(005) Return to the Fountain

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat May 22, 2010 7:50 am

coffee wrote:
Once Dieter has completed his destruction, he'll help gather the coins.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat May 22, 2010 7:52 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
A quick role-call and supply check reveals the following;

Caine has 4 of 8 hit-points.
Mads has 7 of 7 hit-points.
Anwyn has 5 of 5 hit-points.
Victor has 8 of 11 hit-points.
Dieter has 6 of 7 hit-points.
Olaf has 6 of 6 hit-points.
Ulric has 4 of 4 hit-points.
Taines has 8 of 12 hit-points.
Crystin has 4 of 6 hit-points.

None of these wounds are recoverable by resting (because none of them were suffered in the most recent melee). They require a full night's rest (or magic) to requite.

Ulric's memory of The Baleful Somnolence of Morpheus is fresh. His memory of The Word of Anthracite Sufferance is in doubt.

Crystin's memory of The Supplication of Medicant Requite is in doubt.

Each of you has at least 4 days of supplies remaining.

There are plenty of torches remaining (Crystin 5, Olaf 6, Rodrick 6(wet), Anwyn 4).

There is some oil (Taines 3/4 of a flask, Ulric 1 & 3/4 flasks) and also Olaf's Magefire Oil.

There is some holy water (Rodrick 3/4 of a flask).
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat May 22, 2010 8:10 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
(1d6)

...Dieter helps Mads sort the remaining coin and other oddities, and then waits while Mads methodically tallies the numbers, muttering to himself as he does so.

At last Mads is satisfied with his counting and announces "35 gold coins, 312 silver coins, 3,120 copper coins, 14 thumbnail sized gemstones, and a few miscellaneous oddities; a heavy silver drinking goblet, plain gold ring, a 1ft brass scepter, a small oynx idol of a supremely fat man sitting cross-legged, and a broad belt of brass and bronze clasps."

Your eyes sparkle greedily in the semi-gloom. It's a lusty haul to be sure...

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat May 22, 2010 12:41 pm

heartless wrote:
Crystin says, "I am sure Rodrick would want to aid us now if he could, I shall look after his spell book for safe keeping, and his bag of pure water for healing, and the Holy Water, since I am a follow Templar and are familiar with the correct use of these items."

OOC: Can I read Rodrick's The Book of Solemn Contemplation spells?
Would it be fitting me to use Rodrick's helmet or shield, as I need better protection.
I assume Rodrick's water bag contains pure water or he couldn't heal, am I right?

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat May 22, 2010 1:08 pm

waysoftheearth wrote:
heartless wrote: Can I read Rodrick's The Book of Solemn Contemplation spells?
The Book of Solemn Contemplation is penned in the Archaic script which (1d6=5) Crystin is familiar with. However, the prayers contained therein supplicate the Human Deity Thuul. Your powers are granted by the Elvish Deity Heledd. The book is certainly valuable, however, and the Knights of the Guardian Path would doubtless be indebted to whomever should return it to them.

However, given enough time and resources for the appropriate study and meditation, you could devise similar prayers to Heledd. This would all be considered magical research to be done between adventures.
heartless wrote: Would it be fitting me to use Rodrick's helmet or shield, as I need better protection.
Rodrick's helm is emblazoned with the Enigma of Thuul the Holy Symbol of His Order. It is also sized to fit a Man. Your Elf-maid's noggin is considerably smaller, but you might still wear it.
heartless wrote:I assume Rodrick's water bag contains pure water or he couldn't heal, am I right?
Rodrick's waterskin contains ordinary water -- he healed using his flask of Holy Water.

Rodrick would also have been able to purify water as required with his Prayer of Lentic Rarefaction, although he never had the chance to do so.

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat May 22, 2010 4:02 pm

verhaden wrote:
Mads the Fair

"I think we can all agree that some funds should be set aside for Rodrick, for both a funeral and to any family he might have... failing that, maybe a donation to his Order? As for the rest, I'm content to see that the rest of the coins are divided evenly. If we assume the rest of the treasure is enchanted, it might be best to find out what, exactly, they do, and dole them out to those who could use them the most on our continued expeditions."

With that said, Mads takes a closer look at the belt. Are there any markings or anything otherwise noteworthy about this piece?

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun May 23, 2010 12:20 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
Mads examines the broad belt of brass and bronze clasps closely.

A series of circular metal discs make up the belt, each being about the size of his palm and are alternately made of bronze or brass. There is a pattern of concentric circles made of the alternate metal plated onto each clasped disc by some artisan's delicate hand. The front clasp is similar, but half as large again, and bears an engraved image which might be a stylised Oxen's head, or similar. That aside there are no other glyphs or symbols to be seen.

The belt is modestly impressive with all its metal, but hardly appears to be any more valuable than a common sword...

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun May 23, 2010 12:22 am

heartless wrote:
Crystin says, "lets move Rodrick's body to a safe place like the empty barred cell. When we complete our mission we will retrieve his body for a funeral befitting a noble knight."

"I am sure Rodrick would want us to go on and make use of this shield and helmet for protection, so in death he can still aids us.

Who here is in need of a shield who can make use this one?

Who here is in need of a helmet with Thuul's mark of protection who can make use this one?"

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun May 23, 2010 12:35 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
Mads has neither shield nor helm (AC 5).
Victor has his own wooden shield, but no helm (AC 5).
Olaf has a wood shield, but no helm (AC 6).
Crystin has neither shield nor helm (AC 7).

Dieter has shield and helm already.
Taines has both shield and helm already.
Caine, Anwyn and Ulric probably don't want either.

Remember, wearing a helm increases your odds of being surprised and decreases your odds of finding secret doors by 1 in 6.

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun May 23, 2010 12:55 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
How do you plan to transport the treasure? On the wet floor before you is arrayed some 18 stone of glittering loot (15 stone of which is copper coins -- worth 520 sp and 520 XP).

In order to remain unencumbered, Caine (strength 7) and Mads (strength 11), Taines (strength 14) and Crystin (strength 12) (having already abandoned her winter blanket) can each carry just 1/2 a stone more.

Olaf (strength 14) can carry 1 more stone.

Victor (strength 13) can carry another 1.5 stone unencumbered. Dieter is as strong as a horse (17), but is already loaded with the gear others could not carry, and can shoulder only 1.5 stone more and remain unencumbered. Ulric (strength 10) can also carry 1.5 stone in addition to his present load.

Anwyn with her near magical strength (15) for one so slight can (amazingly) carry an additional 3 stone!

So in total, the party can carry an additional 10.5 stone and remain unencumbered. You may have to abandon some gear, or some treasure, go encumbered, or else hire some porters...

And there is also the matter of carrying containers. Each of you has a backpack which will hold 2 stone of regular gear or 4 stone of coin (800 pieces) -- but these are mostly full with your present gear. There is also Rodrick's backpack. But nobody thought to bring a spare sack in which to cart away loot...

edit : updated carrying capacity. See also the cost of goods thread.

Return to “Hinterlands”