(014) The Ravine

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by waysoftheearth » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:50 pm

(014) The Ravine

waysoftheearth wrote:
Gustave leads the effort to get the cart across the ford.

Wibert, not wanting to get wet up to the belly, jumps upon the cart to catch a free ride.

Boris, Fix and Pelenwin move to assist Gustave, and all four are soon soaked to the knees by the bracingly cold water. But between them and some genuine labour they shortly have the little vehicle, and their merry passenger, across the rocky water way.

Boris and Fix plonk themselves down, pull off their boots and empty cup fulls of cold water from them, as the remainder of the group begin to make the crossing also, in a long single file.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:55 pm

(014) The Ravine

waysoftheearth wrote:
Meanwhile, somewhere out in the grassy hills, Nidhogg hunkers lower and creeps ever closer to the crevice. With each stealthy step the animal smell grows stronger, and soon he gains a better view of some of the remains that litter the front of the cave. There is little doubt that some of those bones and pieces of gristle are of animals at least as big as a Dwarf... might that grisly thing there even be the arm of a Man? Hard to tell from this position.

Still no sign of the beast itself, though.

(1d6)
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:06 am

(014) The Ravine

Guest wrote:
Retreat to find the party stealth as he entered but prepared to throw up a shout if the beast is encountered.

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:55 am

(014) The Ravine

waysoftheearth wrote:
By the time the entire company has forded the river, Nidhogg has returned from his foray into the hills.

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:18 pm

(014) The Ravine

verhaden wrote:
Mads the Fair

"What truths do the yonder fields hide?" he says to the dwarf.

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:55 pm

(014) The Ravine

Guest wrote:
"A large critter, though I only saw evidence and not the creature itself, has a burrow that would be suitable for hiding the loot. But it must be a fearsome beast for I could've sworn there were remnants of men, elves and dwarves littered about it's hole. I suspect it is nearby as well. I saw movement and heard rustling in the grasses."

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:08 pm

(014) The Ravine

mushgnome wrote:
[img]defaultavatar.png[/img]/post/61818/threadDec 19, 2010 12:55:11 GMT -6 @ghostofmarx said:"A large critter, though I only saw evidence and not the creature itself, has a burrow that would be suitable for hiding the loot. But it must be a fearsome beast for I could've sworn there were remnants of men, elves and dwarves littered about it's hole. I suspect it is nearby as well. I saw movement and heard rustling in the grasses."

"A predatory animal is unlikely to attack our large, well-armed party in broad daylight. Let us give its lair a wide berth and not get sidetracked from our objective: to capture the tower. Furthermore, the bandits are more likely to have supplies and treasure of value. Once we have the treasure stashed away and a fortified home base, then we may choose to organize a hunting party."

So says Highbough. He grips his spear and watches the grasses for any sign of predators.

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:46 pm

(014) The Ravine

eris wrote:
waysoftheearth wrote:By the time the entire company has forded the river, Nidhogg has returned from his foray into the hills.
Olaf would still like to hide the treasure, cart and horse in the canyon country, but the others want to ford the river, so with a sigh he goes with them.

He has switched from sword and shield to his bow and is keeping an eye out for an knaves that might try to approach the party from atop the ravine.

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:02 am

(014) The Ravine

danhem wrote:
Ulric scratches his chin.

"That may be Highbough, but the beast's lair may be a good place to stash our coin and cart. I don't wish to attack the tower while trying to push this cart across this broken land."

"The remains of men, elves, and dwarves you say? Perhaps there may be something worthwhile there after all. Many a great artifact has been lost to history in the lairs of beasts."

"We should take some time to rest before our renewed attack. Not all of the fighters are fully healed and you and I should spend some time studying appropriate magic."

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:06 am

(014) The Ravine

coffee wrote:
"Resting sounds good," Dieter says. "Now, if you can just convince the knaves to hold off their attacks until we've done so..."

And he grins.

Return to “Hinterlands”