Mads, Dieter, Taines & Anwyn; The Plow and Furrow Common Room

Albert's drinks cost as follows;
  • Apple Cider, 1 copper penny per tankard
  • Plowman's Draft, 2 copper penny per tankard
  • Widehearth Ale, 2 copper penny per tankard
  • Apple and Cinnamon Mead (served warm), 3 copper pennies per goblet
  • Port, 3 copper pennies per half goblet
  • Brandy, 4 copper pennies per quarter goblet
"A taste of your mead for me," sqeaks Anwyn with a giggle.

"Rioght," says Albert and ladles a fill into a simple wooden goblet for her.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:59 am

(009) Return to Ket

eris wrote:
waysoftheearth wrote:Ulric & Olaf; The Erstwhile Emporium
danhem wrote:"Good day to you, sir," Ulric says with a smile. "I am Ulric. My friend and I are looking for someone with knowledge of strange and unusual artifacts. We saw your shop from the street and thought you might be just the person we need."
"Well now master Ulric," wheezes Jurgen as his eyes narrow suspiciously, "Let's see these 'artifacts' shall we, and we'll soon know what we're about." With a sweep of his thick arm he clears a smallish space amid the clutter on the bench before him making room for Ulric and Olaf to present their goods.

Olaf notices also that Jurgen seems to be keeping a careful eye on the street outside.
Olaf positions himself so he can keep an eye on Jurgen *and* on the street outside.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:01 am

(009) Return to Ket

eris wrote:
waysoftheearth wrote:Ulric & Olaf; The Erstwhile Emporium
danhem wrote:Not wishing to show his full hand too soon, Ulric sets down his pack and retrieves the silver goblet and the heavy belt and sets them on the bench.
"Well now, master Ulric," wheezes Jurgen, suddenly and completely focussed on the two objects set before him, "What have we here, indeed?"
(/color)

He tampers for a moment with a strange looking lantern upon his bench until a bright white shaft of light issues from it and reflects off four mirrored shutters that surround it, so that the items on the bench are marvelously lit. Then, he pulls from a pocket on his apron front an eye piece rather like a very short telescope, which he grips in his left socket and examines first the silver goblet, and then the brass and copper belt very closely.

"It's not every day,"(/color) he wheezes as he places the goblet upon a delicate set of weighing scales, "That a pair of yokels who haven't washed in weeks waltz into my store and drop a two pound cup of silver on my desk,"(/color) he remarks cautiously without looking up from his work.

"Nor indeed that any artifact of the Yesterage makes an appearance,"(/color) he adds, a stronger note of suspicion detectable in his wheezy voice.

Finally, he pauses in his work. "I don't suppose you two would mind telling me how you came about these here?"(/color) he wheezes, a mixture of interest and caution written on his face. "And what you intend to do with them, at that!"(/color)(/quote)
Jurgen is addressing Ulric, so Olaf lets the mage do the talking.

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:54 pm

(009) Return to Ket

danhem wrote:
waysoftheearth wrote:Finally, he pauses in his work. "I don't suppose you two would mind telling me how you came about these here?"
(/color) he wheezes, a mixture of interest and caution written on his face. "And what you intend to do with them, at that!"(/color)(/quote)

Ulric studies the man closely trying to determine how much he should divulge.

"We are travelers. We came across these items on one of our journeys. As you may be aware there are many ancient structures scattered about the wilderness. We found these items in the cellar of one such ruin."

As he speaks, Ulric begins to search his memory of the incantation of slumber just in case Jurgen proved to be a threat. At best, he hoped, they would find a trustworthy fence for the treasures they have and would recover.

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:28 pm

(009) Return to Ket

tombowings wrote:
Despite the presence of the snorks, Flewellen makes his way to the library in The Traders' Concourse. Careful to keep his head tipped downwards, Flewellen walks cautiously and deliberately right into the entrance of the library.

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:16 pm

(009) Return to Ket

eris wrote:
danhem wrote:
waysoftheearth wrote:Finally, he pauses in his work. "I don't suppose you two would mind telling me how you came about these here?"
(/color) he wheezes, a mixture of interest and caution written on his face. "And what you intend to do with them, at that!"(/color)(/quote)

Ulric studies the man closely trying to determine how much he should divulge.

"We are travelers. We came across these items on one of our journeys. As you may be aware there are many ancient structures scattered about the wilderness. We found these items in the cellar of one such ruin."(/quote)
"Yeah, travelers, dirty old cellar." Olaf says vaguely, "Get out of the rain. You know?"
As he speaks, Ulric begins to search his memory of the incantation of slumber just in case Jurgen proved to be a threat. At best, he hoped, they would find a trustworthy fence for the treasures they have and would recover.
"So, what we got?" asks Olaf with a stupid smile, "Worth something?"

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:04 pm

(009) Return to Ket

waysoftheearth wrote:
Flewellen; The Traders' Concourse

Several of the merchants' bodyguards keep a watchful eye on Flewellen as he passes by, but none more to intercept him. And nor do any of the gathered soldiery accost him with anything sterner than a few quips, "Take a bath mister," snickers one, and "Filthy togs went out of fashion last year," jokes another.

But Flewellen keeps his head down and strides through the enormous double doors into the vast lobby of The Traders' Concourse.

The floor within is a broad check of black and white polished marble. Elegantly carved columns reach upward across regularly spaced arches that embrace dozens of regal looking doors and support a mezzanine level and a lofty domed ceiling, above. Despite its imposing size, the hall is incredible quiet. Each of Flewellen's foot steps crunch audibly upon the grit on his muddy boots.

"Can I help you?" hacks a severe voice that sounds like it sincerely hopes not.

Flewellen looks about to locate the speaker, and sees at last a withered old concierge in stiff and formal collared shirt and waistcoat with a pair of tiny brass spectacles upon his hawk-nose glaring at him unhappily.

Flewellen asks the whereabouts of the library as politely as he is able, in reply to which the concierge looks him over with obvious distaste before explaining that "The library is down stairs -- take the fourth door to the left of the main audience hall." before rattling off an impressive list of rules and restrictions. "The library is open to the public only for the hour before and after noon. A member of the public must always be accompanied by a librarian whilst in the library. No food nor drink shall be taken into the library. No texts shall be removed from the library. No texts of the library shall be marked or defaced. No open flames shall be lit in the library..." and he rasps on and on until Flewellen's ears are full to overflowing.

When at last the concierge is done with his rules, the salient information is revealed.

"But before you go you must purchase a Study Permit," mutters the grumpy concierge, "Which will cost a silver shilling each day, or a gold crown for a week. Here, fill in this application," he opens an enormous and dusty tome on the desk and presents Flewellen with a quill and ink pot.

Flewellen sees that each page of the book is divided into a number of applications for study permits. Each asks after a name, an address, a patron, a date and the purpose of the study. Clearly hundreds of such applications have been made in the past, but Flewellen does not recognise any of the names he sees inked on the open page before him...

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:21 pm

(009) Return to Ket

waysoftheearth wrote:
Ulric & Olaf; The Erstwhile Emporium
eris wrote:"So, what we got?" asks Olaf with a stupid smile, "Worth something?"
Jurgen looks over Ulric and Olaf, narrowing his beady eyes as he weighs their stories in his mind (Ulric charisma 10, Olaf charisma 8).

"Well, I'm sure that's the half of it," he wheezes, and hacks a cough, as he picks up the goblet and examines it again. "Tell you what," he wheezes, "I'll give you 50 silver shillings for the goblet, and another 20 for the belt."

He puts the items down, and leans on the bench, looking over Ulric's and Olaf's shoulders to the street outside.

"Dang Snorks," he mutters to himself, "Always watching everyone and everything..."

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:00 am

(009) Return to Ket

tombowings wrote:
"Here goes nothing." Flewellen says to himself and fills out the form:

Name: Klindik

Address: Plow and Furrow, Room 5

Date: Flewellen takes a moment to consider and jots down todays date.

Purpose of Study: To seek out The Exigent Secernment

After handing his silver shilling to the attendant, Flewellen descends the stairs into the library.

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:29 am

(009) Return to Ket

tonneau wrote:
Gustave enters Brigitta's Lavaliere, goodies in hand.
"I think perhaps I should do the talking here", he suggests to Caine, "I have done a little trading about the place once or twice..."

Return to “Hinterlands”