(013) The Gatehouse Dunjon


Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

User avatar

Posts: 16470

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:43 am

(013) The Gatehouse Dunjon

waysoftheearth wrote:
Having slain a pair of frightening Ogres and apparently routed the others, the company now occupies what is apparently the main chamber of the Ogre lair.

The hour is well past dinner time, and the party is bone weary from a long day's march and a good hour of treacherous dungeoneering.

With the Ogre corpses hidden, and a sign set to deter other dungeon denizens from investigation, the company sets themselves down at long last for their evening meal.

Such is your hunger and fatigue that no watch is set, and even the rank odour of the Ogre cook-pot isn't enough to put you off your meal of dried meat, fruit and hard tack.

As you all grind your teeth hungrily upon the cold but welcome meal, you have a moment to reflect upon your accomplishments this night;

Four members of the company (Flewellen, Anwyn, Michele and Caine) have been slain since entering this catacomb barely an hour hence. But two intrepid adventurers have been rescued from the Ogres' clutches (Pelenwin and Highbough).

The Ogres' loot and the possession of Anwyn and Michele are arrayed before you (see last post in previous thread) as you complete your meal and realise that you can go no further without rest.


Do you wish to take the Ogres' cauldron off the fire, or tolerate its foul stench?

Do you wish to post a guard for the night?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16470

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:38 am

(013) The Gatehouse Dunjon

eris wrote:
While he chews on his rations Olaf says, "We need rest, but this place has too many openings for my liking."

"I wish we had a more secure location, but it doesn't look like that wish will be realized. We'll need to set guards tonight, and sleep with one eye open even then...and can *someone* take that stinking pot off the fire?"
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16470

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:09 am

(013) The Gatehouse Dunjon

coffee wrote:
Once he has eaten his fill, Dieter will take the cauldron off the fire (assuming there is some method of doing so without burning himself on it -- sticking his trusty crowbar through the handle-loop and lifting if nothing else).

He'll take it out of the chamber and leave it in the hall somewhere (preferably where we're not going anytime soon.)


(OOC: Another quick map wouldn't go amiss...)
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16470

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:00 am

(013) The Gatehouse Dunjon

waysoftheearth wrote:
Even with his mighty strength, Dieter struggles and strains to move the hot caulron which turns out to be half full of a grisly stew.
But move it he does -- outside the double doors (where the majority of the slaughter recently took place). He inadvertently spots awful things floating in the thick, grey broth which might have been hands, eyes, and other body parts, but he grimaces against it and completes the task before returning to the main lair.

coffee wrote:(OOC: Another quick map wouldn't go amiss...)


The situation hasn't changed much since the last map, however, for clarity it is thus;

The party is camped in the Ogre Lair.
The slain Ogres and wolves are in the first two cells (nearest the bottom of the map) in the torture chamber.

##############??#
##############???
##############..##
##############..###
##############..####
## Torture ###..#####
## Chamber ###..########??#######??#
######\#######..########??#######??#
#######\######==########..#######..#
########\.%+.%==\.######..#######..#
####.../.\...%%%..######..#######..#
########......%..%######..#######..##
####.../.......%%+######..#######..#### Ogres'
########.........%######..#######..####/ Lair
####.../.....%%...#####....#####....##/
########.....%...%####......###.....+/#
####.../........%+####.......#....../###
########....%%%...####.......+...../.###
####.../......%..+####+..............###
########..........####............().###
####.../.....%%...####............().###
########........%%####.....@..@....()###
####.../....%%...+####...........@.()###
########.....%%...####...@..........+###
####.../.........+####+...........@..###
########......%+..####.......*.......###
##########..##########..............+###
##########..###########.............###
##########..############+..........##
##########..##############.......###
##########..################===#####
##########..################...###### <-- Highbough's
##########..################...########## Warning Sign
##########..###########..C..........########
##########................................???
############################===#############
############################===#########

@ Ogre palette
() Ogre supply crates
* Ogre cook fire
C Ogre cook pot
+ Manacles pinned to wall
% Engines of torment
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16470

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:06 am

(013) The Gatehouse Dunjon

waysoftheearth wrote:
"Har, that's cleared the air already!" declares Thorgrim, inhaling deeply though his big nose.

You remain dubious.

"We could barricade those passages with the Ogres' sleeping palettes and supply crates," he suggests, scratching his beard thoughtfully, "And our friend Highbough said he had magic that would hold the door fast -- I for one would sleep easier at that!"
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16470

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:44 am

(013) The Gatehouse Dunjon

tonneau wrote:
"I think I agree with you on all but one point, my dear Thorgrim", notes Gustave, wrinkling his nose in obvious distaste at the less-than-agreeable scent in the air.
"I must admit my former gusto has crumbled somewhat beneath a wave of post-gastronomic ennui", he adds apparently to himself, while searching for a suitably flat spot in which to bed down.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16470

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:14 pm

(013) The Gatehouse Dunjon

heartless wrote:
Padrig speaks his mind concerned for everyone's safety while we sleep, "I fear we will get visits tonight, and we must be ready. Before we rest for the night, we should block the 2 rear entrances with say the () Ogre supply crates, and string a rope through the + Manacles pinned to wall to act as a trip wire if company walks in, so to stop or slow down anyone in their tracks. Comes lets do it all together. Then post 2-3 guards at a time for each watch (evening, night, morning) with 3 in the morning to be safe. I will take the night watch with an other". Padrig will have his bow ready to fire with shield and spear beside them.

Padrig will try on Anwyn's elven gloves, and if they fit will use them. "I thank thee Anwyn for your valor and hope I can uses these gloves and arrows as you did to safe guard our group in times of trouble," prays Padrig. He will restock his arrows with Anwyn's (3 arrows and 6 silver arrows plus spare bow-string) and use a purse full of Anwyn's and Michele's coin to safe guard as treasure for the group (2 sp and 18 cp).
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16470

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:03 pm

(013) The Gatehouse Dunjon

mushgnome wrote:
waysoftheearth wrote:"We could barricade those passages with the Ogres' sleeping palettes and supply crates," he suggests, scratching his beard thoughtfully, "And our friend Highbough said he had magic that would hold the door fast -- I for one would sleep easier at that!"


Highbough shakes his head. "Young master Dwarf, my reserves are spent and my memory clouded from many days of torture. Let me rest a while and rise for 3rd watch with my energies refreshed. Meantime, is there a mundane means to lock, deadbolt, or barricade this door?"

Before he tucks his tired old bones into his bedroll, Highbough pockets Michele's pouch of glass marbles. (OOC: And good riddance to that cursed arbelast!)
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16470

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:24 pm

(013) The Gatehouse Dunjon

coffee wrote:
"I'll take the first watch," Dieter proclaims. "Then I can get a good, solid sleep."
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16470

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:30 pm

(013) The Gatehouse Dunjon

waysoftheearth wrote:
Padrig and Thorgrim's plan is agreed upon, and several of the stronger Men put the last of their strength to use hauling the Ogres' crates and palettes into the passageways. A rope is also slung across the width of the place, anchored to manacles at either end, and the front door is shut and barred against intrusion.

With your position so secured, and the cook-fire still burning low but steadily, you settle in for the night.

Dieter volunteers for the first watch, and the other fighting-Men are well-pleased to peal off their heavy armour and lay down their packs and arms. The padded gambesons they wear beneath their mail serves well as impromptu night clothes, and before anyone thinks to say "good night" the exhausted heroes are fast asleep...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
Next

Return to Hinterlands

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software