Out Of Character

Waysoftheearth's V3 Demo Game

Post by ratikranger » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:21 am

Re: Out Of Character

Blasphemous? I so like hearing this. NOT! :mrgreen:

Post by DuBeers » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:45 am

No sweat. I just wanted to make sure that default action was noted ... no big deal. I was merely going to start listing it with each turn.

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:07 pm

DuBeers wrote:No sweat. I just wanted to make sure that default action was noted ... no big deal. I was merely going to start listing it with each turn.
It certainly wouldn't hurt to be explicit about your intentions each turn. I'm running multiple games, and have around 20 PCs on the go at any time, so please don't rely overly on my memory!
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:08 pm

Ready to go again Ratikranger? :)
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by DuBeers » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:56 pm

Understood, and good idea.

Post by ratikranger » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:44 pm

waysoftheearth wrote:Ready to go again Ratikranger? :)
Sure. Put me in! :-)

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:59 pm

sully wrote:"We may want to search all of this level, that we're currently on, before we descend any deeper."
Remember that this demonstration game has a relatively limited scope ;)

Post by ratikranger » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:42 am

On a whim I just checked on the density of water. It's 997.04 kg/m³ so 5 lbs of water (2.27 kg) is 0.002 m³ or 0.6 US gallons. I am bringing this up because of the vial of holy water I am about to pick up from Vergas. It's listed as 5 lbs just like a waterskin. Now for the waterskin 0.6 US gallons makes sense (since a person needs about 0.75 gallons per day to survive) but I sort of doubt that there's really that much holy water? So do the 5 lbs account for the weight of the container instead, or should the weight be less on the equipment list? Sorry, this is really a general DD question unrelated to the game we're playing right now. EDIT: I guess the density of holy water could simply be a lot higher?

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:19 am

ratikranger wrote:On a whim I just checked on the density of water. It's 997.04 kg/m³ so 5 lbs of water (2.27 kg) is 0.002 m³ or 0.6 US gallons. I am bringing this up because of the vial of holy water I am about to pick up from Vergas. It's listed as 5 lbs just like a waterskin. Now for the waterskin 0.6 US gallons makes sense (since a person needs about 0.75 gallons per day to survive) but I sort of doubt that there's really that much holy water? So do the 5 lbs account for the weight of the container instead, or should the weight be less on the equipment list? Sorry, this is really a general DD question unrelated to the game we're playing right now. EDIT: I guess the density of holy water could simply be a lot higher?
LOL! I don't think many of the DD/OD&D "weights" stand up to close scrutiny.
In this case, a "vial" need not be equivalent to a modern test-tube. Even if it contain only a quarter as much fluid as in a waterskin, there can be additional mass in a glass bottle, as well as additional encumbrance value in something you need to handle with due care. I'm okay with 5 lbs for now. Call it 3 lbs if you *really* want to.

It might be worth posting your analysis of fluid weights in the general DD area, here.

Edit: the AD&D DMG would later put a full waterskin at 50cn, and Holy Water/Potions at 25cn. So let's go with 2 lbs for Holy Water--there needs to be enough of it to actually wash your hands and face in, or dunk a baby's head in, or to significantly splash, say, a vampire. I'd guess it has to be at least a generous goblet full and possibly up to a small basin worth.

Post by sully » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:25 pm

waysoftheearth wrote:
sully wrote:"We may want to search all of this level, that we're currently on, before we descend any deeper."
Remember that this demonstration game has a relatively limited scope ;)
To the depths, and not a moment to waste!
Thanis [Stealthy Hero, MV 12′′, AC 7, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, N]. Hooded cloak, padded armor, sword, longbow +1 & quiver of arrows, dagger.

Return to “Delving Deeper V3 Demo 2014”