(009) Return to Ket


Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

User avatar

Posts: 16470

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:21 pm

(009) Return to Ket

tombowings wrote:
Looking down the long daunting passages between the shelves, Flewellen slowly becomes away that he standing at the beginning of a giant, underground labyrinth. He could really use some help. "I'm looking for a spell, The Exigent Secernment," says Flewellen to the aged librarian without a hint of secrecy. "Do you know where I could find it or at least where to get started in my search."
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16470

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:53 pm

(009) Return to Ket

verhaden wrote:
Mads the Fair

Mads will try some of that apple and cinnamon mead, and inquire about news 'round town.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16470

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:53 pm

(009) Return to Ket

waysoftheearth wrote:
danhem wrote:OOC: Assuming that Ulric is rather intelligent, would he be able to determine if these were reasonable values?


Ulric is very intelligent indeed. These values do seem somewhat higher than what he might expect to pay for such articles; a silver cup and a copper belt.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16470

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:59 pm

(009) Return to Ket

waysoftheearth wrote:
danhem wrote:"That seems to be a fair value for the cup," Ulric says with a smile. "But you described the belt as an 'artifact of the Yesterage.' What did you mean by that? I would think such an artifact would be worth far more than 20 shillings."


Jurgen seems slightly puzzled at Ulric's question.

"The cup and the belt both are old," he wheezes. "Made by artisans of the Yesterage, in the time 'afore The Kingdoms of here and now. Hundreds of years old they are, and might be worth a bit of extra coin to a collector of such things."
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16470

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:42 pm

(009) Return to Ket

waysoftheearth wrote:
Flewellen; The Traders' Concourse

"A spell you say, young Sir?" quibbles the bent old librarian, shuffling slowly into proper view. Flewellen realises the ancient fellow must have been down here for a very long while, for what remains of his sparse hair is snow white and near down to his knees, and his eyes search in the semi-dark unseeingly. He might even be blind.

"Most of what's here, young Sir, is records of trade and taxes and the records of legal proceedings and so on. That covers almost all of that which has been interned during my fifty and some years of service here," quails the librarian thoughtfully, requiring several breaths to get it all past his lips.

"So what young Sir must do, if he is indeed intent on blighting his eyes with words of sorcery -- which I cannot soundly advise -- is delve beyond all that which has arrived so recently, and search instead the most ancient shelves here,". He sways slightly on his bowed legs, and shakes his head worryingly, but seems helpful enough all the same.

"Now follow me, young Sir, if you must disturb those shelves best left untouched,"

When Flewellen signals the affirmative, the ancient librarian leads the way into the pitch dark library. Flewellen snatches the lone feeble lantern in order to follow safely.

The breadth of the library is quite astounding, as is the librarian's intimate knowledge of where everything is. He hobbles along, bent double, with a hand following the books and shelves as he goes.

After passing many shelves, and turns, and descending several half-flights of stairs, they at last arrive in an ancient, dusty, octagonal nook where the tomes and scrolls are piled haphazardly atop one another and all is covered thickly in dust and cobwebs. There is a tiny round table in the centre of the space supporting a candle holder whose sides are glutted with ages of dusty, spent wax.

"I come here rarely if at all -- this place gives me the creeps!" confides the librarian with a shiver. "But I believe these are the texts you seek. I shall leave you to your ill advised search, young Sir," he wheezes, and then hobbles off into the darkness...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16470

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:04 pm

(009) Return to Ket

waysoftheearth wrote:
Mads, Dieter, Taines & Anwyn; The Plow and Furrow Common Room

"Make it a full round of yer ale!" declares Taines enthusiastically, slapping down a silver shilling and three copper pennies. "This round's on me lads," he declares.

"Rioght you are sirs," says Albert and serves up a beautifully warm cup of spiced mead for Mads, and then pours four large tankards of his Widehearth ale and plonks them on the bar before Taines and Dieter, who knock their tankards together and drink to everyone's good health.

A couple of farm hands wander into the common room and order some cider. Albert excuses himself and waddles over to serve them and to chat a moment with them.

Mads overhears the farmers and Albert gossiping about some rumoured attack on a tax stop along the south road. The farm hands laugh about that, but are more concerned that there's an army marching toward Ket -- the southern raiders must be invading again, they say. They might have to bring their cattle in tight this week, lest they get eaten by this army. And besides, there's some brigand about they're calling Simon the Humble. He seems to have ruffled a few Trader heads, for they're offering 10 silver shillings for his capture, dead or alive! No doubt he'd be a cattle thief, besides.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16470

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:26 am

(009) Return to Ket

tonneau wrote:
"My dear, you are a tribute to your profession!", proclaims Gustave, casting an eye over the various treasures and otherwise.
"My dumb colleague and his ailing mother are deeply grateful for your honesty in this matter. Indeed, I can see we shall find no better offer in this town and accept your opinion graciously", he concludes.
He leans over the cluttered counter to add, under his breath, "May I add on a more personal note, it has been my reward in this matter to have dealt with such a lovely, and clearly knowledgeable woman - I sincerely hope we have need of your services again in the future, and you will then do me the grace of appraising my goods further."
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16470

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:26 am

(009) Return to Ket

tombowings wrote:
"Worry not, my friend," Flewellen says to the ancient librarian, still purposing to give honesty and openness a worth go. "If there was danger in the words I seek, I would have lied about my purpose. But fear not. Just is my quest and no harm will come to you or I. Stay or go as you wish. But no harm will come."

b)Flewellen(/b) then goes to work, scouring the shelves for any indication of The Exigent Secernment. He hopes he will find it in time for the library's close.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16470

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:35 am

(009) Return to Ket

eris wrote:
waysoftheearth wrote:
danhem wrote:"That seems to be a fair value for the cup," Ulric says with a smile. "But you described the belt as an 'artifact of the Yesterage.' What did you mean by that? I would think such an artifact would be worth far more than 20 shillings."


Jurgen seems slightly puzzled at Ulric's question.

"The cup and the belt both are old," he wheezes. "Made by artisans of the Yesterage, in the time 'afore The Kingdoms of here and now. Hundreds of years old they are, and might be worth a bit of extra coin to a collector of such things."

Olaf says as he scratches his chin, "Well, that's fine and all, but I think we should go now and think about things. Right Ulric?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16470

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:54 am

(009) Return to Ket

waysoftheearth wrote:
eris wrote:Olaf says as he scratches his chin, "Well, that's fine and all, but I think we should go now and think about things. Right Ulric?


What of the other goods Ulric and Olaf are carrying? They also have a small black iron key on a leather thong, a plain gold ring, a short brass scepter, and an oynx idol in their keeping.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
PreviousNext

Return to Hinterlands

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 7 guests

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software