Q&A

Makofan's Deep Dungeon Crawl PBP

Moderator: Makofan

Post Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:37 pm

Re: Q&A

Can we buy potions and/or scrolls (including cure spells) from the Wizard Gorthaur?

By the book Clerics (and M-Us) are able to construct their own spell scrolls (including cure spells). So it looks like a cure light wounds costs 100gp and takes a week :|

I guess a question is, if we can't purchase scrolls from Gorthaur, can clerics/M-Us work on scrolls while they are otherwise idle in the stable?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:54 pm

waysoftheearth wrote:Can we buy potions and/or scrolls (including cure spells) from the Wizard Gorthaur?

By the book Clerics (and M-Us) are able to construct their own spell scrolls (including cure spells). So it looks like a cure light wounds costs 100gp and takes a week :|

I guess a question is, if we can't purchase scrolls from Gorthaur, can clerics/M-Us work on scrolls while they are otherwise idle in the stable?

Gorthaur has no clerical services available, but working on scrolls is a perfectly fine way to spend a character's down time

Post Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:26 am

We have to be able to cast the spell in question, correct? I mean, Serech can't create a scroll of cure light wounds at 1st level (before he ever gets the spell).

Post Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:30 am

riftstone wrote:We have to be able to cast the spell in question, correct? I mean, Serech can't create a scroll of cure light wounds at 1st level (before he ever gets the spell).

I think that's right; it says: Magic-users and clerics can copy spells which they can memorize onto scrolls.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:34 am

riftstone wrote:We have to be able to cast the spell in question, correct? I mean, Serech can't create a scroll of cure light wounds at 1st level (before he ever gets the spell).

Correct. You have to hit 2nd level to create Cure scrolls.

First level is hard

Post Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:47 am

The 2nd level cleric is a penitent man, for sure.

But the novice cleric can still read a spell scroll (of any spell level!) and begins play with a book of 1st level spells... so a question for Mako might be: can spells be read directly from spellbooks?

Post Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:11 pm

Negative. If a spell could be read directly from prayer books, then the spells per day limit would be pointless.

Post Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:04 pm

Makofan wrote:If a spell could be read directly from prayer books, then the spells per day limit would be pointless.

Except that if casting a spell from a books is treated like casting from a scroll it would permanently erase the spell, requiring the M-U to spend100gp and a week of effort to replace a first level spell ;)

Post Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:14 pm

waysoftheearth wrote:
Makofan wrote:If a spell could be read directly from prayer books, then the spells per day limit would be pointless.

Except that if casting a spell from a books is treated like casting from a scroll it would permanently erase the spell, requiring the M-U to spend100gp and a week of effort to replace a first level spell ;)

Well then I guess it could be done!

Post Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:44 pm

If you cast it from your book, and don't have it memorized, how would you re-create the spell? Wouldn't you have to get it from an external source?
PreviousNext

Return to Gorthaur's Madness