(005) Return to the Fountain

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon May 24, 2010 10:50 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
Rodrick's backpack is turned out, and the water shaken out of it. His waterskin, sodden supplies, bundle of six (wet) torches, a silver flask of holy water, and his bedroll clatter to the ground.

Crystin takes the flask of holy water while the others set about filling the backpack and two sacks with coins. The trink and ring of cascading coin seems to echo all through the stony dunjon until you are certain that it must attract unwanted attention (1d6), but you good fortune holds, and at last the three containers are stuffed full.

There before you are two sacks bursting with copper coins (1,200 in each) and Rodrick's backback full up with the gold, silver and another 453 cp. Each sack weighs 6 stone, and the pack 4 stone.

"I'll take these," grunts Victor, and puts the gems, and the remaining 267cp into his pack. Mads has the heavy belt (weight 1/2 a stone), Ulric has the oynx idol, and Anwyn picks up the other trinkets.

Who will carry the bulk loot? And who will take care of Rodrick's Book of Solemn Contemplation (weighs 1 stone)?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon May 24, 2010 3:24 pm

coffee wrote:
"I'll carry something," Dieter says. "Always the pack mule, me."

But he'll make sure to carry it in such a way that he can drop it quickly should he need to.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon May 24, 2010 4:34 pm

eris wrote:
coffee wrote:"I'll carry something," Dieter says. "Always the pack mule, me."

But he'll make sure to carry it in such a way that he can drop it quickly should he need to.
"Same here." Olaf says, "But we were attacked on the way here, and we might be attacked on the way back, so we'll need to be able to drop the loot and fight on a moment's notice."

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon May 24, 2010 5:38 pm

heartless wrote:
waysoftheearth wrote:Rodrick's backpack is turned out, and the water shaken out of it. His waterskin, sodden supplies, bundle of six (wet) torches, a silver flask of holy water, and his bedroll clatter to the ground.

Crystin takes the flask of holy water while the others set about filling the backpack and two sacks with coins. The trink and ring of cascading coin seems to echo all through the stony dunjon until you are certain that it must attract unwanted attention (1d6), but you good fortune holds, and at last the three containers are stuffed full.

Who will carry the bulk loot? And who will take care of Rodrick's Book of Solemn Contemplation (weighs 1 stone)?
Crystin will take care of Rodrick's Book of Solemn Contemplation but will leave her shovel behind in the empty cell to retrieve later.

OOC: I can carry 1/2 stone + 1/2 stone for shovel = 1 stone.
Do I know how far away is the the Knights of the Guardian Path are to return the spell book and Rodrick's body?

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon May 24, 2010 10:05 pm

Harry wrote:
"Aye.....I'll carry me fair share, this I am used to" mutters Taines

With a ummpff, Taines loads up and stands in wait.

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon May 24, 2010 10:45 pm

waysoftheearth wrote:
heartless wrote: OOC: I can carry 1/2 stone + 1/2 stone for shovel = 1 stone.
Do I know how far away is the the Knights of the Guardian Path are to return the spell book and Rodrick's body?
Yes, but Crystin already picked up Rodrick's shield and holy water, so she will be encumbered by the hefty tome (not surprising as she will then have three mighty volumes in her pack -- a walking library). Don't worry too much, others will be encumbered too.

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon May 24, 2010 10:48 pm

waysoftheearth wrote:
Dieter and Taines each heft the heavy bags of coins, holding them like a giant sack of potatoes in two hands. Olaf shoulders Rodrick's heavy pack. All three adventurers are encumbered by this new load.

Who will move Rodrick's body? Where to next?

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue May 25, 2010 2:42 am

danhem wrote:
Ulric moves to Roderick's body.

"Perhaps two or three of us can help carry Roderick's body. There should be enough wood above to make a pallet to make carrying him easier. Might I suggest we leave the bulk of the torches and rope behind in one of the empty cells to lighten our loads? Then let us get out of here before any more terrors spring upon us."

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue May 25, 2010 3:29 am

Harry wrote:
(OOC - I would cast this out as an idea - how about 1 or 2 of us take some coin and jewels,, head back to town, trade for horses or other pack animal and head back, then load the whole lot up, Sir Roders and all. As heavily encumbered as we will be, we will make a fine target for marauders, gobbies etc)

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue May 25, 2010 8:34 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
Ulric convinces the indifferent Anwyn to assist with moving Rodrick's body. Dressed as he is in ring mail, he is a heavy load, but the brave knight certainly deserves better than to be left amid a mess of rubble and slain Hobgoblins in the underworld -- especially with that great spider lurking somewhere near...

Mads leads the over burdened party back through the dim passage to the cells, where upon you unpack and stash the following items in an empty cell in an effort to substantially lighten your load:
  • Caine, 10 arrows (still 10 left, plus 3 silver arrows),
  • Mads, 10 arrows (still 8 left), 60ft hemp rope,
  • Olaf, 10 arrows (still 8 left), tinderbox (still has a masterwork tinderbox), 6 iron spikes (still 5 left), 3 torches (still 3 left),
  • Crystin, 6 iron spikes (still 5 left), winter blanket, spade, 2 torches (still 3 left),
  • Anwyn 3 torches (still 1 left), 60ft of hemp rope,
  • Victor 60ft of hemp rope,
  • Mads 60ft of hemp rope,
  • Dieter 60ft of hemp rope, grappling hook (still has a spring loaded grappling hook)
  • Taines 60ft of hemp rope.
Dieter and Ulric are still each carrying 60ft of silk rope (but if you desperately want to hang onto any of the above, please say so).

(1d6)

All this unpacking done, you heft your various burdens once more and proceed back to the steep, narrow stair and make the tiring ascent back into the dazzling daylight above...

At the top of the stair you are somewhat surprised to find the hour approaching noon on a cool, breezy autumn day. Your adventures below have all taken but a single morning!

You all gather in the tower basement, and dump your loot (and Rodrick). It is high time for lunch if not a well deserved rest!

edit : detailed explicitly who has left what behind.

Return to “Hinterlands”