Player's Thread

Makofan's Deep Dungeon Crawl PBP

Moderator: Makofan

Post by Brumbar » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:59 am

Re: Player's Thread

Lawrence will be in the back protecting the party from sneak attacks

Post by riftstone » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:54 am

Serech is probably better either guarding the rear or protecting the magic-user - going to the front rank only if there is not another with heavy armor.

Post by sully » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:09 am

Here's an attempt at a marching order. Let me know what you guys think.

I expect Het to be up ahead scouting but he'll slip behind Oldtin and Gunther once the scrapping breaks out.

I also like Alkman and Archie in the second rank because they have spears and can hopefully assist in melee behind Oldtin and Gunther.

2x2
Het
Oldtin - Gunther
Alkman - Archie
Golgudir - Fredrik
Serech - Lawrence
Thanis [Stealthy Hero, MV 12′′, AC 7, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, N]. Hooded cloak, padded armor, sword, longbow +1 & quiver of arrows, dagger.

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:23 am

I think the rules do suggest that three spearmen can fight abreast in a 10ft wide passage, but they're not explicit about spears fighting from a second rank (that's up to Mako :)).

Unless Mako says spears can attack from a second rank, I'd hold the soft mercs back; our A Game would, I think, be to position our top AC/hp persons in the front two ranks. The outright hardest guys should take front rank, with a handy second rank ready to relieve them after they get hit.

In the present company Lawrence, Serech, and Gunther(NPC) all have the best AC: 4 (mail+shield).
Oldtin and Fredrik also have AC 5 (mail).

Lawrence and Hetwhistle are the only figures who have more than 6 hp (so they can't be killed by the first normal hit). Fredrik also got a 6 hp and Serech 5 (nice!), so maybe second rankers? Golguldir has only 1 hp and will certainly be killed by any hit (foooool!).

Lawrence has a bow and Hetwhistle has a sling, which might also make them useful up front. On the otherhand, Oldtin is the only player who can "see equally well by day or night" so perhaps he'd make a good scout, or rearguard?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by coffee » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:21 pm

Oh, that's right. I didn't buy a shield for Fredrik. (And now, of course, I'm trying to remember why...)

But he can hold a torch in his off hand, so that will help.
[f=4]Karl the Fighter (M 9", AC 4/6, HD 1+2, FC Man+1, hp 9/9) mail+shield[/f]

Post by Makofan » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:28 pm

Maybe in a rigid, disciplined, military formation, spears could stab from the second rank, but I don't think so in most ad hoc dungeon melees. I have no problem with characters throwing spears from the second rank, but of course they would not target those characters already in melee, but the group behind.

Post by sully » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:51 am

Ok, round 2. Comments?

Het
Fredrik - Lawrence
Serech - Gunther
Golgudir - Archie
Alkman - Oldtin
Thanis [Stealthy Hero, MV 12′′, AC 7, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, N]. Hooded cloak, padded armor, sword, longbow +1 & quiver of arrows, dagger.

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:36 am

Looks "ideal" to me--assuming they come from the front!

So long as Lawrence and Oldtin are happy to have been swapped around?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by merias » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:32 pm

waysoftheearth wrote:Looks "ideal" to me--assuming they come from the front!

So long as Lawrence and Oldtin are happy to have been swapped around?
Rear-guard sounds fine for Oldtin.
Aldbane the Cleric (Level 5 MV 6" AC 2/3 HD 4 HP 18) plate +1, shield+2, helm, silvered war hammer, sling, staff of healing

Post by Brumbar » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:01 pm

"Well of course i am fine with being up front. I am not a coward after all , but the legendary sir Lawrence. I was only thinking of the wee folk in our party. I did not wish them to miss a moment of the excitement by being further back"

Return to “Gorthaur's Madness”