(005) Return to the Fountain

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun May 23, 2010 2:15 am

coffee wrote:
Dieter has a shovel. We can haul the loot outside into the woods and bury it, and then worry about getting it back to town later.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun May 23, 2010 3:29 am

eris wrote:
heartless wrote:Crystin says, "lets move Rodrick's body to a safe place like the empty barred cell. When we complete our mission we will retrieve his body for a funeral befitting a noble knight."

"I am sure Rodrick would want us to go on and make use of this shield and helmet for protection, so in death he can still aids us.

Who here is in need of a shield who can make use this one?

Who here is in need of a helmet with Thuul's mark of protection who can make use this one?"
"I would be honored to wear Rodrick's helm." Olaf says.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun May 23, 2010 3:38 am

eris wrote:
coffee wrote:Dieter has a shovel. We can haul the loot outside into the woods and bury it, and then worry about getting it back to town later.
Consider this me speaking as "devil's advocate"...

We know there is more treasure here, on a second level down if not on this level...which it appears we've just *started* to explore. What we've found is more than we can carry.

It might be time to head back to town to cash in what we've found and convert it into more useful forms like henchmen, porters and pack animals. Getting back to town with what we have now is not an assured thing, either.

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun May 23, 2010 3:48 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
After speaking, Olaf kneels and takes up the fallen knight's helm. It is of a tall, conical design and buffed to a high metal sheen. Upon the front is emblazoned boldly the unmistakable Enigma of Thuul. He has never been a deeply religious sort (neutral)... but the helmet will provide ample protection none the less.

Turning the head-gear over in his hands, Olaf spots upon the rim of the leather inner-cap a two letters, apparently hand carved into the leather; "R. B.". He shrugs and dons the lofty helmet -- it is a strange weight upon his head, but a comfortable fit.

(Olaf's AC is improved to 5)

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun May 23, 2010 4:11 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
With the loot laid out before you, you discuss your options for carrying, moving or stowing it. Anwyn, Victor and Caine are posted in three of the four passages leaving the now ruinous chamber, wary of any nasty surprises...

You are already carrying quite a store of goods. Amongst your packs you have 70 arrows, 22 torches, a 4ft pole (Mads) and an 8ft pole (Dieter), no fewer than five 60ft coils of hemp rope (which weigh 1 stone each), one 60ft length of silk rope and Dieter's 60ft of trusty silk rope. That's not counting Crystin's 60ft of hemp rope which was left dangling down to the chamber below.

It seems to make good sense to create a stock pile somewhere, rather than lugging it all about with you. Then all you would need is some trusty men-at-arms to guard it for you...

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun May 23, 2010 5:24 am

coffee wrote:
"I'd rather stockpile it out here in the wild," says Dieter. "Who can say what would happen to our loot if those political goblins got their hands in it?"

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon May 24, 2010 2:31 am

danhem wrote:
Ulric looks over the array of treasure in awe and wonder. He picks up the onyx statue and inspects it carefully.

"I must agree with Olaf. We have acquired much more than I imagined possible when we first laid eyes on this pile of rubble. We also have the treasure we won from the spider and the few coins from the goblins. Perhaps it is time to return to town. We can see to Roderick's remains and get some real rest. From the looks of the size of this place we may need a few extra hands as well. We can stash some of our rope, torches, arrows and other mundane equipment in one of the empty cells for our return so that we can smuggle as much treasure back as we can."

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon May 24, 2010 4:14 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
The oynx statue is the size of a large apple and fits into the palm of Ulric's hand, but is surprisingly massy. It is passingly interesting to look at for a few moments, but in summary is rather too gawdy for Ulric's taste. It may perchance be worth something to a collector of such things, but it hasn't the least whiff of sorcery about it...

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon May 24, 2010 5:06 am

heartless wrote:
waysoftheearth wrote:How do you plan to transport the treasure? On the wet floor before you is arrayed some 18 stone of glittering loot (15 stone of which is copper coins -- worth 520 sp and 520 XP).
And there is also the matter of carrying containers. Each of you has a backpack which will hold 2 stone of regular gear or 4 stone of coins (800 coins) -- but these are mostly full with your present gear. There is also Rodrick's backpack. But nobody thought to bring a spare sack in which to cart away loot...
Crystin pops out 2 empty stacks and states ;D, "I do come prepared, thanks to the advise of some seasoned templars who trained me. Lets use these sacks to carry the loot. May I suggest we also make use of poor Rodrick's backpack."

"I agree with Ulric lets sell our treasures and resupply ourselves and return again soon".

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon May 24, 2010 8:56 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
Crystin takes up Rodrick's metal shield (improves her AC to 6).

It appears that she also has a couple of sacks in her pack which will be ideal for moving the loot (apologies, I hadn't noticed that you updated your gear before starting).

A single sack will hold 3 stone of regular gear, or up to 6 stone (1,200) of coin. Full of coin a sack would require two hands to carry.

Return to “Hinterlands”