[02] Overland in Wet Weather

Waysoftheearth's V3 Demo Game

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon May 26, 2014 4:00 am

| Ordinarily a referee might commence play with the players at the dungeon entry, or even inside the dungeon. However, a little bit of wilderness exploration action was requested over on the Google+ DD Group, so we'll play out the expedition to the dungeon in proper detail...

Turn 1 is a wilderness exploration turn. |

Everybody falls into line, and the long, lonely march overland commences.

The sun is halfway above the horizon, and the sky turning grey-blue as our company trudges out of the safe embrace of the Grey Hart's camp. You're not a quarter mile gone before the sun is fully risen and the camp's morning bell carries clearly to your ears, ringing dolefully to signify the changing of the guard.

Looking back, the camp is a muddy sprawl of several score tents and morning fires encircling the lee side of a grassy hill. Ahead, the grey clouds are gathering over the moors and promise to bring rain before noon. Alas, there is no proper road out to the moorlands, but travelling due east is easy enough; you have only to keep the rising sun ahead of you, and the setting sun behind you. Secure in this knowledge you trudge on...

| The referee would normally dice in secret to determine whether a wilderness encounter would occur each day; these occur on a roll of 6 and are checked once per day in open terrain such as this. 1d6=1 a throw of 1 indicates nothing untoward happens during the first day. Hardly surprising so close to a major camp! |

The ground ahead is undulating and becoming wet and sedgy as you approach the moors. Large puddles and pools of standing water become more frequent, sometimes causing you to deviate from your most direct course in order to remain on higher ground. And soon enough a steady drizzle sets in. Your first meal break is a cheerless affair in the rain, and though there are intermittent patches without rain, there is little respite during the afternoon. The ground grows steadily wetter and muddier, and overall visibility is limited by the rain and the mist that rises off the wet ground.

| Any rain will reduce overland movement rate during a wet season so, if this weather persists, your hike might take three days instead of two. Additionally, the limited visibility conditions due to rain introduce the possibility of becoming lost. The referee would normally determine this in secret, but as this is a demonstration I will roll for the players openly: 1d6=6, so you have remained more or less on track. |

As dusk approaches on the first day those without travelling cloaks are thoroughly wet through. Everyone has wet feet, regardless.

Do you have any any specific arrangements for your overnight camp?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by ratikranger » Mon May 26, 2014 4:35 am

We'll try to find some shelter if at all possible, otherwise this is going to be a really sad journey. But if we can't even find a bunch of trees, so be it. We'll try to get a fire going to keep at least moderately warm, but we'll also try to cover it somewhat by putting spare shields around it (those not currently used by people on watch). Of course we'll keep watch in shifts. Assuming 8-10 hours of rest, we'll use four shifts as follows:

1. Arcus (F1) and Sullivus (MU1)
2. Magnus (F1) and Vergas (C1)
3. Piotr (NM) and Birtalan (F1)
4. Potts (T1) and Tumbly (F1)

| If I should have played this out using dialogue let me know. If anyone isn't happy with this, speak up. It's my first time being "party leader" and I am moderately uncomfortable deciding all of this by myself. My character is not of course, he's super-happy to be in charge. But in my home game, this would probably be at least 10 minutes of heated debate between players before we're finally happy and can go to the next day... |

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon May 26, 2014 5:13 am

re: [02] Overland in Wet Weather

| That's fine Ratikranger; I'm sure everyone is eager to "get to the good stuff", so we'll roll with it. One thing to note is that the magic-types would usually require a full night of rest, and "reasonable" conditions in which to study in the morning. In this case I'll assume that Sullivus will retain his memorised spell (unless it is used during the night). |

There are few proper trees to be seen on the moors, and those there are seem to be long dead skeletons left protruding mournfully from the more abundant shrubs and heath.

The company finds a partially sheltered place among the heath to put their camp, but in truth they are still rather exposed to the elements, and are rueful they didn't bring proper tents. Those who didn't bring cloaks are by now genuinely glum.

An armful of wet twigs and small branches are gathered and the company attempts to make a campfire | As this will not be easy in the wet conditions the ref dices for it: 1d6=3, meaning no such luck! |, but even [p Halfling,leather,short sword,open hand,9,4/4]Potts[/p]--who can make a cookfire almost anywhere--can't encourage the stuff to burn. Eventually the company give up and settle in for a cold, wet night in the wilderness.

| Everybody please strike off one day of supplies.

Now, night time is more dangerous than daytime, but since you are not moving and keeping a low profile without a fire there's less chance you will attract unwanted attention. The ref will dice for an encounter only once during the night: 1d6=2, so nothing unexpected appears.

Now the referee dices for the next days' weather: 1d6+6=7, so overcast but not raining. |

The night passes uneventfully, and you rise at dawn to continue your trek.

For a rare blessing, the rain has let up during the night and not started again. They sky is still overcast, and your clothes have dried cold and hard on you. But medieval life is rife with discomforts such as these and you think little of it. You break your fast on cold jerky, dried fish, and hard bread, and refill your flasks from trickling little streams of fresh rainwater. And then you're on the road again...

Are there any new orders for the next turn (i.e., the next day of wilderness exploration)?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by DuBeers » Mon May 26, 2014 5:49 am

| You're doing fine as party leader, Ratik. |

[pc Human,Fighter1]Biratlan[/pc] stands, bleary-eyed and shivering. Dramorian may have gotten himself lost, or maybe even killed, but the man always wore a cloak. [pc Human,Fighter1]Biratlan[/pc] shivered, then geared up for the day's labors.

Post by discuit » Mon May 26, 2014 9:01 am

[pc Halfling,Thief1]Potts[/pc] is happy to range ahead as a scout if the group desires, might keep us from being ambushed in these treacherous lands!

| Also, I'm more than happy for Ratik to take control of most mundane orders/actions, will probably speed things up considerably. :) |

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon May 26, 2014 11:40 am

Re: [02] Overland in Wet Weather

discuit wrote:With everything packed up and tucked away neatly, and a full stomach to boot, Potts turns to Piotr and says "You want to join me on this little romp Piotr? There might even be a wee bonus in it if ya do, and I could sure use your help as always?"
"Sure, boss," rumbled [p Hired Man,clothes,dagger,torch,12,3/3]Poitr[/p], who would have been happy enough just to get paid and fed regularly. The gift of the dagger was unexpected and | Ref rolls a reaction check to see how our man took to it: 2d6=8, an uncertain result | though [p Hired Man,clothes,dagger,torch,12,3/3]Poitr[/p] was initially a bit chuffed with himself for having it, he's still not sure how he feels about potentially having to use it. The prospect of a bonus certainly sounded enticing before they left camp, but a full day's march in the rain without a cloak now has the poor fellow's spirits down in his cold, sodden boots.

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon May 26, 2014 11:56 am

Re: [02] Overland in Wet Weather

| Only Potts, Sullivus, and Vergas had the foresight (or coin) bring cloaks for wet weather.

This seems like a perfect opportunity for the others to make use of their shock survival stat in order to avoid catching a cold due to their night of exposure.

[p Man,mail+helm,spear,shield,9,8/8]Arcus[/p] and [p Man,plate+helm,spear,open hand,12,9/9]Magnus[/p] are as fit as a pair of Oxen, and never get sick.

[p Man,mail+helm,hand ax,shield,9,8/8]Biratlan[/p] has 11 constitution, and so 80% chance of avoiding a cold. d100 (1-80 is good, 81-100 is bad)=49, so [p Man,mail+helm,hand ax,shield,9,8/8]Biratlan[/p] withstands the adversity of a cold, wet night.

[p Halfling,mail+helm,dagger,shield,9,7/7]Tumbly[/p] has 9 constitution, and so 60% chance of avoiding a cold. d100 (1-60 is good, 61-100 is bad)=24, so [p Halfling,mail+helm,dagger,shield,9,7/7]Tumbly[/p] also withstands the adversity of a cold, wet night.

It seems these medieval mercenaries are hard as nails. But each night spent in the rain will only get tougher.

It is fortunate, perhaps, that our magical-types brought cloaks else their spell books and scrolls might be at risk of getting sodden! |

Post by Idrahil » Mon May 26, 2014 2:07 pm

Re: re: [02] Overland in Wet Weather

"I knew I shoulda brought a cloak." Tumbly holds each nostril in turn and blows, clearing his sinuses. "I could also scout our flank, although this water worries me. I shoulda brought a nice walking stick or pole."

Post by aspiringlich » Mon May 26, 2014 2:53 pm

[pc Human,Fighter1]Arcus:[/pc] "Buck up fellas, a little water never hurt no one."

Post by ratikranger » Mon May 26, 2014 6:51 pm

waysoftheearth wrote:| That's fine Ratikranger; I'm sure everyone is eager to "get to the good stuff", so we'll roll with it. One thing to note is that the magic-types would usually require a full night of rest, and "reasonable" conditions in which to study in the morning. In this case I'll assume that Sullivus will retain his memorised spell (unless it is used during the night). |
| I was trying to get Sullivus his sleep by putting him in the first watch, which gives him the rest of the night to sleep. Ignoring the rain which you seem to say also messes with his spell recovery, do I need to NOT schedule him for watch at all to make sure he gets enough sleep? |

Return to “Delving Deeper V3 Demo 2014”