(011) The Expedition North


Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

User avatar

Posts: 16442

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:38 pm

(011) The Expedition North

makofan wrote:
Caine is here for some loot. "C'mon Padrig, let's go in!"
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16442

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:07 pm

(011) The Expedition North

mushgnome wrote:
Michele has dreamed of adventure (and treasure) his whole life; he votes for exploring what lies behind the mysterious door. Besides, what could possibly be worse than dwarf-slaying swamp monsters?

Needless to say he will winch and load his arbalest before entering.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16442

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:14 pm

(011) The Expedition North

eris wrote:
waysoftheearth wrote:Olaf, whose eyes are sharper than most, is the first to notice the twinkle of a torch fire glimmering from amid the broken stone-work above, on the opposite lip of the canyon... perhaps only two or three score yards distant.

And if you can see their light, well it might only be moments before they see Padrig's flickering fire...

"Kill your torch, Padrig!" Olaf whispers hoarsely, "Look he points out the twinkle of light coming from up on the opposite lip of the canyon."

"They may be friend, and they may be foe, but where we are right now puts in in great danger from any sort of ranged weapons."
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16442

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:17 pm

(011) The Expedition North

eris wrote:
waysoftheearth wrote:With only the light of dusk upon the stone works above, and a premonition of the evening's chill already about the canyon floor Padrig sets his bulky pack down and extracts a torch from a bundle of such and then works at striking flint against steel to set a spark to a tiny bundle of dry tinder. Meanwhile Anwyn leaps enthusiastically up to iron door and begins searching about its edges carefully while the company discusses its course.

"Well I ain't settin' foot in there fer less than double pay," declares Boris resolutely, glaring at a bundle of old bones with distaste.

"Nor I," agrees Fix.

"If we go in, you two will stay here and guard the mule and cart." Olaf says gruffly, "Does that suit you?"

(1d6) "I see nothing untoward," chirps Anwyn merrily, just as Padrig gets his torch afire, and then (wisdom 6) she heaves mightily on the great iron door ring.

(1d6=6) Despite her fine build, the Elf maid's strength is formidable. The heavy iron ring gives a hoarse creak, and then there is the extended grind of rusted hinges turning as she drags the heavy door slowly to half way open.

"It's open," she beams, and peers into the dark passage yonder.

"So much for any sort of secrecy." Olaf sighs and points at the twinkling light from the opposite lip of the canyon, "Before we venture inside, let us deal with whoever is shining yon light."
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16442

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:37 pm

(011) The Expedition North

coffee wrote:
eris wrote:"So much for any sort of secrecy." Olaf sighs and points at the twinkling light from the opposite lip of the canyon, "Before we venture inside, let us deal with whoever is shining yon light."


"Go about it gently, though," Dieter warns. "The way things have been going, it's another blighted soul that wants to join us."
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16442

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:33 pm

(011) The Expedition North

waysoftheearth wrote:
Padrig shields the flare of his torch from those above with his body, as first Caine, then Padrig slip into the entrance way of mysterious tunnel.

Meanwhile, Boris and Fix, and the grumbling Victor, agree to haul the cart and mule back around the last bend and set up camp out of sight of whomever is atop the canyon. They set off in the dying light of dusk to do so.

Michele spends a minute loading his arbelast -- a great, awkward thing to be lugging around in confined tunnels. Olaf peers up at the glimmer of light above... even with his sharp eyes he cannot discern much more in the gloomy evening. All one can suppose is that the ruinous gatehouse on the eastern side of the canyon must be occupied by someone, or something.

Meanwhile, this mysterious tunnel leads into the earth beneath the gatehouse of the western side of the canyon...

(Continued in thread (012)...)
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
Previous

Return to Hinterlands

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software