More Superseded House Rules (Circa 2010)

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by waysoftheearth » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:55 pm

waysoftheearth wrote:
Weapon Type Versus Armour Type

This is (hopefully) a simplified version of the addition to the Alternate Combat System which appeared in Greyhawk (pages 13 and 14).

ShieldHideMailPlateWeapon TypeLight Weapon-1------Missile Weapon-2------Wrapping Weapon+1------Damage Type(/td)
(/tr)

(tr)
(td)Slashing Damage(/td)(td)--(/td)(td)+1(/td)(td)0(/td)(td)0(/td)
(/tr)

(tr)
(td)Piercing Damage(/td)(td)--(/td)(td)+1(/td)(td)+1(/td)(td)-1(/td)
(/tr)

(tr)
(td)Bludgeoning Damage(/td)(td)--(/td)(td)0(/td)(td)0(/td)(td)+1(/td)
(/tr)

(tr)
(td)Untyped Damage(/td)(td)--(/td)(td)0(/td)(td)0(/td)(td)-1(/td)
(/tr)

(/table)

Fails and whips are wrapping weapons because they "wrap around" shields.

Clubs, staffs, whips and slings are considered "untyped damage" because these (cheap) weapons are poor against plate armour.

The attack modifiers given under Weapon Type are cumulative with those given under Damage Type. Thus, a PC firing a crossbow at an enemy wearing chainmail and carrying a shield would be -2 (for missiles versus shields) and +1 (for piercing attacks versus mail). So our PC would attack with a -1 modifier overall.

edit : added "untyped" damage category.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:55 pm

waysoftheearth wrote:
Weapon Type Versus Armour Type

This is (hopefully) a simplified version of the addition to the Alternate Combat System which appeared in Greyhawk (pages 13 and 14).

ShieldHideMailPlateWeapon TypeLight Weapon-1------Missile Weapon-2------Wrapping Weapon+1------Damage Type(/td)
(/tr)

(tr)
(td)Slashing Damage(/td)(td)--(/td)(td)+1(/td)(td)0(/td)(td)0(/td)
(/tr)

(tr)
(td)Piercing Damage(/td)(td)--(/td)(td)+1(/td)(td)+1(/td)(td)-1(/td)
(/tr)

(tr)
(td)Bludgeoning Damage(/td)(td)--(/td)(td)0(/td)(td)0(/td)(td)+1(/td)
(/tr)

(tr)
(td)Untyped Damage(/td)(td)--(/td)(td)0(/td)(td)0(/td)(td)-1(/td)
(/tr)

(/table)

Fails and whips are wrapping weapons because they "wrap around" shields.

Clubs, staffs, whips and slings are considered "untyped damage" because these (cheap) weapons are poor against plate armour.

The attack modifiers given under Weapon Type are cumulative with those given under Damage Type. Thus, a PC firing a crossbow at an enemy wearing chainmail and carrying a shield would be -2 (for missiles versus shields) and +1 (for piercing attacks versus mail). So our PC would attack with a -1 modifier overall.

edit : added "untyped" damage category.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by waysoftheearth » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:44 pm

makofan wrote:
Can Caine use a dagger in each hand?

Post by waysoftheearth » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:53 pm

waysoftheearth wrote:
makofan wrote:Can Caine use a dagger in each hand?
Yes.

Typically, a second weapon must be a light weapon.

Using a second weapon offensively improves the odds of landing a hit, adding +1 to attack rolls. An even throw will strike with the primary weapon, while an odd throw will strike with the secondary weapon. A natural 20 hits with both.

Using a second weapon defensively (as a main gauche) causes opponents with light or normal-sized slashing or piercing weapons to suffer -1 to hit. A main gauche is ineffective against other attacks, however, including large weapons, bludgeoning attacks, missile attacks and other "monster" attacks (bites, tail-swipes, etc.).

Note also that a straight fighting staff can be wielded in the two weapons fighting style.

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:07 pm

Valandil wrote:
I have a question. How are you handling critical hits? For example, if I'm wielding a long sword, and I roll a natural 20, do I roll 4dd?

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:56 pm

tombowings wrote:
Waysoftheearth, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that one additional damage die is thrown on a critical hit. Therefore a long sword would roll 3dd rather than 2dd on a roll of a natural 20.

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:59 pm

waysoftheearth wrote:
Yes, Tombowings has it exactly right [img]images/smiley/smiley.png[/img]

A natural 20 on a to-hit roll allows you to roll one addition damage die (dd).

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:28 am

Valandil wrote:
Understood.

I was asking because I'm considering to steal your damage system. Thanks (:

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:48 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
That's great news Valandil! There's no higher praise than other people using (parts of) my house rules for their own games [img]images/smiley/smiley.png[/img]

edit: fixed typo

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:17 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
Those reading this may be interested in my one page Player's Reference Sheet which you can download http://www.mediafire.com/file/hy080eiby ... 0Sheet.pdfhere .

It's a quick guide for players of "Eyre Tor"-style house-ruled D&D according to "my way" of running things -- like this Hinterlands game!

It describes most of the classic Original and/or Advanced D&D PC classes, as well as most of the essential game mechanics. All on one (double-sided) page. I'll probably add a page of equipment lists in the next version.

Players of this Hinterlands game should find it familiar (except for most of the "optional" AD&D inspired classes which we're not using). When the company next returns to town I'm planning to "officially" switch over to v6.x of my house-rules document (which -- bar the chances in 6 based on ability scores, and a hit-point here or there -- is identical to what we're playing now).

Enjoy ;D

Return to “Superseded House Rules 2010”