(012) Beneath the Gatehouse

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:34 pm

tombowings wrote:
Pelewin agrees. "Now that that they have fled, we must prepare to strike before the beasts can organize their numbers," he says.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:44 pm

tonneau wrote:
"With our rear guarded thus", notes Gustave, eyeing the text upon the wall, "perhaps it is time to mount a hunt for this 'deggarhund'", he suggests.
"Though my body is weary, I will not sleep while his skinking bulk lurks in the shadows."
"Dieter, you should now be well versed in ogre anatomy - may I suggest that you lead. I, and I am sure others of us, will gladly follow in your wake".
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:06 pm

coffee wrote:
"Sure, I'll lead," Dieter says. "I still owe that ogre."

"But tell me, does anybody have any healing magic? I could use some, and I'd guess some of you others could as well."

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:02 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
mushgnome wrote:"I have not had the pleasure of visiting this room next door of which you speak; lead the way..." says Highbough.
With a quick explanation, Padrig conveys the approximate layout of this level (or so much as he has explored), which amounts to something like what follows. The torture chamber is on the left of picture, and the Ogre lair is on the right of picture.

##############??###
##############..####
##############..#####
##############==######
########..%+.%==\.#####
####.../.....%%%..#####
########......%..%######??####
####.../.......%%+######..#######??##
########.........%######..#######..###
####.../.....%%...#####....#####....###
########.....%...%####......###.....+##
####.../........%+####.......#.......###
########....%%%...####.......+.......###
####.../......%..+####+..............###
########..........####............().###
####.../.....%%...####............().###
########........%%####.....@..@....()###
####.../....%%...+####...........@.()###
########.....%%...####...@..........+###
####.../.........+####+...........@..###
########......%+..####.......X.......###
##########..##########..............+###
##########..###########.............###
##########..############+..........##
##########..##############.......###
##########..################===#####
##########..################...######
##########..################...#########
##########..###########.............######
##########................................??
############################===###########
############################===#########

@ Ogre palette
() Ogre supply crates
X Ogre cook pot
+ Manacles pinned to wall
% Engines of torment

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:12 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
danhem wrote:Ulric inspects the flask carefully and studies the strange writing.
By the steady yellow light of his faithful lantern Ulric does examine the copper flask. It is surprising weighty for its compact size -- mayhap half the size of a wineskin or flagon of lamp fuel -- and clearly made by an experienced craft. It would, perhaps, be beautiful if it were not dinged and spoiled by ages of corrosion. The etchings are only clearly visible after Ulric works free some of the accumulated grime with his fingers.

Now what are these tiny etchings...? Be they characters or art?

(1d6)

Nay, whatever the markings are they cannot be read by his wise eyes. They must be merely an artisan's decorations, Ulric decides.

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
coffee wrote:"But tell me, does anybody have any healing magic? I could use some, and I'd guess some of you others could as well."
Padrig possess two more scrolls penned with The Supplication of Medicant Requite. Additionally, his magnificent tome -- the Elysian Mecum -- contains a further copy of the same.

However, a full night's rest will serve you equally well. Assuming you can actually get a full night's rest.

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:57 pm

mushgnome wrote:
Highbough will help Padrig hide the ogre corpses in the torture chamber. Then he will cut through the unexplored north passage that (presumably) connects back to the central chamber. On the way through, he checks the door to see whether it still works or is completely smashed.

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:49 pm

waysoftheearth wrote:
Padrig and Highbough set about dragging off the first of the two Ogre corpses -- electing to begin with the one nearer to the passageway. The thing is enormously heavy and awkward, and wretchedly foul. It freely spills bile, blood and a most noxious stench from its fatal wounds, smearing the passage with such gore as the two Elves strain to drag it along the passage.

This is going to take them a full turn for to drag each corpse into the torture chamber. It will help somewhat if they clear out the bodies of the dead wolves out of the passage way, and it certainly wouldn't hurt if someone else would hold a torch aloft to light the way...

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:25 pm

eris wrote:
waysoftheearth wrote:Padrig and Highbough set about dragging off the first of the two Ogre corpses -- electing to begin with the one nearer to the passageway. The thing is enormously heavy and awkward, and wretchedly foul. It freely spills bile, blood and a most noxious stench from its fatal wounds, smearing the passage with such gore as the two Elves strain to drag it along the passage.

This is going to take them a full turn for to drag each corpse into the torture chamber. It will help somewhat if they clear out the bodies of the dead wolves out of the passage way, and it certainly wouldn't hurt if someone else would hold a torch aloft to light the way...
Olaf sees the elves struggling and says, "Ah, hell! Let me help with that! One of you hold a torch and keep a lookout while I help the other drag the foul creatures."

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:04 am

Valandil wrote:
eris wrote:
waysoftheearth wrote:Padrig and Highbough set about dragging off the first of the two Ogre corpses -- electing to begin with the one nearer to the passageway. The thing is enormously heavy and awkward, and wretchedly foul. It freely spills bile, blood and a most noxious stench from its fatal wounds, smearing the passage with such gore as the two Elves strain to drag it along the passage.

Olaf sees the elves struggling and says, "Ah, hell! Let me help with that! One of you hold a torch and keep a lookout while I help the other drag the foul creatures."
Andaros will borrow a torch from Padrig, light it, and light the way so the others can carry the bodies more comfortably. He has the torch in his right hand, and his shield on his left arm. He will keep an eye on the torture chamber, in case the Ogre (or more of his puppies) return.

Return to “Hinterlands”