Posting Guidelines

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:52 am

Posting Guidelines

Four years in, it's probably about time I pinned some posting guidelines so we can make the in-game thread as easy to read (and search!) as it can be :)

Here's my recommendations so far :

The Basics
  • Post in third person,
  • Post in present tense,
  • Bold important character names (including your own PC's name),
  • Wrap dialog in D or DIALOG tags,
  • Wrap in-character posts in IC tags,
  • Assume imperial measurements.
Advanced Stuff
  • Out-of-character posts that are unrelated to a specific in-game thread (e.g., discussion of real-world business) should go in the general Out Of Character thread,
  • Out-of-character posts that are related to a specific in-game thread (e.g., discussion of the in-game scenario, player options or strategies in that scenario, etc.) should go in the in-game thread wrapped in OC tags,
  • When replying you don't need to quote a recent post (the QUOTE tags can confuse the IC/OC tags and can complicate search results). So most of the time it's better to use the Post Reply button rather than Quote button,
  • If you really do need to quote a post, try to quote just the relevant part and ensure that the whole of the QUOTE tags are entirely within the IC or OC tags.
  • Potential orders for turns ahead of the current turn should go in OC tags; these are more player speculation about what might happen next rather than immediate character actions.
Comments and/or additions etc. welcome...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by ehiker133 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:55 am

Re: Posting Guidelines

A. Do you prefer dialog to be a different color?

B. If yes, would it be possible to get a Dialog button and standardize it to something most people use, like a blue, so I don't highlight text and then realize I forgot to open the Font Colour box so I have to do that and then re-highlight the text?
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by sully » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:59 am

For dialog color, I think this shade of blue works best.

If you click on the Font Colour box, it's in Row 1, Column 5. #0000FF.
Thanis [Stealthy Hero, MV 12′′, AC 7, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, N]. Hooded cloak, padded armor, sword, longbow +1 & quiver of arrows, dagger.

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:41 am

I've added the DIALOG and D tags (both do the same thing; make your text go blue).

I've also added the L, LAWFUL, N, NEUTRAL, and C, CHAOTIC tags for those occasions when you need to read a clerical scroll, speak to an infernal agent, handle an aligned magic-item, and so on.

Also there are now M and MAGIC tags for magic items and spells.

So posts like this:
  Code:
[dialog]"This is some regular dialog."[/dialog]
[d]"So is this."[/d]

[Lawful]"This is high and mighty LAWFUL talk."[/Lawful]
[L]"so is this!"[/L]

[Neutral]This is selfish NEUTRAL.[/Neutral]
[n]"so is this!"[/n]

[Chaotic]"This is wicked CHAOTIC speak!"[/Chaotic]
[c]"so is this!"[/c]

[Magic]Vorpal Sword[/Magic]
[M]Staff of Sorcery[/M]
Will be rendered like this:

"This is some regular dialog."
"So is this."

"This is high and mighty LAWFUL talk."
"so is this!"

This is selfish NEUTRAL.
"so is this!"

"This is wicked CHAOTIC speak!"
"so is this!"

Vorpal Sword
Staff of Sorcery
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by ehiker133 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:30 am

Nice! Thanks!
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by mushgnome » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:49 pm

Great work! I am typically lax about my formatting (especially when posting from my phone) but will try to pay better attention to "tags" in the future. How about a HIGHBOUGH tag that makes the words ooze contempt for lesser mortals?
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by sully » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:09 pm

Thanks for the tags, Ways!
Thanis [Stealthy Hero, MV 12′′, AC 7, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, N]. Hooded cloak, padded armor, sword, longbow +1 & quiver of arrows, dagger.

Post by ehiker133 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:56 pm

mushgnome wrote:Great work! I am typically lax about my formatting (especially when posting from my phone) but will try to pay better attention to "tags" in the future. How about a HIGHBOUGH tag that makes the words ooze contempt for lesser mortals?
Would Highbough deign to let a computer ooze his contempt??

Post by ehiker133 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:58 pm

If you make a Posting Guideline that says, "No SPAM!" do you think those SPAMbots will leave our game alone?

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:34 am

I've added the M (and MAGIC) tag as well (also added examples below).

Return to “Welcome! Read This First”