(010) Preparations


Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

User avatar

Posts: 16479

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:06 am

(010) Preparations

tonneau wrote:
As Gustave has no idea what the party has in mind, he lets Caine do the talking, but orders himself a wine to fill the time and, of course, will butt in when necessary to lubricate negotiations...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16479

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:30 am

(010) Preparations

waysoftheearth wrote:
Gustave has as much as any of the others in where the party goes next. Ulric has even shown him the map of the region (see http://odd74.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=hinterlands&thread=3486&page=4#46931here).

Once every one is kitted out and selected a destination, the expedition can get underway.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16479

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:44 am

(010) Preparations

danhem wrote:
Ulric finds a quiet spot in the Plow to study the map. He looks for another promising ruin close by Ket.

"Perhaps we should hold off on our return to the keep until things settle a little," he says to Flewellen. "With the rumors of Simon the Humble and the army of raiders already here it would appear that our 'friends' have already fallen back in with the hobgoblin rank and file. There appear to be many places to explore on this map. Any one of them could contain more hidden secrets."
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16479

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:06 am

(010) Preparations

eris wrote:
danhem wrote:Ulric finds a quiet spot in the Plow to study the map. He looks for another promising ruin close by Ket.

"Perhaps we should hold off on our return to the keep until things settle a little," he says to Flewellen. "With the rumors of Simon the Humble and the army of raiders already here it would appear that our 'friends' have already fallen back in with the hobgoblin rank and file. There appear to be many places to explore on this map. Any one of them could contain more hidden secrets."

Olaf comes wandering into the inn and spies Ulric and Flewellen over in the corner. He walks over and joins them at their table.

"How goes the studying?" he asks as he pulls up a chair and sits down.

"Oh, the map!" Olaf says very quietly as he peers over at the parchment, "I don't think we should go back to the keep. I think we might want to go another direction entirely."

Speaking quietly, Olaf adds, "From what I've been able to piece together, the Traders' Council has hired a bunch of goblins...snorks...into the town guard and as tax collectors out on the roads leading from Ket back to the empire, and...I suspect you know what I think, eh?"

"My thoughts are that we should leave here sooner than later and do it quietly."
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16479

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:11 am

(010) Preparations

eris wrote:
waysoftheearth wrote:While the more scholarly types are lost in their study, Olaf manages to pawn his leather armour for 5sp (charisma 8), and then restocks his quiver and gets himself fitted out with some chainmail and a helm. The thick-armed, stout smith along Flea street raises a sooty eye-brow, "That's tha thrid coat o'chain I've sold in two days! Tha last ov 'em too. Anyone'd think we was at war!"

Olaf chuckles at that and shrugs his shoulder, "Nah, no war, but I'm looking to hire on with a caravan as a guard and I've heard tell there's some brigands and bandits about, you know. Better a coat of mail than a thin leather jacket if there be brigands about."

So equipped, and with the power of the scepter in his pack, Olaf's new AC is 3 -- he feels quite imprevious!

So protected, Olaf saunters the streets listening to the chat and gossip for a day or so (1d6).

It is a pity his ears are not so sharp as his eyes, for Olaf takes a couple of days to piece together the following information; Lord Ingo Gottfried is off with his Knights in distant parts doing knightly deeds, and has been for more than a year. Nobody knows when he is expected to return.

In his absence the Traders' Council has assumed greater control for the continued protection of everyone, and, by the influence of Trader Grumolg -- a particularly wealthy Snork Trader -- has elected to hire a Snork militia to maintian order. The Snork mercenaries may well be cheap, but some feel they have taken too keenly to their role as enforcers of the Council's will, and many of the Traders are now maintaining private militias in addition to the protection provided by Ket -- or (some will say), because of it.

So... Ingo Gottfried is the (absentee) rightful Lord of these parts. The Traders' Council is maintaining order on his behalf. The Snork militia is in the employ of the Traders' Council.

Olaf will pass all of this along to the rest of the party, quietly.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16479

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:24 am

(010) Preparations

coffee wrote:
While all this is going on, Dieter will buy some more rations. He feels content with the arms and armor he currently has.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16479

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:13 pm

(010) Preparations

danhem wrote:
eris wrote:Olaf says very quietly as he peers over at the parchment, "I don't think we should go back to the keep. I think we might want to go another direction entirely." Speaking quietly, Olaf adds, "From what I've been able to piece together, the Traders' Council has hired a bunch of goblins...snorks...into the town guard and as tax collectors out on the roads leading from Ket back to the empire, and...I suspect you know what I think, eh?"
"My thoughts are that we should leave here sooner than later and do it quietly."


"I agree. We may wish to purchase some mules or even a wagon to conceal our weapons and armor as we pass through the gate. The departure of a heavily armed band of humans, elves, and a dwarf would certainly be noticed and likely followed."
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16479

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:20 pm

(010) Preparations

eris wrote:
danhem wrote:
eris wrote:Olaf says very quietly as he peers over at the parchment, "I don't think we should go back to the keep. I think we might want to go another direction entirely." Speaking quietly, Olaf adds, "From what I've been able to piece together, the Traders' Council has hired a bunch of goblins...snorks...into the town guard and as tax collectors out on the roads leading from Ket back to the empire, and...I suspect you know what I think, eh?"
"My thoughts are that we should leave here sooner than later and do it quietly."


"I agree. We may wish to purchase some mules or even a wagon to conceal our weapons and armor as we pass through the gate. The departure of a heavily armed band of humans, elves, and a dwarf would certainly be noticed and likely followed."

Olaf nods, "Good idea, but I have no idea what mules or a wagon would cost and I'm about out of coin myself."

"Hum, what about we head up that way..." Olaf traces along the river toward what looks like a bridge crossing the river to the left of Ket? We could take the road, or strike out cross country...and is that what looks like the ruins of a castle further up the river past the bridge?"
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16479

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:08 am

(010) Preparations

waysoftheearth wrote:
It is an ably conceived plan. Your best bet for a wagon or cart would be one of the Bow street carpenters or cartwrights for the cart, and one of the surrounding farmsteads for the mule. Market day is coming around again in two or three more days, or you could send someone out to the farms in search of a mule to buy.

A small, basic two wheeled cart (40 stone capacity, towed by a single animal, or perhaps even a couple of strong Men) will take a day or two to construct and cost 16sp. A four wheeled wagon (120 stone capacity, towed by two or more animals) will take three or four days to construct and cost 38sp. An arched canvas cover is an additional 12sp.

A mule can happily bear 18st, and at most 36st, and costs around 16sp. An old cart horse (nag) will cost 40sp and can bear 22st or up 44st. Stronger animals cost more again.

8 stone capacity saddle bags cost 2sp. Tack and harness for hitched an animal to a cart or wagon cost 9 sp per animal.

Draft animals require feed in addition to any foraging, which costs the same as trail rations, but has thrice as much bulk.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16479

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:51 am

(010) Preparations

tombowings wrote:
After procuring a weeks worth of ration, Flewellen would be willing to put up the remainder of his gold to help purchase a mule and cart.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
PreviousNext

Return to Hinterlands

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software