(014) The Ravine

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:41 am

(014) The Ravine

mushgnome wrote:
"I will defend my friends against any foe," swears Highbough, "though I have no particular hatred for wild beasts."
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:35 pm

(014) The Ravine

eris wrote:
mushgnome wrote:"I will defend my friends against any foe," swears Highbough, "though I have no particular hatred for wild beasts."
"I have no particular hatred for wild beasts, either.", says Olaf, "I hunt and kill them for food and to protect crops and flocks, but from the description of its lair, it appears this beast also hunts and kills men."

"We won't be able to safely leave the horse and cart, even guarded, with that threat in the neighborhood."
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:31 pm

(014) The Ravine

Valandil wrote:
"We won't be able to safely leave the horse and cart, even guarded, with that threat in the neighborhood."
"I agree.-says Andaros- If that creature has taken human lives in the past, it will surely do it again in the future. It would be a great deed to slay such a beast. And later, we would have a good place to stash our things, for the moment. Remember that fearsome creatures like this one leave their smell everywhere they live for a while, and that scares lesser monsters, so it would be a safe place, for some time at least. "

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:37 pm

(014) The Ravine

waysoftheearth wrote:
"Safe perhaps," mutters Victor to himself, "But with a feral stink about it, no doubt."

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:08 am

(014) The Ravine

tombowings wrote:
That, my friend," says Pelenwin to Victor, "can be remedied with a stew. I say we march."

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:07 pm

(014) The Ravine

waysoftheearth wrote:
danhem wrote:"We should take some time to rest before our renewed attack. Not all of the fighters are fully healed and you and I should spend some time studying appropriate magic."
Alas, there is little benefit to be had from further rest, unless a full day's leisure is taken.

Any study undertaken in the open wilderness would be... difficult. Better, perhaps, to find some shelter from the chill before casting one's self at thy research.

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:07 pm

(014) The Ravine

waysoftheearth wrote:
A brief discussion is had regarding the intelligence delivered by Nidhogg, and before long the company is more or less agreed that the benefits of investigating this supposed lair are in the fore.

This agreed, the company sets out in much the same marching order as before, with those at the rear lending their shoulders to get the cumbersome cart over ruts and out of ditches. It is surprisingly hot work in the otherwise chill morning -- especially when pushing up hill, and Victor is prone to foul swearing.

However, up front of the column, Nidhogg, Olaf and Dieter soon come into view of the crevice.

It lies in a shallow vale running almost perpendicular to your approach, nestled between two rolling, grassy hills. It is yet some sixty yards further on, and precious little detail can be espied from here...

What to do?

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:24 pm

(014) The Ravine

verhaden wrote:
Mads the Fair

"No doubt our approach hasn't gone unnoticed. Stay alert, everyone." Pausing for a moment, Mads asks "Have we any oil remaining? If the beast is in its lair, we might be able to smoke it out into the open."

"Though, any great smoke might attract more villainous knaves..." He muses aloud.

Post by waysoftheearth » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:52 pm

(014) The Ravine

heartless wrote:
Wibert gets his short bow out ready for a long range attack. "If there be a mean beastie that eats the like of us, I suggest we get our shooting weapons out and guard our back in case it is hunting us. And keep quite to surprise the creature." Wibert will keep an eye behind the group for attacks.

Post by waysoftheearth » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:52 pm

(014) The Ravine

Guest wrote:
Nidhogg will draw his newly acquired bow and notch an arrow ready to draw in an instant. He points out the general direction of the creature's lair. "Whether we hunt or bypass the beast's hole is over there." He then heads about 5 yards away from the group watching to see what they do and keeping his eyes peeled for attack.

Return to “Hinterlands”