(054) The Leverets of Ket

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:26 pm

(054) The Leverets of Ket

Beringar, your adventure starts... now.

Olaf and Beringar are here.

Somewhere out in the heathlands south-west of Ket, Beringar has been trapping leverets for their pelts. He's had less than his fair share of luck, he reckons, the little animals being scarcer than he'd hoped, and a good bit more wary too. Having caught just two of the blighters in as many days he resolved to return to Ket... but that was when the burning started. Seeing the grim smoke palls, he instead resolved to wait out whatever trouble it augured in the heathlands and return in a few days.
Eris wrote:Olaf continues with his hunt, moving cautiously and carefully. He will keep his eyes and ears open for signs of prey...as well as signs of Goblin patrols that might be out and about...
Now, along comes Olaf, a lanky young hunter with sharp eyes, and kit for war. Carefully, cautiously, he comes, bow in hand, looking for game...

Beringar, who had been napping under the heath, sits up all of a sudden -- not 20 yards from Olaf -- popping out of the heath like a jack in the box. The pair spot one another...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by Olroda » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:36 am

Re: (054) The Leverets of Ket

Upon seeing the bow in the hands of the young warrior, Beringar immediately goes for his shield, and stands up, looking suspiciously at the newcomer.

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:29 am

Beringar's eyes quickly pass over a number of scars on the young man's arms and face, his weathered togs and boots, and tell tale dings and nicks around his sword belt and shield; it's clear this lad here has seen some fightin' days...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by Eris » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:10 pm

Olroda wrote:Upon seeing the bow in the hands of the young warrior, Beringar immediately goes for his shield, and stands up, looking suspiciously at the newcomer.
"Ho there, friend!" Olaf calls quietly to the man popping up from the undergrowth, "I mean you no harm. I'm just hunting for some food, and trying to stay out of the way of Goblin patrols."

Olaf will approach Beringar, continuing to be cautious, but flashing him a smile and hold out his hand to shake, "With Snorks and their kind on the warpath, men should stick together, don't you think?"
[f=4]Manfreid the Fighter (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 1+2, hp 10/10, FC Man+1, N) silver mail+helm, sword+shield[/f]

Post by Olroda » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:27 am

Beringar nods and gives Olaf a reluctant handshake.

"I thought you were one of them for a moment or two, but now, up close, I see that you're far more handsome than any of their ilk."

Then, with a grin that shows off his yellow teeth, he continues, "I've been out hunting too, for a couple of days, but there's little to be found. Caught two scrawny leverets in as many days, and then someone got awful careless with fire back in Ket." He spits.

While still being careful, Beringar is relieved to see a friendly face, and will try to inquire about the situation around Ket, while offering the lad and himself some cold scraps left from yesterday's leveret supper.

Post by Eris » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:04 pm

Olroda wrote:Beringar nods and gives Olaf a reluctant handshake.

"I thought you were one of them for a moment or two, but now, up close, I see that you're far more handsome than any of their ilk."
Olaf laughs, "First time I've been called handsome, even compared to a Snork."
Then, with a grin that shows off his yellow teeth, he continues, "I've been out hunting too, for a couple of days, but there's little to be found. Caught two scrawny leverets in as many days, and then someone got awful careless with fire back in Ket." He spits.
"Yeah, the party I'm with was coming back to town after completing a mission for the Sisters at the Abbey in Ket." Olaf says, "We say the smoke and approached town cautiously. It looks like an army of Gobs and Hobs have taken the place, so we're retreating to a safe distance to decide what to do."

"We need to get in there to rescue the Sisters of Mercy if we can. I wouldn't be adverse to taking out a few dozen Snorks while we're at it, but we'll have to see how it goes, I guess." Olaf adds with a shrug.
While still being careful, Beringar is relieved to see a friendly face, and will try to inquire about the situation around Ket, while offering the lad and himself some cold scraps left from yesterday's leveret supper.
Olaf will accept the cold scraps and invite Beringar to join him on the hike back to the ruins, "In times like these, there is safety in numbers. Even if you don't join us long term, we and you'd be better off with an extra sword in case the Gobs and Hobs find us."
[f=4]Manfreid the Fighter (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 1+2, hp 10/10, FC Man+1, N) silver mail+helm, sword+shield[/f]

Post by Olroda » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:22 pm

Beringar considers the situation for a moment while nibbling on his share of the scraps. On one hand, Olaf could be trying to trick him, but on the other hand, he seems like an honest sort. With gobbos and other scum prowling the countryside, there's indeed safety in numbers, especially so if the numbers are made up of dependable warriors... Dependable warriors on a holy mission, no less. Besides, there might be plenty of loot to be had in such a company!

"You speak some sense, lad. I'm Beringar, and if snorks need croaking, I'm your man."

Giving his beard a thorough scratching, he continues, "Let me just round up my effects, and we're off. No sense in wasting daylight."

If the lad approves, Beringar will gather his kit, get his arms and armour, and take a leak on the fireplace to extinguish any twigs that might still be smoldering from yesterday's fire.

Post by Eris » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:40 pm

Olroda wrote:Beringar considers the situation for a moment while nibbling on his share of the scraps. On one hand, Olaf could be trying to trick him, but on the other hand, he seems like an honest sort. With gobbos and other scum prowling the countryside, there's indeed safety in numbers, especially so if the numbers are made up of dependable warriors... Dependable warriors on a holy mission, no less. Besides, there might be plenty of loot to be had in such a company!

"You speak some sense, lad. I'm Beringar, and if snorks need croaking, I'm your man."

Giving his beard a thorough scratching, he continues, "Let me just round up my effects, and we're off. No sense in wasting daylight."

If the lad approves, Beringar will gather his kit, get his arms and armour, and take a leak on the fireplace to extinguish any twigs that might still be smoldering from yesterday's fire.
"Right! I will keep watch while you prepare.", says Olaf and he does keep an eye on the countryside and on Beringar as well. The young man nods with approval seeing Beringar's arms. The man is more than a simple trapper, as he suspected.

"This way" Olaf leads off, "We are meeting up at some ruins up ahead. I was looping around, hunting, but now we'll cut over and try to intercept the party before they reach the rally site."

Post by Olroda » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:36 pm

"Very well. Lead on."

When he's ready, Beringar will follow Olaf.

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:19 am

Olaf keeps a look out as Beringar leads him a short way through the heath to what might be a hare warren; a complex of burrow and tunnel entries beneath shrubs and bushes.

The would be pelt-hunter gathers up his meager, empty snares with a disdainful grunt. The warren hardly proved productive!

Then the pair are off, Olaf leading the way at a steady lope.

The ruin lies a hundred yards directly ahead on a raised knoll. Beringar had given the place a wide berth on his way out, not knowing who (or what) might be squatting there, but he follows Olaf there cautiously none-the-less.

Even before they reach the summit, the faint echoes of clanging and shouting carry to their ears from across the heath. The unmistakable sound of trouble from somewhere beyond the ruin...

Return to “Hinterlands”