(008) The Blockade


Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

User avatar

Posts: 16470

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:38 pm

(008) The Blockade

waysoftheearth wrote:
Meanwhile, Flewellen is dragged into the encampment by the Captain, who immediately yells orders to his underlings who jump right to it.

It is a busy site -- there are at least a score of Hobgoblins getting about their business, pushed on by a noisy, bare chested bosun who roars curses and flays about liberally with a whip.

"Tie this piece of flith here!" orders the Captain, and thrusts Flewellen roughly into the hands of a pair of stout Hobgoblins soldiers. They very efficiently and rather cruelly carry out their orders and tie the wizard to a stout pole which has been driven into the mud, and then position themselves nearby to guard him.

From what Flewellen can see, it is a construction site. There is a team of some half dozen loggers who are stripping felled timber for use. Another team of carpenters work at nailing timbers together into some sort of wall across the road. Further work is being done to digging deep furrows across the road, and also on digging foundations for some future structure -- probably a guard house.

What industrious little creatures these Hobgoblins are... and all in daylight (albeit overcast).
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16470

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:15 am

(008) The Blockade

tombowings wrote:
Flewellen, frightened enough to take to praying if only he was a religious man, allows his hands to be bound.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16470

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:11 am

(008) The Blockade

waysoftheearth wrote:
Indeed, for he has little choice in the matter...

And then poor Flewellen has to listen to the surly chatter of his two guards. They speculate crudely on what may have befallen their fellows at the ruin, and on whether or not Bolgog will allow them to torture and then eat this prisoner, or simply eat him right away.

By their logic, the Caption would not have asked them to stand guard here if he didn't intend to reward them with their pick of the feasting. Flewellen learns a few unsettling truths about Hobgoblin tastes...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16470

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:16 pm

(008) The Blockade

tombowings wrote:
Flewellen, beginning to feel more and more uncomfortable, tries to ask as if he were asleep, hoping the hobgoblins with loosen their tongues without his conscious presence to hold them accountable.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16470

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:53 am

(008) The Blockade

waysoftheearth wrote:
The Hobgoblins, being cruel things by nature, idly discuss the forms of torment they look forward to visiting on Flewellen.

"I'd luv ta pull 'is fingernails," says one, with a rough chuckle.

"Oww luvely, yesss," agrees the other dreamily, "An' then we cud take a few ov 'is teeth -- that always getsss a ssscream, ha ha," they both laugh their gritty laughs.

"'Ere look!" says the first, "'Eess fallin' asleep!"

"Can't 'av that now, can wee?" growls the second, and jabs Flewellen painfully in the ribs with his spear-point so that he squirms in his bonds.

Both enjoy their little game heartily, and their captive's sorry lot continues on this way for what seems like hours...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16470

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:15 am

(008) The Blockade

waysoftheearth wrote:
The Flanking Party

The flanking party reach the road and turn east, toward the works. Keeping as much to the heath along the roadside as they can, they are soon in position and spy their fellows approaching the encampment -- Ulric and company are nearing the base of the bluff, and are but a few score yards from the works. The majority of the Hobgoblin workers have paused at their tasks to observe the proceedings...

Dieter and crew are a like distance west of the works -- probably at maximum bow shot distance, but cannot approach any closer without straying from their cover.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16470

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:28 am

(008) The Blockade

waysoftheearth wrote:
The Parley Party

Ulric, Mads and Taines approach the base of the bluff with their captives before them. The Hobgoblins works are rife with activity -- there must be two dozen of the creatures at least, though perhaps only a quarter of them appear to be soldiery.

This estimate is confirmed as the party draws near, for the Hobgoblin Captain barks a summons at his troops, and his boson and the remaining half dozen soldiers form up in a stanch line -- standing between the parley party and the works, spears and shields bristling dangerously. Meanwhile, the remainder of the work force seems to abandon their work and cluster behind the soldiers. A trickle of them are already scampering off in a generally south-easterly direction, apparently fleeing into the wilderness rather than risking their lives here.

The armed Hobgoblins are 30 yards away, the Captain standing behind them.

What do you do next?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16470

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:33 am

(008) The Blockade

waysoftheearth wrote:
Flewellen

A short time later, Flewellen's luck turns for the better. There is some unknowable commotion in the camp -- perhaps the Men of the keep have sallied forth? Whatever the distraction is, the Hobgoblin Captain is bellowing orders, and practically all work seems to have stopped.

"This 'ere looks bad," grumbles one of the wizard's guards, and the other agrees. Then without further warning, both of them run off to do their Captain's bidding.

Flewellen is left alone, tied firmly to a wooden stake...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16470

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:59 am

(008) The Blockade

verhaden wrote:
Mads the Fair

Mads stands aside from his prisoner, bows slightly, and addresses the Captain "I am called Simon the Humble, and these are my companions--ones alive and yet fit to move about. We acted to hastily back in yonder ruins, an error on my part--startled in the wilderness and unexpectedly beset by strangers.

By your command and prowess, I can tell you are an important and respected leader. We do not wish to further endanger our lives or impede your responsibilities. We have come to parley with you and cease hostilities."
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16470

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:51 pm

(008) The Blockade

danhem wrote:
Ulric keeps a dagger firmly pressed against the back of his captive. He listens to Mads offer of parlay while searching his mind once again for words to the Baleful Somnolence. As the hobgoblins bunch together to form a shield wall he smiles but he holds his incantation until the captain responds to Mads. At the first sign of a hostile action, however, he will cast the Baleful Somnolence at the center of the hobgoblin ranks.

OOC: How far are we from the works?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
Next

Return to Hinterlands

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 14 guests

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software