(010) Preparations

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:12 am

(010) Preparations

waysoftheearth wrote:
Padrig returns to the sanctuary of the Temple of Thuul, where he stretches the generosity of brother Tor and the Templars of Thuul, who are clearly beginning to feel somewhat awkward about the strange Elvish Knight studying and meditating deep the heart of their temple, but are too polite to say so.

For his part, Padrig feels equally unbalanced. These Men have strange ways indeed, quite removed from the manner in which a Knight of the Wold conducts himself.

However. He takes full advantage of their hospitality, as is he right, and dutifully scribes his prayers from scroll to book. Padrig's confidence of the previous eve seems to pay off, for The Shill Feroe is penned into his book in (1d6=4) what remains of the morning (4 hours).

After a short pause for a simple meal of bread and fruit, and a refreshing wander around the temple grounds, Padrig continues. But The Soliloquy of Repentance proves a more difficult task (1d6=2). And once again (1d6=5) it is well into evening before the work is complete.

After a very long day (11 hours) of studious work, Padrig is tired but satisfied with his efforts. He has used (22d6=77cp) 12sp and 5cp worth of consumable goods in the process, leaving him with but 2 gold crowns and 2 copper pennies to his name.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:39 am

(010) Preparations

waysoftheearth wrote:
Ulric does his shopping about town while Flewellen gets some much needed rest in a private room at the Plow and Furrow (costing 1sp), with one of the barmaids rousing him at noon by arrangement, whereupon he meets Ulric at the Concourse.

Both Men sign in with the grouchy old concierge, pay their 1 silver shilling, and descend into the dark archives with intent to study most studiously.

The blind old librarian is nowhere to be seen, so Flewellen leads Ulric to one of the deepest recesses where the most ancient texts are shelved. The two of the ignite a brace of Ulric's candles from Flewellen's lantern and begin their work in earnest.

Impromptu writing desks are assembled from stacks of otherwise uninteresting books, and a slew of notes begin to be amassed as each researcher spurs the other onward with each new find...

(2d6; 1,2) the remainder of the first day yields no greater reward than Ulric having scanned much of the material which Flewellen had appraised earlier, and each divining which text are better explored by whom. Ulric pores over the hints of arcane enchantments, while Flewellen focusses on whatever alchemical inscriptions can be found.

The two push on into the night until they can maintain wakefulness no longer. A lantern is lit and turned low while they dine most humbly, and sleep under bedrolls in the cold archives.

As soon as they awake, the study continues. (2d6; 2, 4) And so it does for four whole days and night until the pair have amassed such notes, passages and secrets that they are convinced of their triumph!

The mystery of The Exigent Secernment has been unwound, and is revealed to each Man in his own manner.

Five long days have passed, and both Men are sorely in need of some sunlight and a bath. (10d6=29) 29gp (8gp and 39sp each) of expenses and materials have been consumed.

The Exigent Secernment : Enables the magic-user to perceive the presence of magic with a precision similar to the mundane ability to detect a scent or perfume. It does not reveal the nature of the magic, nor its exact source, merely that magic is present. The spell lasts as long as the magic-user concentrates upon the location, object or creature to be scrutinised, after which he must have water or suffer 1dd.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:31 pm

(010) Preparations

verhaden wrote:
Mads the Fair

Mads sets about buying himself a new short bow and some arrows (20), to replace the ones left behind at the ruins.

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:50 pm

(010) Preparations

waysoftheearth wrote:
verhaden wrote:Mads the Fair

Mads sets about buying himself a new short bow and some arrows (20), to replace the ones left behind at the ruins.
(According to my notes, Mads left behind only 10 arrows and 60ft of hemp rope, so he still has his shortbow, quiver, and 8 arrows.)

Mads replenishes his quiver another score of arrows for 8 silver shillings.

(Mads could protect himself further with a wooden shield (9sp), helm (30sp), and possibly even chainmail armour (98sp). If so desired he could pawn his hide armour for 16sp (14 charisma). All this would make him AC 3 and leave him with 35sp and 4cp.)

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:13 pm

(010) Preparations

waysoftheearth wrote:
Meanwhile Gustave and Caine (charisma 16 and 12) head to The Jolly Noose to carouse for mercenaries and other bodies who might be willing and able to accompany the party on its next expedition.

The arrive ere noon, and find the place moderately busy with merchant folk and their aides. All of these are Men, for the Snorks of similar ilk frequent The Execution's Axe, a competing tavern directly opposite The Noose across the main town square.

The business of bargaining is well underway in every booth and corner of the place. Caravan owners are stocking their trains and making preparations for the long road trip back to the interior of the Kingdom. Many are busy negotiating protection, for the road is hazardous of late -- and it isn't just the usual wolves and brigands. There are bands of armed Goblins about, not least of which are those supposedly in the direct employ of Lord Gotfried and the Traders' Council, policing the tax stops along all the roads from Ket most zealously.

None of the merchants seem particularly happy about this, but taxes are taxes and they're to be paid, fair or no. But highway robbery is another thing altogether.

The few mercenaries that look to be prowling for contracts seem relaxed and well stocked for drinks. They have the look of Men who know they can pick and choose their next hire, for there are fewer spears for rent than there are wagon teams wanting protection...

"What'll it be, lads?" asks Dans, the bald headed barkeep, looking up from the extensive round of tankards he has just finished pouring.

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:47 pm

(010) Preparations

verhaden wrote:
Mads the Fair

Hrm. My bad. I'll correct that on my sheet. Upon further consideration, I think I will try to pawn my hide armor discretely. Chain mail and a helmet it is--I think I'll forgo the shield. That leaves me with 42 sp and 8 cp and makes it even harder to peg me for Simon.

Once Mads finishes with the process of replacing his armor, he'll go and restock his trail rations and make and make a clean 8 sp donation to the Knights of the Guardian Path, in honor of Sir Baerrik.

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:12 pm

(010) Preparations

eris wrote:
waysoftheearth wrote:As I understand it...

Padrig, Ulric and Flewellen (after he has snatched some sleep) are intent upon a few days of research and pen craft.

Mads and Gustave (being the most charismatic types) are charged with returning to the Jolly Noose for the purpose of hiring of an adequate company of mercenaries and dogsbodies and such supplies as will keep them content for the next expedition.

The remainder of the company have a leisure to shop and re-equip themselves, and sample a few of Ket's beverages along the way...
Olaf will sell his leather armor and buy chainmail and a helmet. He will restock his arrows, back to 20, buy two weeks of trail rations and nothing else until it becomes more clear what the party has and wants to do next.

While waiting around the town, Olaf will keep his ears open at the taverns for any gossip and/or information. He'll especially keep his ears open for and ask leading questions about Trader Grumolg and Lord Ingo Gottfried.

Olaf will revisit the Temple of Thuul and pay his respects to Tor...and see if the Priest will answer his questions (posted earlier) without being too pushy about it.

Olaf will encourage someone with more charisma than himself (Mads preferably) to join him in seeking out Lumbard Kort, the merchant that sold the party the map. Kort might, or might not, be an ally, but he is likely to be a source of good information.

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:45 pm

(010) Preparations

waysoftheearth wrote:
verhaden wrote:Mads the Fair

Hrm. My bad. I'll correct that on my sheet. Upon further consideration, I think I will try to pawn my hide armor discretely. Chain mail and a helmet it is--I think I'll forgo the shield. That leaves me with 42 sp and 8 cp and makes it even harder to peg me for Simon.

Once Mads finishes with the process of replacing his armor, he'll go and restock his trail rations and make and make a clean 8 sp donation to the Knights of the Guardian Path, in honor of Sir Baerrik.
Mads accepts a slightly lesser price for his hide armour in order to avoid being seen about town searching for the best price (14sp rather than 16sp).

Without a shield Mads' new AC is 4. He will be able to use his axe double handed, or else carry a torch (or something else) in his left mitt.

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:34 pm

(010) Preparations

tombowings wrote:
After many days of rest, recuperation, and vigorous study, Flewellen is ready to get back to the road. He proposes that we head back to the keep and check on out hobgoblin buddies to see just how loyal they've been and to gather up some of the likely stolen treasure that we left their.

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:54 pm

(010) Preparations

waysoftheearth wrote:
While the more scholarly types are lost in their study, Olaf manages to pawn his leather armour for 5sp (charisma 8), and then restocks his quiver and gets himself fitted out with some chainmail and a helm. The thick-armed, stout smith along Flea street raises a sooty eye-brow, "That's tha thrid coat o'chain I've sold in two days! Tha last ov 'em too. Anyone'd think we was at war!"

So equipped, and with the power of the scepter in his pack, Olaf's new AC is 3 -- he feels quite imprevious!

So protected, Olaf saunters the streets listening to the chat and gossip for a day or so (1d6).

It is a pity his ears are not so sharp as his eyes, for Olaf takes a couple of days to piece together the following information; Lord Ingo Gottfried is off with his Knights in distant parts doing knightly deeds, and has been for more than a year. Nobody knows when he is expected to return.

In his absence the Traders' Council has assumed greater control for the continued protection of everyone, and, by the influence of Trader Grumolg -- a particularly wealthy Snork Trader -- has elected to hire a Snork militia to maintian order. The Snork mercenaries may well be cheap, but some feel they have taken too keenly to their role as enforcers of the Council's will, and many of the Traders are now maintaining private militias in addition to the protection provided by Ket -- or (some will say), because of it.

So... Ingo Gottfried is the (absentee) rightful Lord of these parts. The Traders' Council is maintaining order on his behalf. The Snork militia is in the employ of the Traders' Council.

Return to “Hinterlands”