Ebon Hearted Soul's Experts

Makofan's Deep Dungeon Crawl PBP

Moderator: Makofan

Post by Makofan » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:55 pm

Re: Ebon Hearted Soul's Experts

I will let you know that the players have found Color Spray to be more useful, due to the unfortunate effect that Sleep has of :Causes 4-14 normal-types or 1 heroic-type with up to 4+1 hit dice to fall into a fitful slumber. The magic is indiscriminate and must affect the indicated number of creatures beginning with those nearest the target.

So if you roll a 10, and there are 8 monsters, your front two fighters also fall asleep. But it is powerful, as long as you know the risk. Color Spray only gets half that number, but less chance of friendly fire. So there are two viable spells, choose which one works best for you

Post by Ebon Hearted Soul » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:34 am

Makofan wrote:I will let you know that the players have found Color Spray to be more useful, due to the unfortunate effect that Sleep has of :Causes 4-14 normal-types or 1 heroic-type with up to 4+1 hit dice to fall into a fitful slumber. The magic is indiscriminate and must affect the indicated number of creatures beginning with those nearest the target.

So if you roll a 10, and there are 8 monsters, your front two fighters also fall asleep. But it is powerful, as long as you know the risk. Color Spray only gets half that number, but less chance of friendly fire. So there are two viable spells, choose which one works best for you
If i am reading Target right in conjunction to other spells, I pick a target within 24" (feet indoors or yards outdoors) then the target & those closest to it are effected first, thus if our front line people hold back let the spell go off then they will be fine unless not enough npcs are in range.

Either way I still prefer sleep, as I'll volunteer to be near the front so I can step forward & cast if a large number of enemies are before us. Color spray can back fire too, as those closest to the caster need to save unless of superheroic level. Our group will have to discuss tactics as a matter of course.

Makofan since the spell says "fitful" sleep does that mean they can be shaken up or will wake if damaged?
Veshengo "Vesh the scarred" Polgár Magic-User 1
S: 7 I: 17 W: 9 Cn: 13 D: 13 Ch: 4 Gold: 28 Silver: 16 Copper: 10 HP: 5

Warrec "Chegs" Chegwidden Fighting-Hobbet 1
S:14 I:10 W:9 Co:9 D:10 Ch:8 Gold:2 Copper: 45 HP:5

Post by Makofan » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:25 pm

Makofan since the spell says "fitful" sleep does that mean they can be shaken up or will wake if damaged?
I would agree with this

As to "target", I interpret that the target of sleep is a specific creature, not a specific area, and then it radiates out from the target creature

Post by Ebon Hearted Soul » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:39 pm

Makofan wrote:
I would agree with this

As to "target", I interpret that the target of sleep is a specific creature, not a specific area, and then it radiates out from the target creature
That is what I meant, I should've been more clear,at least we are on the same page as I don't make assumptions in play based on how I'd interpret it. In this case I'd interpret Sleep as you are if I was running a DD campaign because of the wording of the spell. The wording "fitful' just speaks of a sleep that can be broken; whereas in OD&D depending on the tone of the campaign you are running it could mean sleeping forever until the spell is dispelled & those put to sleep may be killed outright. I love seeing how other referees do things. BTW thanks for having me Makofan.

I forgot my alignment it is Neutral.

Post by Ebon Hearted Soul » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:08 pm

Veshengo "Vesh the scarred" Polgár
S: 7 I: 17 W: 9 Cn: 13 D: 13 Ch: 4 Gold: 27 Silver: 16 Copper: 10 HP: 5
Travelling cloak, Backpack (tinderbox, 6x wooden stakes, hammer, garlic string, a bunch of wolves-bane, a large sack, a wine flask, 100' rope, iron rations, a flask of holy water , oil flash, 5x torches & a bunch of belladonna); a small steel mirror (in robe pocket), a dagger (in sheath on belt), a dagger (in sheath in right boot), a lantern, waterskin (with strap across body) & staff.

memorized spell: Sleep.

Updated to be current. Silver is corrected as is number of torches.

Post by Ebon Hearted Soul » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:02 pm

Makofan before I update my character before our next delve I have a question or a few. Is there a recruitment fee for recruiting a porter & merc? If not, I'd tally the monthly upkeep for the porter/torchbearer & Merc's upkeep and monthly fee as described in the DD books?

I was thinking of hiring a porter/torchbeaerer to carry my lantern, torches & heavier equipment (rope ect.), buy him a backpack & 2 extra large sacks. I was also thinking of hiring two human footmen, one to march in front & the other behind Vesh & his porter. They would default guard the porter and Vesh when he is casting a spell, then revert back to primarily guarding his back or the defenseless porter. Vesh being not all that charismatic of people figures to buy his porter's loyalty by giving him a proper defense and will treat him well. Vesh will also buy rations, waterskins & backpacks for each footman.

But all this will depend on if there is an extra recruitment fee or not.

Post by Makofan » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:13 pm

Ebon Hearted Soul wrote:Makofan before I update my character before our next delve I have a question or a few. Is there a recruitment fee for recruiting a porter & merc? If not, I'd tally the monthly upkeep for the porter/torchbearer & Merc's upkeep and monthly fee as described in the DD books?

I was thinking of hiring a porter/torchbeaerer to carry my lantern, torches & heavier equipment (rope ect.), buy him a backpack & 2 extra large sacks. I was also thinking of hiring two human footmen, one to march in front & the other behind Vesh & his porter. They would default guard the porter and Vesh when he is casting a spell, then revert back to primarily guarding his back or the defenseless porter. Vesh being not all that charismatic of people figures to buy his porter's loyalty by giving him a proper defense and will treat him well. Vesh will also buy rations, waterskins & backpacks for each footman.

But all this will depend on if there is an extra recruitment fee or not.
No recruiting fee, so paragraph one is as you state

Everything you outline sounds great

Post by Ebon Hearted Soul » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:06 am

Veshengo "Vesh the scarred" Polgár
S: 7 I: 17 W: 9 Cn: 13 D: 13 Ch: 4 Gold: 46 Silver: 16 Copper: 10 HP: 5
Travelling cloak, Backpack (tinderbox, garlic string, a bunch of wolves-bane, a large sack, a wine flask, iron rations, a flask of holy water & a bunch of belladonna); a small steel mirror (in robe pocket), a dagger (in sheath on belt), a dagger (in sheath in right boot), a lantern, waterskin (with strap across body) & staff.

memorized spell: Sleep.

Young Aiden [Porter/Torchbearer]: Backpack* (6x wooden stakes, hammer, 100' rope, 4x oil flasks, 5x torches, a lantern, 1x week Iron Rations* & waterskin* <full>)

Marco de Silva [Footman 1]: Backpack* (1x week Iron Rations*, Large Sack*, crowbar*& Waterskin* <full>)

Mona de Silva [Footman 2]: Backpack* (1x week Iron Rations*, Large Sack* & Waterskin* <full>)

*= Items bought for Porter & Mercenaries.

non-*'d gear is Vesh's gear bought before the 4th Delve, now carried by both the Porter & Vesh.

The GP I spent to hire the Porter/Torchbearer (2gp /m.) & 2x Footmen (4gp+2gp upkeep each monthly totaling 12gp); plus the*'d gear totaling up 86gp for a grand total 100GP, leaving Vesh 46GP of which I added to his stat line above.

Update: Edited to include henchmen names.

Return to “Gorthaur's Madness”