(053) Moonshine

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by Olroda » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:31 pm

Re: (053) Moonshine

Having been taking in the scene in awkward silence, Beringar finally finds enough courage to utter some words.

"I hope I can come with you. The snorks will be out for blood, now."

Post by mushgnome » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:56 pm

Eris wrote:Olaf says, "A couple of us need to make tracks to the ruins and open the door to the down below, and then come back and catch up with the rest of you."

"The Goblins might waste some time at the ruins thinking we're hiding down under it while we get further away from them."

Olaf will do just this thing. Once at the ruins he will reopen the door or whatever it was to the underground, toss the warg he is dragging down the steps, then backtrack to the battleground and follow the tracks the other's leave, obscuring them, as best he can as he goes.

The ruins are close, so he should be able to get there and back, leaving good tracks and drag marks, before the party makes it very far...just a few minutes at most.
Highbough is swift, unarmored, and wise in the ways of tracking, so he joins Olaf on the misdirection mission. (He also seems in no particular hurry to get to the Woods.) In hopes that the wargs will be particularly sensitive to Elf-smell, he stops several times along the way to urinate, leaving an unambigous scent trail from the battle-site to the ruins.
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by danhem » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:03 pm

Eris wrote:Olaf says, "A couple of us need to make tracks to the ruins and open the door to the down below, and then come back and catch up with the rest of you."

"The Goblins might waste some time at the ruins thinking we're hiding down under it while we get further away from them."

Olaf will do just this thing. Once at the ruins he will reopen the door or whatever it was to the underground, toss the warg he is dragging down the steps, then backtrack to the battleground and follow the tracks the other's leave, obscuring them, as best he can as he goes.

The ruins are close, so he should be able to get there and back, leaving good tracks and drag marks, before the party makes it very far...just a few minutes at most.
"A good idea Olaf. Dieter's ring would be of use in that subterfuge," Ulric offers. "Leaping away from the ruins in a few bounds will leave no useful tracks or scent trails. As long as the rest of us can cover our trail as we move."

"Now, let's get moving before we are run down."

OOC: Ways, did Ulric lose the Anthracite Sufferance when he tried to cast it?

Post by ehiker133 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:07 pm

Olroda wrote:Having been taking in the scene in awkward silence, Beringar finally finds enough courage to utter some words.

Desmond/Mondes perks up at the sound of an unfamiliar voice and they quickly pull the hood of their cloak up over their heads.

"Who said that? Who is new among us?" Desmond asks, after the noggins are covered.

OOC: I assume you know Desmond/Mondes is currently blind, Olroda? If not... they are currently blind. Now you know.
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by danhem » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:16 pm

flightcommander wrote:Armando notes that the party recovered from the secret reliquary three items: the staff, the collection of drinking cups (in Gustave's possession, I believe), and the still-mysterious lock box (stuffed in Armando's otherwise sadly depleted backpack). "I suspect these may be of some use to us ere their return to the Sisters, although I confess I haven't a clue how. I wonder if we might not be able to contact the Sisters from afar — using a crystal ball, perhaps? At any rate, our first considerations must be safety and food ... Master Wen, lead the way!"
OOC: There was a sack that Gustave pulled out of that hidden chamber too if my memory serves. Did anyone open that? Maybe it's full of bread and cheese.

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:46 pm

danhem wrote:OOC: Ways, did Ulric lose the Anthracite Sufferance when he tried to cast it?
Yes; that spell was consumed by interrupted casting.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:57 pm

Presumably Beringar wants to head back to the ruin for his pack at this point, so it's Olaf, highbough and Beringar back to the ruin leaving a decoy trail... Beringar is probably more comfortable with a small group including Olaf (whom he as already met properly), as opposed to a large company of rough-looking brigands and sorcerers whom he hasn't been properly introduced to!

Meanwhile the rest are planning to head east at their best pace--which will be about 6" with one blinded and one deceased hobbit, moving over rough terrain.

The most pressing question is: Do you plan to use the magic-beans to grow to giant size (and double your pace), and if so... how many? (Let's assume that a strong man enlarged to giant-size could carry two others without being encumbered).
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by doctorx » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:05 pm

"To the Wildwood," says Josiane decisively, the signs being as clear as any she has seen.

She retrieves her coin, sheathes her sword and gently ruffles Hoot's feathers.

"Thank you for your guidance, my friend. You shall not find us unheeding."

Post by mushgnome » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:44 pm

Highbough notices the party's non-elves are beginning to organize. It is time to end his private conversation with Wen. He whispers in Elvish to Wen: "A few last words... When we get to the forest, I must conceal the nature of my magic. I have history with the Wood Elves, for you see..."

[OOC: I won't bore you with the details here, since Wen obviously knows the old rumors quite well. The younger Elf might feel a shiver down his spine to hear the tale of The Cypher narrated in the first person!]
Last edited by mushgnome on Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by doctorx » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:53 pm

Olroda wrote:Having been taking in the scene in awkward silence, Beringar finally finds enough courage to utter some words.

Josiane registers the new arrival for the first time, and flashes him her pretty, (if currently rather pale) smile.

"It would be an ill deed to spurn one who came selflessly to our defence. Welcome, friend. I am Josiane. How are you called?"

Return to “Hinterlands”