(010) Preparations

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by waysoftheearth » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:59 pm

(010) Preparations

waysoftheearth wrote:
Having spent all of the afternoon and a good part of the evening figuring out how to divide the loot, it is at last decided.

Everyone present (all bar Flewellen and Padrig) spends 3 silver shillings for a wash and a hearty dinner in Albert's common room, and a night's stay in his modest accommodations. (Shares of the loot have not been allocated, so this is paid from your existing coin purses. Taines pays for Caine -- after loosing a same wager the previous night).

Albert is chuffed as can be to have his establishment frequented by so many unexpected guests, and says so repeatedly.

Breakfast in the morning is as good as it was yesterday, this time with the addition of heaped rashers of fried bacon and piles of succulent little pork sausages.

With all this business done, and every last pork sausage eaten, the company prepares to depart and equip themselves for their next expedition.

"Take good care Sirs," bobs Albert, "Oi do hope to see you gent'elmen again soon!"
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:12 pm

(010) Preparations

waysoftheearth wrote:
Flewellen awakes in the pitch dark, cold and dusty library archive with his face flat upon a pile of open books.

He struggles in the dark for a short while to get his lantern going, but its fuel is complete spent. Finally he is able to get the stump of a near-spent candle aflame to cast a sputtering light.

He has had scant and uncomfortable sleep, but at least he has skimmed all of the scores and scores of texts in this section of the archive. He has not happened across the spell he sought -- or any spell for that matter -- but he has identified three tomes that would bare further examination; the alchemist's journal, a libram detailed the ills and woes of witchcraft, and a collection of letters exchanged between two court magicians containing (among a lot of other trivia) some detailed exchanges of information regarding their own arcane researches.

All three will require a long time to fully read and comprehend, but right now Flewellen is dog-tired and hurries to leave the library before his candle stump expires.

The Concourse staff are rather surprised to see Flewellen emerge from the archives just as they are opening the doors for the morning, but he hurries out just in time to join the rest of the company as they stride up the Main way toward the Temple of Thuul.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by waysoftheearth » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:20 pm

(010) Preparations

waysoftheearth wrote:
The company departs The Plow and Furrow, and heads to the Temple of Thuul by the Main way.

They march through the town square, which seems strangely empty this day without the bustle of the market, and up toward the Traders' Concourse. As they pass that mighty premises, Flewellen emerges to join them, and they continue along Chantry road toward the Temple of Thuul.

When they arrive they find Padrig and Tor, an old but still capable-looking priest of Thuul, strolling the gardens that surround the Temple.

"Hello there," says Tor as he sees the strange looking party approach, "You must be Padrig's company,"

Post by waysoftheearth » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:28 pm

(010) Preparations

waysoftheearth wrote:
Gustave (charisma 16) steps forward and charmingly explains the company's need to identify the ring and scepter.

Tor is somewhat reluctant to get involved initially, but between Gustave's ingratiating style of diplomacy and Tor's own sense of gratitude to the company for returning Rodrick's Book of Solemn Contemplation, he finally agrees to examine the items for you.

He advices you to give him the items and await him in the grounds...

Which you do, and then wait... anxiously... for what seems a very long time...

... but finally, ere noon, Tor at last emerges. By the grim smile of satisfaction he wears, you guess he must have had some success. And you are not deceived.

"By Thuul's Grace and my own humble research I have divined the use of these artifacts," says Tor, and goes on to explain...

The brass scepter is The Scepter of Exonerate Resplendence(/b). It is indeed an artifact of the Hermetic Era, as Jurgen suspected. By command it can be caused to emit light as clear as full day light, even in the darkest of darks, and this light will be intolerable to the walking dead.

The white gold ring is The Ring of Gambado. It is a comparatively modern device, having been constructed not 100 years since on consignment for the infamous burglar, Gambado. Upon utterance of the command word it enables the wearer make impossibly mighty leaps.

Either prize will net 1000 XP for the new owner.

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:11 pm

(010) Preparations

eris wrote:
waysoftheearth wrote:Gustave (charisma 16) steps forward and charmingly explains the company's need to identify the ring and scepter.

Tor is somewhat reluctant to get involved initially, but between Gustave's ingratiating style of diplomacy and Tor's own sense of gratitude to the company for returning Rodrick's Book of Solemn Contemplation, he finally agrees to examine the items for you.

He advices you to give him the items and await him in the grounds...

Which you do, and then wait... anxiously... for what seems a very long time...

... but finally, ere noon, Tor at last emerges. By the grim smile of satisfaction he wears, you guess he must have had some success. And you are not deceived.

"By Thuul's Grace and my own humble research I have divined the use of these artifacts," says Tor, and goes on to explain...

The brass scepter is The Scepter of Exonerate Resplendence
(/b). It is indeed an artifact of the Hermetic Era, as Jurgen suspected. By command it can be caused to emit light as clear as full day light, even in the darkest of darks, and this light will be intolerable to the walking dead.

The white gold ring is The Ring of Gambado. It is a comparatively modern device, having been constructed not 100 years since on consignment for the infamous burglar, Gambado. Upon utterance of the command word it enables the wearer make impossibly mighty leaps.

Either prize will net 1000 XP for the new owner.

(/quote)
"I am amazed!" Olaf exclaims, "Such a light might have saved lives against the undead we recently faced! Do you know the words of command for these items, honored Tor, Priest of Thuul?"

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:22 am

(010) Preparations

waysoftheearth wrote:
eris wrote:"I am amazed!" Olaf exclaims, "Such a light might have saved lives against the undead we recently faced! Do you know the words of command for these items, honored Tor, Priest of Thuul?"
Tor nods solemnly, and explains further...

The Scepter of Exonerate Resplendence(/b) may be lit by being raised to vertical as the phrase "Aurora" (actually a rough sounding Hermetic word which sounds like "Aurora" in the modern, common speech) is uttered by the bearer. The light will be extinguished if the scepter is laid low, or if the phrase "Subfusc" is uttered by the bearer.

The Ring of Gambado can be operated by the wearer by uttering the phrase "Echapper" as he springs from the ground.

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:52 am

(010) Preparations

danhem wrote:
Ulric's eyes light up as the priest explains the operation of the magical devices.

"Marvelous," he says. "This scepter will indeed prove useful in our exploration. We thank you for your assistance."

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:55 am

(010) Preparations

danhem wrote:
"Flewellen, what did you learn at the library? Did you find any clues to the The Exigent Secernment? I was thinking we should pool our resources and knowledge to see what we can learn of this and other unknown elements of the Art."

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:04 am

(010) Preparations

tonneau wrote:
"Dear fellows", harps Gustave, apparently slightly perturbed by the lack of attention being payed him, "While our recent antics have been truly stimulating, I do wonder what venture you aspire to next. I alone here appear to be in the dark as to your larger plans, but would be most gratified to have a role therein", he concludes, a raising a brow.
"That is, of course, if you think I could be of benefit to a stalwart group such as yours - If not, I will take my leave, as I believe I have some unfinished business with a lady purveyor of gemstones hereabouts."

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:37 am

(010) Preparations

waysoftheearth wrote:
"Well if none of you lot mind, I'll take my share of the loot and go see about some better gear," grunts Victor.

When noone objects, he adds to Gustave, "I suggest you do the same -- yer fancy smile won't protect yer noggin from a Hobgoblin axe,", and spits, and then carefully counts out the 56 silver shillings and 4 gold crowns alloted to him.

This done, he slings the half-sack of coin over his shoulder and trudges back into town, heading down Bow street...

Return to “Hinterlands”