(012) Beneath the Gatehouse

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:43 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
Andaros lights the way ahead into the cold, grim torture chamber -- where long shadows dance eerily upon the stark walls. The ghastly green fumes from the stink bomb seem to have vanished altogether, leaving behind only a scarcely discernible layer of fine green dust.

(1d6)

Meanwhile, Olaf relieves Highbough of the strain of dragging dead Ogre-flesh, lending his superior arm to the task, while Highbow takes hold of another guttering torch.

Padrig and Olaf huff and struggle, and eventually, with five or so more minutes of noisy, sweaty work, the first of the great corpses is moved.

With this done, the others head back for the second corpse while Highbough peers at the door at the upper end of the torture chamber. It hanging thrust open with several of its ancient timbers dashed and split. The door itself still looks quite serviceable, and beyond is a cold dark passage...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:05 pm

tonneau wrote:
Back in the nesting chamber, Gustave draws his blade and makes a few practice motions in the air, "While our companions play with corpses, I suggest we make at least one more", he says.
"Dieter will lead us", he adds, nodding at the warrior,"I suggest a few others would serve us well...Thorgrim? Ulric?"
"Let us choose a passage and hunt us some ogre...", he finishes, approaching the left passage to the north.
He halts at the darkened passage way, "Err...does anyone have a torch perchance...?"
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:48 pm

waysoftheearth wrote:
I believe Dieter is (wisely) in search of some restorative.

Padrig is able, once his corpse shifting chores are done with, to apply his supplication. Or else a full night's rest is required.

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:50 pm

waysoftheearth wrote:
Everyone is bone weary from an over full day's trials.

Your stomachs are complaining that it is well past your usual evening meal.

Post by waysoftheearth » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:34 am

heartless wrote:
Once our new temporary home is clear of bodies Padrig speaks, "I have 2 healing scrolls I would like to keep for dire emergency, which Olaf is thankful for. But given a safe quiet room for a night with my parchment and pen I could create more."

OOC: At 2nd level I can memorise 1 spell, so I am stuck with scrolls at first level.
heartless wrote: Before leaving Padrig will purchase from his meager funds: writting ink(1sp)x2, Quill, steel nibbed(1gp), and Parchment, 6 leaves(1sp). Just in case Padrig needs to make some healing spells during the adventure.
"I think we need to rest the night to get back our strength, but first we must make safe this room form attacks. Can we have a quick look at what is behind those two doors in the back on this ogre lure. I guess this is where the escaping ogre has gone and may return by. We have be ready for any thing this time", says Padrig.

Post by waysoftheearth » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:50 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
heartless wrote:Can we have a quick look at what is behind those two doors in the back on this ogre lure.
A very quick look reveals there are no doors at all, merely gaping passages that lead into cold, pitch darkness...

Gustave is champing at the bit to investigate one of them, so long as bold Dieter leads the way.

However, fatigue and hunger may dictate otherwise.

Post by waysoftheearth » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:52 pm

mushgnome wrote:
Highbough shouts into the dark passageway: "Can you hear me, friends?"

Post by waysoftheearth » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:30 pm

coffee wrote:
"Part of me really wants to rest," Dieter says. "But the suspicious part of me says that that's when the bloody ogre will strike. So it'd be better to hunt him down now."

And with that, he hefts his sword and leads off.

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:06 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
mushgnome wrote:Highbough shouts into the dark passageway: "Can you hear me, friends?"

Alone now in the grim torture chamber, Highbough pushes his way past the shambles of toppled torture equipment to the stair, and to the damaged door. His torch light flickers eerily as he approaches, causing tall shadows to dance chaotically upon the grimy walls.

The door creaks mildly as the Elf pushes it aside to peer deeper into the deeper dark of passage. Ahead, at the very limit of his perception, Highbough can scarcely make out what might be an intersection.

He calls out, but the blackness seems to swallow his voice entirely, and a moment later it is as if he had never uttered a word. No reply comes from beyond... and Highbough feels the edge of his vulnerability keenly...

(Due to his prolonged captivity, Highbough's memory of The Trammel is not crystal clear. He will need to roll a memory check if he attempts to conjure this magic from memory alone.)

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:10 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
coffee wrote:"Part of me really wants to rest," Dieter says. "But the suspicious part of me says that that's when the bloody ogre will strike. So it'd be better to hunt him down now."

And with that, he hefts his sword and leads off.
Does Dieter lead off into the passage to the left, or the passage to the right?

Behind him, Thorgrim thrusts a torch into the embers of the Ogres' cook fire to ignite it, in preparing to follow after Gustave and Dieter.

"These Men are hardier than I thought," he grumbles, thinking upon his poor stomach.

Return to “Hinterlands”