Q&A


Makofan's Deep Dungeon Crawl PBP

Moderator: Makofan

User avatar

Posts: 16184

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:37 pm

Re: Q&A

Can we buy potions and/or scrolls (including cure spells) from the Wizard Gorthaur?

By the book Clerics (and M-Us) are able to construct their own spell scrolls (including cure spells). So it looks like a cure light wounds costs 100gp and takes a week :|

I guess a question is, if we can't purchase scrolls from Gorthaur, can clerics/M-Us work on scrolls while they are otherwise idle in the stable?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 744

Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:53 pm

Post Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:54 pm

Re: Q&A

waysoftheearth wrote:Can we buy potions and/or scrolls (including cure spells) from the Wizard Gorthaur?

By the book Clerics (and M-Us) are able to construct their own spell scrolls (including cure spells). So it looks like a cure light wounds costs 100gp and takes a week :|

I guess a question is, if we can't purchase scrolls from Gorthaur, can clerics/M-Us work on scrolls while they are otherwise idle in the stable?


Gorthaur has no clerical services available, but working on scrolls is a perfectly fine way to spend a character's down time
User avatar

Posts: 209

Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:16 am

Location: Northern California

Post Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:26 am

Re: Q&A

We have to be able to cast the spell in question, correct? I mean, Serech can't create a scroll of cure light wounds at 1st level (before he ever gets the spell).
User avatar

Posts: 16184

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:30 am

Re: Q&A

riftstone wrote:We have to be able to cast the spell in question, correct? I mean, Serech can't create a scroll of cure light wounds at 1st level (before he ever gets the spell).


I think that's right; it says: Magic-users and clerics can copy spells which they can memorize onto scrolls.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 744

Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:53 pm

Post Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:34 am

Re: Q&A

riftstone wrote:We have to be able to cast the spell in question, correct? I mean, Serech can't create a scroll of cure light wounds at 1st level (before he ever gets the spell).


Correct. You have to hit 2nd level to create Cure scrolls.

First level is hard
User avatar

Posts: 16184

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:47 am

Re: Q&A

The 2nd level cleric is a penitent man, for sure.

But the novice cleric can still read a spell scroll (of any spell level!) and begins play with a book of 1st level spells... so a question for Mako might be: can spells be read directly from spellbooks?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 744

Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:53 pm

Post Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:11 pm

Re: Q&A

Negative. If a spell could be read directly from prayer books, then the spells per day limit would be pointless.
User avatar

Posts: 16184

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:04 pm

Re: Q&A

Makofan wrote:If a spell could be read directly from prayer books, then the spells per day limit would be pointless.

Except that if casting a spell from a books is treated like casting from a scroll it would permanently erase the spell, requiring the M-U to spend100gp and a week of effort to replace a first level spell ;)
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 744

Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:53 pm

Post Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:14 pm

Re: Q&A

waysoftheearth wrote:
Makofan wrote:If a spell could be read directly from prayer books, then the spells per day limit would be pointless.

Except that if casting a spell from a books is treated like casting from a scroll it would permanently erase the spell, requiring the M-U to spend100gp and a week of effort to replace a first level spell ;)


Well then I guess it could be done!
User avatar

Posts: 209

Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:16 am

Location: Northern California

Post Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:44 pm

Re: Q&A

If you cast it from your book, and don't have it memorized, how would you re-create the spell? Wouldn't you have to get it from an external source?
PreviousNext

Return to Gorthaur's Madness

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software