(011) The Expedition North


Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

User avatar

Posts: 16466

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:56 pm

(011) The Expedition North

makofan wrote:
Caine steals back to tell the party what he has seen. He suggests the whole group try their luck with the door - an armed reconnaissance
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16466

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:41 pm

(011) The Expedition North

tombowings wrote:
"I'd rather not have to make a armed retreat in total darkness. It might be better if we camped here, right outside the door for the night, "Says Flewellen, "waiting till tomorrow to take a tab at the interior)
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16466

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:18 pm

(011) The Expedition North

eris wrote:
tombowings wrote:"I'd rather not have to make a armed retreat in total darkness. It might be better if we camped here, right outside the door for the night, "Says Flewellen, "waiting till tomorrow to take a tab at the interior)

"I'd rather not have whatever is behind that door come out in total darkness and attack us in the night, either." Olaf says, "Why don't we retreat, at least, back around the bend and camp. Perhaps set out some traps or noise makers between where we camp and that door as well, to give us some warning when whatever it is comes out tonight."

"In fact, it looks like there is no way to get the mule and cart up out of this canyon, and where we are down here is just inviting being trapped with no line of retreat at all. I wouldn't be greatly opposed to retreating back down the river out of this canyon tomorrow and trying a different approach." Olaf says, "Though, I suspect I'll be out voted on that proposal."
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16466

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:20 pm

(011) The Expedition North

waysoftheearth wrote:
"I don't think much of these," mutters Victor, poking a pile of bones with his foot distastefully. And then spits.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16466

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:33 pm

(011) The Expedition North

tonneau wrote:
"Darkness is darkness, however", notes Gustave profetically, "I imagine that it will be dark in there", he motions toward the door in the cavern wall, "whether the sun is shining or not."
"Unless you gentlemen...and", he nods toward Anwyn, "...ladies, need your beauty nap, we would do as well to venture in now as in the morning."
"I would rather confront the danger in there on our terms now, than sit here amid these bones waiting for it to come to us in our sleep."
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16466

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:08 am

(011) The Expedition North

heartless wrote:
"I say lets try to open the door and seek a safer place within, but if the door is not easily opened lets retreat out of this canyon as Olaf suggests, as this spot is filled with danger for us out here in the open", says Padrig.

"Someone light a lantern and torch for light."

"Anwyn and Caine can you please detect traps on the door and then we can try opening the door, with brute force if need be. I will come with you, but let us all be tied with a rope to an anchor point so if we fall we can be pulled up to safely."

"Any other ideas anyone?"
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16466

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:35 am

(011) The Expedition North

waysoftheearth wrote:
With only the light of dusk upon the stone works above, and a premonition of the evening's chill already about the canyon floor Padrig sets his bulky pack down and extracts a torch from a bundle of such and then works at striking flint against steel to set a spark to a tiny bundle of dry tinder. Meanwhile Anwyn leaps enthusiastically up to iron door and begins searching about its edges carefully while the company discusses its course.

"Well I ain't settin' foot in there fer less than double pay," declares Boris resolutely, glaring at a bundle of old bones with distaste.

"Nor I," agrees Fix.

And there seems no possibility of getting the cart up the rough stair. Someone will likely have to watch over the mule and supplies even if the rest venture in to explore whatever lies beyond the iron door.

(1d6) "I see nothing untoward," chirps Anwyn merrily, just as Padrig gets his torch afire, and then (wisdom 6) she heaves mightily on the great iron door ring.

(1d6=6) Despite her fine build, the Elf maid's strength is formidable. The heavy iron ring gives a hoarse creak, and then there is the extended grind of rusted hinges turning as she drags the heavy door slowly to half way open.

"It's open," she beams, and peers into the dark passage yonder.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16466

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:45 am

(011) The Expedition North

waysoftheearth wrote:
Olaf, whose eyes are sharper than most, is the first to notice the twinkle of a torch fire glimmering from amid the broken stone-work above, on the opposite lip of the canyon... perhaps only two or three score yards distant.

And if you can see their light, well it might only be moments before they see Padrig's flickering fire...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16466

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:57 pm

(011) The Expedition North

danhem wrote:
Ulric looks at the two mercenaries sternly.

"What exactly did you think we would be doing out here?" he asks. Ulric shakes his head and studies their nervous expressions. "Never mind. Take the mule and cart back around the bend in the river out of site of the bridge and wait for us there."

Ulric secures his lantern and oil from the wagon as well as his pack leaving only his bedroll and trail rations behind and prepares to follow the others up the stairs.

OOC: Waysoftheearth, shall I assume Ulric was able to memorize a new spell during the previous period of rest?

OOC: I think that Victor should go with Boris and Fix to be sure they don't run off.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16466

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:15 pm

(011) The Expedition North

waysoftheearth wrote:
danhem wrote:OOC: shall I assume Ulric was able to memorize a new spell during the previous period of rest?


Yes, Ulric would have done so. Tell me which two spells Ulric has memorised.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
PreviousNext

Return to Hinterlands

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 8 guests

cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software