(007) The Measure of the Old Keep

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:44 am

danhem wrote:
Ulric motions the others to the side.

"It seems Taines first instinct may be best. If the hobgoblins were already prepared to set up a permanent camp they can just starve us out if we stay here."

"Why don't we leave most of our mundane equipment and the copper coins behind for now; we can take the most valuable treasures with us if we have to run."

"We can march toward the enemy camp with our prisoners as shields. Once we're close enough I should be able to put a number of them to sleep once again. After that I can summon fire to burn their blockade. Between that and your arrows and blades we should be able to rout them and rescue the man they captured."

"What say you all?"

As Ulric waits for the others to respond he starts looking for stones suitable for his sling so that he has a ready supply when the time comes.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:02 am

Harry wrote:
"Aye lad" staring at the hog tied captives, "I will love to take these out fer a wee drag".

Taines shoulders his backpack and slings his axe, waiting for the rest of the party to ready themselves.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:48 am

coffee wrote:
"Just as long as I get another crack at that captain," Dieter growls. "I still owe him."

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:37 pm

verhaden wrote:
Mads the Fair

"We should gag them as well," he says, looking at the hobgoblins disdainfully. "A full force frontal assault isn't ideal, though. If one other were to join me, we could bring some of our captives along to parley with them head-on. While we distract them, the rest of you could approach them on their flank and catch them off guard with some spells and arrows."

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:12 pm

Harry wrote:
"Aye I'll join yer", Taines sneered at the deformed creatures tied at his feet "I'll happily drag these little lads like a sack of mine dust".

(OOC - long weekend here, away until Monday night - WAYSOFTHEEARTH -> Taines will join Mads in, allow him to do the talking and support/attack when combat starts)

Post by waysoftheearth » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:37 am

heartless wrote:
"I agree we should remove those road hogs before they can get reinforcements to really trouble us", says Krystin. "Before we go into battle let me heal our brave fighters Dieter, Taines and Victor to increase our odds of success. If possible we should rescue that traveller that tried to aid us."

Krystin will attempt to magically heal in order Taines (8 of 12 hp), Dieter(5 of 7 hp), Victor (8 of 11 hp) and Krystin (4 of 6 hp) with "The Supplication of Medicant Requite" before we leave to attack.

Post by waysoftheearth » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:07 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
Crystin has each of the injured fighting men kneel.

When they are still she closes her eyes and sings a quiet, graceful Elvish ballad that fills the air eerily while the blustery wind seems strangely to pause. While she sings, the Elf maiden administers a sup of the purest water that she has carried all the way from the springs of the Ivory Wold to the parched lips of the fighters...

(Crystin's spell memory rolls 1d20=20,19,15,9) Heledd's grace seems strong here in this place, and Taines, Dieter and Victor are all invigorated by His touch, though Crystin's song is faded and the wind returned before she aids herself -- her memory of the The Supplication of Medicant Requite is broken. Crystin has two sups of pure spring water remaining.

Taines (1d6=2) now has 10 of 12 hp
Dieter (1d6=2) now has 7 of 7 hp
Victor (1d6=3) now has 11 of 11 hp

Meanwhile, Mads works at gagging the muttering and cursing creatures with coarse, dirty strips of fabric which he tears from their slain comrades' bloody shirts.

Post by waysoftheearth » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:09 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
This done, you sort out your plan...

As I understand it, Mads and Taines intend to take one captive with them by the shortest route to the works in order to parley -- Dwarfs and Hobgoblins being scarcely tolerant of one another.

Some others (including Dieter, who is determined to confront the Captain again) intend to sneak around to the east or west of the works in order to mount a flank attack.

Victor and Anwyn will do as you direct.

Questions

Who else is the flanking party?
Will it head out east, or west?
Is anyone staying at the Keep to guard the other two captives, and the loot?

Post by waysoftheearth » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:10 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
The Lay of the Land

The ruin squats atop a relatively bare, windswept bluff, standing some three or four bowshots beyond the Hobgoblin works. To the west lies a great wood, and to the east and south-east the tunnel-riddled hinterlands rise to obscure the horizon. Ket itself is away in the north.

A rutted dirt road wheels in a wide arc around the south side of the bluff, eventually heading north-east and then back toward Ket, and south-west to join the great forest road.

The land surrounding the bluff is uneven with minor gullies and ridges, and covered with sparse, thigh deep grasses which ripple with the gusty breeze. Dotted across the land are patches of thick heath up to chest high on a Man. From the tower you can observe a great swath of the stuff around a crook in the road, west of the Hobgoblins' works.

..........\.road.............
............-----............~
..................\............
...................\........~...
....................\......~....
......-()............|......~...
ruin..|_|............|.#.. <-- encampment
.....................X.... <-- works
.....................|..........
.....................|..........
....................~|..........
...~.............~...|.~........
.E...~...........~../~.........
N+S.....~.....~.....|.~.~
.W....Woods........~.\.~.

. Open ground
~ Heath

Post by waysoftheearth » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:40 am

danhem wrote:
"I'll go with Mads and Taines," Ulric says as he pockets sling stones. "I'll need to be as close as possible for my magic to work. We should each walk with a captive in front of us to provide cover from arrows and spears."

OOC: I believe we are taking all of the captives with us to use as cover. As far as the loot, we should carry everything but the 3000+ copper coins. We can leave the copper coins in the tower buried beneath some debris.

Return to “Hinterlands”