Page 4 of 25

Re: [03] The Ziggurat

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:41 am
by sully
Sullivus will make sure his lantern is full of oil and ready to be lit if the interior of the ziggurat is dark.

| I am fine with the proposed marching orders. |

Re: [03] The Ziggurat

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:04 pm
by DuBeers
Agreed grunts Biratlan.

Re: [03] The Ziggurat

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:29 pm
by waysoftheearth
| Dungeon exploration turn 3.4 |

Having chased off the stegosaurs, our company approach the ziggurat itself.

Sullivus spends a minute getting his lantern fired while the others cautiously survey the yawning breach and whatever might lie within.

The breach is at least 10 yards wide, with jagged walls draped with creepers rising high over it. The ground at the breach is littered with split and toppled stones the size of a Man's body, most of which are long since overgrown with mosses and sedge and creepers. The bulk of the rubble has fallen inside the bounds of the structure, where the uneven floor level lies about 20ft lower than that outside.

There are several distinct and apparently well-used paths that weave through the rubble and down into the interior. From your position outside looking in, you can see a broad, cobbled plaza within. The ground is uneven and many of the cobbles are broken or displaced, and many weeds and creepers have worked their way through the cracks between them.

Dimly, there are be seen stout, widely space columns that still support the ceiling, and the mass of the ziggurat, above.

By now Sullivus has his lantern lit...

| Does Magnus wish to carry a torch? |

Re: [03] The Ziggurat

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:39 am
by DuBeers
Biratlan, being the rearguard, will hang back 1 minute. If nobody enters the ruins during that interval he will make his way in, with the (or one of) the light-bearers if possible.

Re: [03] The Ziggurat

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:41 am
by sully
Sullivus says, "Ok, let's proceed, in the order that Vergas has suggested."

Re: [03] The Ziggurat

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:57 am
by aspiringlich
As Arcus enters, he looks upward to make sure nothing is hanging above the entranceway waiting to drop upon the party.

Re: [03] The Ziggurat

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:37 am
by ratikranger
Vergas will try to keep everyone to the marching order (apparently things are big enough for 2 people next to each other). "Onward brothers!"

Re: [03] The Ziggurat

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:19 am
by discuit
Potts notices Arcus inspecting the ceiling, and as such begins searching the ground immediately before the group for any signs of pressure plates or trip wires!

Re: [03] The Ziggurat

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:37 pm
by waysoftheearth
| Dungeon exploration turn 3.5 |

Vergas forms the column up once more and has Arcus and Magnus proceed ahead. The pair sidle cautiously along the muddy, tumble-down path that leads into the structure proper. Arcus checks the stones of the arch overhead, but sees nothing more sinister than a curtain of wet creepers dangling before him, and prods the ground ahead with his spear. The most obvious route is an awkward clamber down the pile of mud and rubble, much of which is trodden flat with use; it appears to be safe--at least for now.

After a short search our pair of fighters plunge into the dimness below the great canopy, and onto the broad cobbled plaza. The vault within feels large and smells wet. Drips and echoes of babbling water can be heard; there might be standing water in here.

As Arcus and Magnus' eyes slowly adjust to the dim conditions (and their fellows clamber down to join them), our heroes begin to appreciate the size of the space. It must be 40 yards across and might have been a circular piazza or curtilage at one time, though now the gardens are long overrun. The cobbles underfoot are damp and uneven and are riddled with morass. What might be some kind of broad avenue lies some 60ft in, flanked by stout 30ft columns, and runs almost directly across the chamber from your left to right; ultimately passing out through broad arches on either side of the plaza. The archway to the left hand side of the chamber is illuminated by the faint but tell tale orange glimmer of distant torch-light...

Almost directly ahead, and directly across the whole of the plaza, is a much wider and darker opening that you can scarcely make out.

What to do?

Re: [03] The Ziggurat

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:59 pm
by DuBeers
| I vote for going left |