(084) The Churchcroft Cellar


Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

User avatar

Posts: 1162

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:56 pm

Post Fri May 19, 2017 2:18 pm

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

Chiron holds his lantern high, obviously interested in the boat.

I've heard tell of cultures where they bury the dead in boats, to speed their passage to the afterlife. I wonder if this is just an elaborate coffin? Anyone want to climb in and find out?
Chiron the Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 4/4, FC Man, L) dagger+torch, The Mellifluent Concord
User avatar

Posts: 342

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:39 am

Post Fri May 19, 2017 4:14 pm

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

Morin also raises his lantern high to cast light onto the boat. Is he tall enough to see over the railings into it?
[f=4]Morin the Fighter/Medium (MV 12", AC 7, HD 2-2, hp 8/8, FC Man+1, N) scimitar+lantern[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16340

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sat May 20, 2017 12:00 am

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

The company enter the boat room and secure the area.

Walfried move around the boat to listen at the far door; Orim the nearer. Neither detect any obvious sound above their own fellows moving about and talking in hushed tones.

Morin can peer right into the unfinished boat; Boggs has to step up onto a part of the base supporting it to see that the cradle of boat is about half complete. There is an old carpenter's hammer, a few loose nails and spacing wedges littered within, as well as clear evidence that vermin frequent the boat regularly. Boggs wouldn't be surprised if there were a bunch of rats hiding in the gap between the hull and the floor right now...
Listening checks 2d6=?, ?

Monster check 1d6=?

That concludes turn three.

Orders for turn four?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 217

Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:24 am

Location: Montreal, QC

Post Sat May 20, 2017 12:45 am

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

Mero circles the boat to the near door, keeping his eyes fixed on it and his shield raised towards it (it being the boat).

When he reaches the other side he tries his weight against the door.
[f=4]Mero the Fighter (M 9", AC 2/4, hp 7/7, FC Man+1, L) plate+helm, spear+shield[/f]

Just don't panic because your life is in the hands of someone named Dopey
User avatar

Posts: 16340

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sat May 20, 2017 1:01 am

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

Mero rather easily forces the nearer door (being roughly in the middle of the wall opposite his entry into this room) with his shoulder.

It appears the door opens into the crook of an L-shaped passage, so that there are two routes; ahead and left. Ahead, the passage runs 40-50ft to a left turn. To the left, the passage traverses 50-60ft before coming to another door. All is cool and quiet. And dark...
Force door check: 1d6=6!
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 832

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:12 pm

Post Sat May 20, 2017 1:38 am

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

Boggs warns: "Be careful, the boat is infested! If the vermin were hostile, they probably would have attacked immediately. But still, nobody should be alone in this room. Hungry rats have been known to attack stragglers. This boat is a good find. I wonder if it means we are near an underground body of water? We can salvage this wood if we need to build a fire, board up a door, or cross a pit. I'd say we should take the hammer, nails, and other tools, except I'm not convinced it's safe to set foot inside the boat just yet. All this talk of burial rites has me worried about the undead."
[f=4]Boggs Dwarf Rat Catcher 1 (MV 9", AC 6, HD 1, HP 7/7, N) padded+helm, cudgel, sling.[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 217

Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:24 am

Location: Montreal, QC

Post Sat May 20, 2017 2:12 am

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

"I say we give them a proper viking funeral," suggests Mero looking meaningfully at the hireling's torch.
[f=4]Mero the Fighter (M 9", AC 2/4, hp 7/7, FC Man+1, L) plate+helm, spear+shield[/f]

Just don't panic because your life is in the hands of someone named Dopey
User avatar

Posts: 342

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:39 am

Post Sat May 20, 2017 3:55 am

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

Morin eyes the boat ... for later. "The main hallway behind us must reach its end shortly; I suggest we continue to explore that first before following these other passages."
[f=4]Morin the Fighter/Medium (MV 12", AC 7, HD 2-2, hp 8/8, FC Man+1, N) scimitar+lantern[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 442

Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:22 pm

Location: Southern Quebec

Post Sat May 20, 2017 11:59 am

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

Orim eyes the boat warily.

Didn't realize the door Orim was at had been opened already, edited to remove that action.
Last edited by merias on Sat May 20, 2017 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[f=4]Orim the Dwarf Fighter (M 9" AC 6/6 HD 1+2 hp 7/7 FC Man+1) leather+helm, spear+hand axe[/f]
[f=32]Aldbane the Cleric (M 6" AC 2/3 HD 2 hp 9/9) plate+shield+helm, war hammer, sling[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 220

Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:34 pm

Post Sat May 20, 2017 4:41 pm

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

"Somebody back me up," says Brother Walfried to those near him. Then he puts his shoulder into the door he's been listening at, attempting to force it open.
[f=4]Brother Walfried (M 9", AC 2/4, HD 1, hp 4/4, FC Man, L) plate+helm, warhammer+shield[/f]
PreviousNext

Return to Hinterlands

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software