(009) Return to Ket

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:38 pm

(009) Return to Ket

waysoftheearth wrote:
Inside

Despite Gustave's friendly advances the two travellers are both weary and wary, and retire immediately to their room where they take their supper in private.

Gustave accepts their declination graciously and winds up sharing his cheap wine with a couple of thirsty farmers before he too retires to his own room. He will catch up with those travellers again in the morning, he decides.

The night passes uneventfully and blessedly comfortably for Flewellen, Mads and Gustave in their respective rooms.

Each wakes at dawn to the glorious smell of fresh baked bread and soup being prepared downstairs...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:37 am

(009) Return to Ket

heartless wrote:
waysoftheearth wrote:Outside

(Dieter, Olaf contributed 2 silver shillings each, as did Victor and Padrig (both being of lawful alignment)).
Padrig says, "Great move Dieter with the farmer. No blood and death is good, for no mess to clean up!". Then addressing eveyone Padrig asks,"I am happy to help us all out, but alas I just gave away all my last remaining silver coins. I would appreciate some assistance to tie me over in Ket today! I am good for it."

Next Padrig adds,"If any of you Magic Users require time to mediate before we set off today, now is the best time to do it before it gets light?"
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:45 am

(009) Return to Ket

waysoftheearth wrote:
Ulric is the only wizard present at the barn, but he is not likely to get much peace for study between the rowdy farmer, his lowing cows, and the stream of cussing farm-hands who have already begun to arrive.

Flewellen, meanwhile, is safely ensconced beyond the walls of Ket (not Kent, which is a shabby little thorp several hundred miles away).

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:12 pm

(009) Return to Ket

eris wrote:
Once outside, blinking in the early morning sun, Olaf says to the group, "The others got inside without trouble, it appears, last night. I suppose we should try entering through the gates today."

"However, I think we should be cautious about where we are coming from and what we have been doing." he adds, "Does anyone have a good idea for a cover story we can give the guards?"

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:22 pm

(009) Return to Ket

tombowings wrote:
Flewellen, feeling refreshed form a nights warm sleep, walks down into the common area. Seeing Gustave, Flewellen says, "I'm sorry about last night. It has been a long day of travel and ware. But are tales are not safe to tell here; they must wake for a quieter decor."

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:36 pm

(009) Return to Ket

waysoftheearth wrote:
Outside

Even with the first light of grey dawn the day's activity is already underway. Farmers are loosing animals for grazing, and hands are gathering at farm houses for a warming cup of hot broth before commencing work.

Three score yards off at the gates of Ket you spy the night guard (Snorks) preparing to retire in favour of the day guard (Men), as the heavy town gates are laboriously pulled open for the business of the day.

At the farm house, your host is hitching two of the cows you shared the barn with to a two-wheeled cart, while a few of the younger hands load it with sacks of vegetables from the house.

"Git them taters on too," the farmer's wife tells them from the open doorway of their cottage...

Standing a little way off from all the activity Caine quietly reminds you all of the Wolf rider messengers he observed during the night...

(Two empty handed travellers arriving at the gates at dusk is one thing. A party of eight well armed Men, Elves and Dwarfs laden with huge sacks of coin may be another thing entirely. And if the wolf riders had bad news to tell...)

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:37 am

(009) Return to Ket

tonneau wrote:
Gustave looks up at Flewellin from his tea and steaming scone, ending his chat with a less-than-comely barmaid with a wave of his hand, "and good morning to you Sir", he says in way of greeting, "no problem at all, I understand only too well the heaviness of a weary head and the need for a good rest."
"...and you missed naut with the wine of the house!", he adds under his breath.
"Perhaps we can share a walk, if it is not raining...i will just attend to these feeble excuses for bakery goods."

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:24 am

(009) Return to Ket

tombowings wrote:
"We would be well to wait for my companion, it is only because of his clever planning that we were able to enter the safety of Ket," says Flewellen. "I will go and wake him now. Wait patently my friend, only a short time it take me, for my comrade is a very light sleeper."

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:01 pm

(009) Return to Ket

makofan wrote:
Caine says "Perhaps we should stream in by ones or twos, maybe half an hour apart. We can meet at the inn again for lunch. My cover story is that I am looking for a man that owes me money." He thinks about his boon.

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:01 pm

(009) Return to Ket

verhaden wrote:
tombowings wrote:"We would be well to wait for my companion, it is only because of his clever planning that we were able to enter the safety of Ket," says Flewellen. "I will go and wake him now. Wait patently my friend, only a short time it take me, for my comrade is a very light sleeper."
Mads the Fair

And not as soon as Flewellen utters those words, "Deardorff" comes walking down the steps. "New business?" he says, with mild interest.

Return to “Hinterlands”