[03] The Ziggurat


Waysoftheearth's V3 Demo Game

User avatar

Posts: 16508

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:01 am

Re: [03] The Ziggurat

| A random encounter was indicated for turn 3.8, so the referee dices to learn what is in store: 1d6=5, so it's something from dungeon table II, 1d20=13 so it's Giant Leeches! These horrors occur in groups of 2-12, so the referee dices again: 2d6=4 and learns that there are 4 of the nasty things. It seems that the leeches inhabit the bilge-way that bisects the sunken plaza, and also that these monsters would rightfully have "felt" the tremors of the players moving about nearby.

Thus the referee decides there is no possibility that the leeches are surprised, but will dice to determine if the leeches will surprise the players. The leeches are as sneaky as thieves in their element, and the players are preoccupied with the dimly lit arch, so they will be surprised on a throw of 3-6. 1d6=4, so the leeches have surprise! The encounter distance will be 1d6=5, so 50ft.

Let us suppose that this 50ft is the distance from the banks of the black water to where the players have positioned themselves.

Leeches only move 3" out of water, so they won't cover the full 50ft in their surprise-turn (turn 3.8.1) so they close to 20ft. In fact, the leeches would only need to cover 40ft to enter combat because melee attacks are considered to have a range of 1"; but as they can't cover 40ft it's a moot point.

We now shift to one-minute combat-turns to play out the remainder of this encounter. The surprise turn (3.8.1) has already passed without the players reacting, so we will move immediately to combat turn 3.8.2. |


Having just organised themselves for the imminent ambush attempt, our band of adventurers suddenly notice a freakish series of halfling-sized, blobs--black and glistening--hauling themselves silently toward them across the plaza! Whatever they are, they must have issued from the dark water, and crept unnoticed toward Vergas and his group (including Magnus, Tumbly, and Urtzil) in a broad line. By the time our brothers have noticed the danger, the horrors of the deep are scarcely 20ft away!

Arcus, Biratlan, Potts, and Sullivus are some 30ft-40ft further away, laying in wait adjacent to the left archway.

| The leeches have silently covered 30ft distance in the surprise turn (3.8.1). What do you wish to do next combat turn (3.8.2)? |
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 408

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:32 am

Post Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:34 am

Re: [03] The Ziggurat

"Mgggnnnrrn...", gurgles Urtzil, "So you did find some treasures!"

He drops his bag of worms and pulls a long rusted knife from somewhere in his furs, licking his lips as he does so, then takes pause as he realises the size of the things...
[f=4]Lemmi the Mender (MV 12", AC 7/7, HD 1, hp 5/5, FC Man, N) leather, sword+dagger[/f]
[f=4]Statue of Zax the Gnome Fighter (MV 5", AC 2/4, HD 1+2, hp --/6, FC Man+1, N) plate+sh+helm, pickax[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 106

Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:07 am

Post Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:07 am

Re: [03] The Ziggurat

Vergas gestures to the group of Potts to stay back, apparently hoping that they will still be able to surprise the hooded humanoids when they come to investigate the noise. A lot more noise than Vergas had planned for, but so be it. Vergas then turns to his companions and says "Brothers, let's not spread ourselves too thin, we need to take each of them down quickly! Stinky man, if you have any other skills aside from eating these things, now may be a good time." With that, Vergas leads a charge against the blobs (hoping that Magnus and Tumbly will follow).
User avatar

Posts: 408

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:32 am

Post Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:24 am

Re: [03] The Ziggurat

ratikranger wrote: "Brothers, let's not spread ourselves too thin, we need to take each of them down quickly! Stinky man, if you have any other skills aside from eating these things, now may be a good time." .


"Stinky man?" mutters Urtzil, casting a suspicious eye at Magnus and wrinkling his nose.
[f=4]Lemmi the Mender (MV 12", AC 7/7, HD 1, hp 5/5, FC Man, N) leather, sword+dagger[/f]
[f=4]Statue of Zax the Gnome Fighter (MV 5", AC 2/4, HD 1+2, hp --/6, FC Man+1, N) plate+sh+helm, pickax[/f]

Posts: 50

Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 9:47 am

Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

Post Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:36 am

Re: [03] The Ziggurat

Potts acknowledges Vargas's gesture with a brief nod and turns his eyes towards the direction of the 2 cultists, waiting to see if they advance from their position at the sound of combat, and if so, to pounce from the shadows and strike!
User avatar

Posts: 16508

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:35 pm

Re: [03] The Ziggurat

| It would be ideal to have specific orders for Magnus and Tumbly before we resolve the upcoming combat turn, but if we don't hear from them by today I'll presume they follow Vergas' lead. |
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Posts: 60

Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 2:00 am

Post Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:33 am

Re: [03] The Ziggurat

Assuming they are about twenty feet from us, Mangus with throw his spear and then draw his sword. If the leaches get closer before he can act, Magnus will then just stab at them with his spear.
User avatar

Posts: 46

Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:42 pm

Post Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:07 am

Re: [03] The Ziggurat

Tumbly stares open mouthed at the leeches for a moment. Recovering, he will throw his dagger then charge in with mace.
User avatar

Posts: 78

Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:52 am

Post Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:21 am

Re: [03] The Ziggurat

If the ambush is blown, Biratlan will attack the monks.

If the monks remain unaware of the PCs and the party-members attacked by the leeches look as if they can handle the threat, Biratlan will continue his attempt to ambush the monks.

Otherwise, he'll move to assist his party members, even if this spoils the surprise attack on the NPCs.
User avatar

Posts: 40

Joined: Wed May 21, 2014 11:08 pm

Post Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:51 am

Re: [03] The Ziggurat

DuBeers wrote:If the ambush is blown, Biratlan will attack the monks.

If the monks remain unaware of the PCs and the party-members attacked by the leeches look as if they can handle the threat, Biratlan will continue his attempt to ambush the monks.

Otherwise, he'll move to assist his party members, even if this spoils the surprise attack on the NPCs.

Arcus will more or less mirror Biratian's actions. If we're spotted, he'll first throw his spear at the cultists and then move in to attack with his long sword. Otherwise he'll continue to wait in ambush.
PreviousNext

Return to Delving Deeper Demo Game 2014

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software