(011) The Expedition North

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:34 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
Mads pace a score of yards back from the main company and sits atop a small hillock to chew upon his dried fruit and meat, while keeps a surveying eye upon the road back toward Ket, and the lands about.

The steady drizzle persists, making all the lands about grey and wet. Visibility is further reduced by the humid fog that seems to cling to the air just above the heath. The steady patter of the rain is all that can be heard.

Meanwhile, back at the main camp, Ulric hands out a couple of days worth of rations and 8 silver shillings to each of Boris and Fix, which brightens their outlook significantly.

"A nice day for a stroll in tha rain, as I was just sayin'," chuckles Boris, ripping into a large handful of dried fruit hungrily.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:48 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
The small, bleak meal is over with quickly and the company finds itself setting out again all too soon.

Anwyn returns from the stream to report it impossible to fish in this weather, and takes up a shift encouraging the mule, by singing a jaunty lullaby in Elvish. The mule seems more interested in getting his nose into her supplies, but either way, she has the beast and the cart moving.

Olaf and Dieter stride a score or so yards ahead into the gloomy drizzle, while Mads and Padrig fall in two dozen yards or so behind the company to either side. Mads has the river side, Padrig the heath.

After a reasonably good start, the rest of the company soon find that they are spending as much time man-handling the cart over the rutted ground as not, for the road has become as rude as ever, and progress is frequently frustrated.

After several more hours of this, the rain finally abates, although the thick cover of dark cloud remains unperturbed.

Ahead of the company, Olaf and Dieter find themselves on a gentle descent, and see off a hundred yards ahead and to their right a dense copse of heath and brushy trees. These might provide a little cover or shelter for the coming night, if nothing else.

Or, if the company choose to continue, they could pass through the eighty yards of open ground between the copse and the stream and be a three hours beyond by dusk.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:51 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
danhem wrote:OOC: I didn't see oiled cloaks in the equipment list.
You have but to ask... I've added clothing to the price lists [img]images/smiley/smiley.png[/img]

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:26 pm

danhem wrote:
"I would prefer to have some shelter for the night. If we continue we may end sleeping in the open."

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:50 pm

eris wrote:
danhem wrote:"I would prefer to have some shelter for the night. If we continue we may end sleeping in the open."
Olaf returns to the party to report and nods at this, "If we camp in the sheltered area for tonight, we'll have time to do a little scouting of the surrounding area before dark. Might also be able to do a bit of hunting."

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:42 pm

coffee wrote:
"I agree," Dieter says to Olaf. "You go hunt and we'll set up camp. Shout if you get killed or anything."

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:47 pm

verhaden wrote:
Mads the Fair

Moving up to the rest of the group. "Setting up camp and scouting the surrounding area would so us some good. I don't think we have to worry about giant spiders, but I'll take first watch tonight in any case."

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:07 pm

tombowings wrote:
Flewellen, not is the mood to sit around, looks out onto the landscape. "I'm going for a walk. I'll tell you if I find anything of interest." His real intention, however, is to scout out of the area in search of rare flowers, herbs, and sands that may be of use in the making potions.

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:25 pm

eris wrote:
coffee wrote:"I agree," Dieter says to Olaf. "You go hunt and we'll set up camp. Shout if you get killed or anything."
Olaf laughs aloud at Dieter's comment, "I'll be sure to shout *really* loud."

"So, who'll join me?" Olaf asks looking around "Who's a good hunter? Anwyn? Mads? Padrig?"

Flewellen, not is the mood to sit around, looks out onto the landscape. "I'm going for a walk. I'll tell you if I find anything of interest." His real intention, however, is to scout out of the area in search of rare flowers, herbs, and sands that may be of use in the making potions.
"Flewellen, you're free to join the hunting party if you want." Olaf says, "If you go off on your own, though, please be careful. This is very much, wild country."

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:37 pm

tombowings wrote:
eris wrote:"Flewellen, you're free to join the hunting party if you want." Olaf says, "If you go off on your own, though, please be careful. This is very much, wild country."
"Thanks you, my friend, I will join the hunting party. But my skill with a bow is little, I will be but a tracker and a skinner," says Fewellen. "Allow me to comb the ground for precious herbs and roots while you track, however; a potent form of magic hides within even the most mundane juices and powders, and I foresee us needing all of the help we can get."

Return to “Hinterlands”