Out Of Character

Waysoftheearth's V3 Demo Game

Post by DuBeers » Sun May 25, 2014 10:32 pm

Re: Out Of Character

One good way to maximize your turn is to include "if ... then" statements.

If the goblin attacks, then Zippo the Fierce will fire his crossbow.
If the goblin runs, Zippo will drop his crossbow, draw his axe, and pursue it.
If the goblin negotiates, Zippo will move to best cover that gives him a clear shot at it while the party caller talks with it.

Post regularly, even if it is just to say my character is still looking for traps. This will help keep the "energy" of the game up. Once that starts faltering, PbP games tend to fall apart.

Post by the stated deadline.

As Simon has already stated BE VERY CLEAR about who is speaking, to whom he is speaking, and about what he is saying. ALWAYS include your character name and profession, as well as the character name of anyone with whom you're interacting. You may remember Bunko the Fabulous is a magic-user but the referee will probably have to look it up, doing this several times a turn can eat the ref's time up and break the energy of his imagination as he describes the results of your actions.

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon May 26, 2014 12:17 am

ratikranger wrote:Since Vergas is apparently in charge, I was about to post the marching order. Just want to make sure that's cool.
That is precisely what I was going to ask for next ;)
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon May 26, 2014 12:22 am

aspiringlich wrote:Just fyi: living on the east coast of the USA, I think I'm in the opposite time zone from a number of you, so if there's a bit of a delay in my posts, it's probably because I'm still sleeping.
I am in Australia, so I'm asleep while you're awake and vis versa. This actually turns out to work quite well, because it gives everyone an opportunity to post something each day before I respond to you all that night.

I will generally post something each day, but my post won't always signify the end of a turn. Sometimes I will just answer questions, or participate in the in-game banter through an NPC.

I will usually complete a turn when everybody who is "at the pointy end" has posted their intention.

Otherwise, I'll simply play it by ear.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon May 26, 2014 12:26 am

DuBeers wrote:You can't post too much! Seriously ... post away!
True! Richer posts will make the game more enjoyable for everyone.

But also remember that there is only "so much" your PC can do in a turn. With this in mind, it is better to change your orders than to pile on more orders.

I'll only resolve one turn at a time, so there's no need to post orders for more than one turn. Don't worry overly, I'll help guide you ;)

Post by DuBeers » Mon May 26, 2014 12:55 am

I'm fine with the Caller setting marching order and giving general orders.

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon May 26, 2014 12:56 am

FYI -- this board supports an OOC tag which you can use (in the in-game threads) like this:
  Code:
[ooc]This text is out of character. [/ooc]
Which will be rendered like this:

| This text is out of character. |

Post by sully » Mon May 26, 2014 1:13 am

I am also fine with the caller setting the marching order.

Sullivus would request a spot near the middle...
Thanis [Stealthy Hero, MV 12′′, AC 7, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, N]. Hooded cloak, padded armor, sword, longbow +1 & quiver of arrows, dagger.

Post by DuBeers » Mon May 26, 2014 1:16 am

Thanks, Simon. That's good to know.

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon May 26, 2014 3:36 am

FYI -- this board also support the PC tag, which you can (optionally) use wherever you use a PC's name, like this:
  Code:
[pc Human,Fighter1]Dramonrian[/pc]
(Be careful not to include any extra whitespace either side of the comma).

When all is in order, the above is rendered like this:

There once was a fellow named [pc Human,Fighter1]Dramonrian[/pc] who wandered off and got lost...

Mouseover the name to see the additional information.

Post by ratikranger » Mon May 26, 2014 8:06 am

There seems to be some thread/post chaos on [02] but I guess that's because things got copied?

Return to “Delving Deeper V3 Demo 2014”