(082) The Darkness Below


Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

User avatar

Posts: 1617

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm

Location: Just west of St. Louis

Post Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:26 pm

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

Leudigar shrugs and agrees to take the last watch if Freid wants the first one.
[f=4]Leudigar the Tracker (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 2+2, hp 9/9, FC 2 Men, L) mail+helm, silvered sword+Torch
Desmond/Mondes the Hobbet Hero/Burglar (MV 9", AC 5/7, HD 4/2+2, hp 19/19, FC Hero, N) leather+helm, short sword+main gauche[/f]

Posts: 502

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:54 pm

Location: Pace, FL

Post Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:15 pm

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

I missed Leudigar's offer to take 1st watch. I guess Freid did, too! :)
[f=4]Manfreid the Fighter (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 1+2, hp 10/10, FC Man+1, N) silver mail+helm, sword+shield[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16340

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:32 am

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

Leudigar hastily locates a camp place that is as concealed as possible, and the weary company drop their heavy packs to prepare for some well earned rest...
The three watches pass eerily, being so close the goblin fortress is it almost too quiet. But they ride whatever luck comes their way, and the cold grey dawn arrives without incident. Where are all the goblins?
The ref dices for a night encounter 1d6= ... DOH! Don't panic; it's only a 5.

What now?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1617

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm

Location: Just west of St. Louis

Post Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:14 am

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

After a quick meal of cold, hard trail rations, Leudigar leads the others back to the secured camp. He uses his ranger skills to determine the fastest course there, trying to compensate for the bit of wandering they did to find it.

He assumes whatever pace the slowest person is...
[f=4]Leudigar the Tracker (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 2+2, hp 9/9, FC 2 Men, L) mail+helm, silvered sword+Torch
Desmond/Mondes the Hobbet Hero/Burglar (MV 9", AC 5/7, HD 4/2+2, hp 19/19, FC Hero, N) leather+helm, short sword+main gauche[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1476

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:17 am

Location: San Diego, Ca

Post Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:29 pm

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

Zem is ready to put as many miles between the party and the goblins as possible. "Curse that Medusa this wound still aches." he mumbles to no one.
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow
Zem the Dwarf Veteran (MV 7", AC 3/5, HD 2+1, hp 9/9, FC 2 Men1, L) mail+sh+helm, waraxe[/f]

Posts: 502

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:54 pm

Location: Pace, FL

Post Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:32 pm

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

Freid brings up the rear, keeping a close eye on their back trail...obscuring it as best he can as they go...and watching for any sign they are being followed.
[f=4]Manfreid the Fighter (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 1+2, hp 10/10, FC Man+1, N) silver mail+helm, sword+shield[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16340

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:07 pm

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

Leudigar leads the burdened company down through the hills and brush for all of the next day. Despite the weight of their packs and the bushwhacking trail, he is satisfied that they make decent time. By sunset he reckons they've put another 12, maybe 15, miles between them and the goblin fort... he hopes it will be enough.

The weary crew drop their clinking packs around dusk, and settle into a small, sheltered dell. Leudigar is against lighting a fire, so they chew on what's left of their cold, hard, dried meat and fruit, and drink from flagging water skins... two or maybe three more days, they speculate, and they'll have made it!

Fried settles in for the first watch as the others try to get some sleep...
Right. To accelerate this return trip i'm going to roll for daily encounters until either one comes up, or you make it back to camp without one. That Leudigar can't get lost (only delayed) will reduce the risk of this little jaunt... so let's see:
1d6=4, 1d6=6. Ah, so... something happens on the second night out. I will have to assume the same order of watches, and dice for whatever and whenever it may be...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1617

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm

Location: Just west of St. Louis

Post Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:23 pm

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

That sounds like an efficient way, WOTE.

However, I feel I should point out that not rolling a 6 would be even more efficient...
[f=4]Leudigar the Tracker (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 2+2, hp 9/9, FC 2 Men, L) mail+helm, silvered sword+Torch
Desmond/Mondes the Hobbet Hero/Burglar (MV 9", AC 5/7, HD 4/2+2, hp 19/19, FC Hero, N) leather+helm, short sword+main gauche[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1476

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:17 am

Location: San Diego, Ca

Post Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:39 pm

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

Bring it on... err um but I hope it's a Nerf Plushy Monster
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow
Zem the Dwarf Veteran (MV 7", AC 3/5, HD 2+1, hp 9/9, FC 2 Men1, L) mail+sh+helm, waraxe[/f]

Posts: 502

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:54 pm

Location: Pace, FL

Post Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:24 pm

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

Freid stays alert during his watch!
With us all having 2 HP left, let's hope it's not too strong an opponent we have to deal with.
[f=4]Manfreid the Fighter (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 1+2, hp 10/10, FC Man+1, N) silver mail+helm, sword+shield[/f]
PreviousNext

Return to Hinterlands

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software