House Rules Revisited Q&A

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:44 am

This Thread Has Been Superseded: Please See HERE For the 2014 House Rules!

This thread is for any questions you may have about the house rules revisited.
Ask here and I will try to answer.

I'll also update the house rules thread as necessary.

edit: pointed link to new host.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:13 pm

verhaden wrote:
I updated my character sheet to reflect the changes. My rolled HP was 1+2 (+2 con) for a result of 8, but the rules now reflect 1+3 for fighters--should I just add 1 or do you want to re-roll? Or keep as is? Any is fine with me.

--

Class vs. ability score chances of success: I've found that ability score chances of success for feats has worked well at the table for me, but I understand how bothersome it can be in a PBP format, where the players are unable to call out their respective chances.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:25 pm

waysoftheearth wrote:
verhaden wrote:I updated my character sheet to reflect the changes. My rolled HP was 1+2 (+2 con) for a result of 8, but the rules now reflect 1+3 for fighters--should I just add 1 or do you want to re-roll? Or keep as is? Any is fine with me.
We'll leave all the rolled hp "as is" for now.

The extra "+1" hp that were added to fighters were put in to replace the additional, "fighter only" fiddling around with the constitution adjustment. In essence, a possible 1 or 2 extra hp for some fighters was replaced by an absolute 1 extra hp for all fighters.

--
verhaden wrote: Class vs. ability score chances of success: I've found that ability score chances of success for feats has worked well at the table for me, but I understand how bothersome it can be in a PBP format, where the players are unable to call out their respective chances.
Agreed. I like the "chance in 6" based on abilities conceptually, but it's not worth the extra effort for the ref in a PBP. Compared to the "4 in 6 for class feats, or 2 in 6 otherwise" method, it usually amounts to either no difference or only a 1 in 6 difference anyway.

When running a big PBP, convenience counts for a lot [img]images/smiley/smiley.png[/img]

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:46 am

sulldawga wrote:
Where does Mads' Cold Iron Axe fit into the new weapon damage rules? Is it a pole axe? A battle axe?

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:15 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
sulldawga wrote:Where does Mads' Cold Iron Axe fit into the new weapon damage rules? Is it a pole axe? A battle axe?
Mads' Cold Iron Axe has always been a battle axe. It is designed to be used single-handed, but there's no reason it can't be used two-handed by a Dwarf.

Is there any mechanical reason to do so?

Using a suitably sized one-handed weapon (e.g., a battle axe or sword, but not a hand axe or dagger) with two-handed means a PC is less likely to drop his weapon if struck by surprise (he would have to fail two rolls instead of one). Additionally, his attack adjustment is increased by +1.

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:47 am

sulldawga wrote:
waysoftheearth wrote:Mads' Cold Iron Axe has always been a battle axe. It is designed to be used single-handed, but there's no reason it can't be used two-handed by a Dwarf.

Is there any mechanical reason to do so?

Using a suitably sized one-handed weapon (e.g., a battle axe or sword, but not a hand axe or dagger) with two-handed means a PC is less likely to drop his weapon if struck by surprise (he would have to fail two rolls instead of one). Additionally, his attack adjustment is increased by +1.
A battle axe is already +1 to hit. Using it with both hands means it becomes +2 to hit?

And it's possible to be used one-handed by Dorgan, if he so wishes?

I believe the answers to both questions are "yes" but might as well confirm with the boss while I have your attention.

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:38 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
sulldawga wrote: A battle axe is already +1 to hit. Using it with both hands means it becomes +2 to hit?

And it's possible to be used one-handed by Dorgan, if he so wishes?
Yes to both [img]images/smiley/smiley.png[/img]

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:27 pm

sulldawga wrote:
Any rule allowing bonuses to defense if fighting with a 'main gauche' in the off-hand, rather than a shield?

Or 'main droite' in Dorgan's case?

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:08 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
sulldawga wrote:Any rule allowing bonuses to defense if fighting with a 'main gauche' in the off-hand, rather than a shield?
Fighting with two weapons (main gauche/droite) will improve frontal AC by 1 pip.

This should be weighed against shields, which improve frontal AC by 2 pips. Looking at the weapon versus armour figures, you will also note that shields are more effective versus piercing weapons, but less effective against axes. Shields will also, in general, ablate a fatal blow, which a main gauche will not.

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:44 pm

danhem wrote:
Regarding the capacity of spellbooks:

A spellbook can contain many spells -- about eight 1st-3rd level spells, or six 4th-6th level spells, or four 7th-9th level spells will fit into a typical tome.

Ulric's Grimoire contained 13 spells (10 first, 1 second, 1 third, and 1 fourth level) at the time of the rules changes. Should I consider it "full" at this point or would you prefer to make changes as to where some of these spells are located to keep it within your guidelines above?

Return to “Superseded House Rules 2013”