Heroes in the Making

Waysoftheearth's V3 Demo Game

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu May 22, 2014 10:25 pm

Re: Heroes in the Making

discuit wrote:Do i need to equip my 2 retainers (daggers, food, etc) from my own money, or do they come with a few basics?
Yes, you need to feed and equip your hirelings.

Hirelings are the cheap, "mundane" kind of help. They will perform only mundane duties and typically operate to "standing orders". They won't use much initiative, except to run away, and (with the exception of mercenaries) can't be expected to do any fighting.

Retainers are the "special" kind of help that will use their own initiative, and (subject to loyalty) accompany you pretty much anywhere and help you in a fight, etc. They would expect a share in any treasure, or some equivalent payment. Basically, these are NPC adventurers.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu May 22, 2014 10:29 pm

ratikranger wrote:Does that mean I could play a dwarven cleric instead of a human one?
Normally I'd say go for it, but not for the demo game, sorry.

Vergas is a cleric with 16 wisdom, so he beings with an Illuminated book of (up to) six clerical spells 6d6=1,5,5,3,1,2. So his spell book contains: Cure Light Wounds, Detect Evil, Detect Magic, and Protection from Evil. He also has scrolls of Cure Light Wounds and Protection from Evil.

I have decided that clerical spell are written in Lawful, so you'll be able to read your scrolls.

ratikranger wrote:Confused about the "hammer is cheaper" thing because Warhammer from the weapon list is more expensive than a mace, but Hammer from the equipment list doesn't seem to be meant as a weapon.
The hammer is in table 1.18 (3gp, 5 lb, 3" range). It should probably be added to 1.17 too.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu May 22, 2014 10:34 pm

Idrahil wrote:Tumbly Rumblefist
Very good Idrahil, I assume (from your saving throws) that you've chosen to go fighting man ;)

He'll have 1+2 HD, and be AC 4/5 (front/rear) with mail and shield.

You can post Tumbly over in the PCs thread and the enter the in game thread when you're ready...

Post by DuBeers » Thu May 22, 2014 10:34 pm

I'll post a write up of my PC later tonight. I'm looking forward to the game.

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu May 22, 2014 10:41 pm

ratikranger wrote:If you're going for templar-like clerics, then the sling should probably be out. :cry:
Although the text is not explicit, I believe the original rule implies that clerics should not have the use of missiles. I'll allow clerics to throw hammers, but they can't use slings.

Post by waysoftheearth » Fri May 23, 2014 12:20 am

All, I have added a summary of clarifications/rulings here:

http://forum.immersiveink.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=340

The main things to note are that
1) the weight of armor has become reasonable,
2) clerical spells are now written in Lawful,
3) clerics cannot use slings (but can throw hammers).

Post by sully » Fri May 23, 2014 1:21 am

Well, the dice would suggest the return of The Herald, or at least another cleric.

But since this is a one-off game...

.~-= Sullivus the Apprentice Mage =-~.

Race : Man
Alignment : Neutral

Class & Levels : Magic-User 1
Experience Points : 0

Normal/Heroic: Normal

Appearance
Sullivus does not resemble your average mage. No flowing robes, no pointy hats with stars and moons on it, no iconic staff. Traveling with the Grey Hart will toughen a Man. He wears utilitarian clothes, sturdy boots, and always keeps a dagger handy. The weather usually dictates he keep his cloak wrapped tightly around his body, hood pulled up to ward off the omnipresent chill of the Moors.

Abilities
STR : 12
INT : 12
WIS : 15
DEX : 9
CON : 14
CHA : 9

Armour Class : 9/9 (front/rear)
Hit Dice : 1
Hit Points : X
Saving Throws :
Poison: 13
Wands & Rays: 14
Paralysis & Petrification: 13
Breath Weapon: 16
Spells: 15

Gear
Backpack, leather (worn)
Cloak, traveling (worn)
Lantern (carried)
Dagger (in hand)
Dagger x3 (on bandoleer across chest)
Oil, flask x2 (10 lb) (on belt)
Waterskin (5 lb) (on belt)
Sack, small (empty, in backpack)
Mirror, steel (1 lb) (in backpack)
Oil, flask x3 (15 lb) (in backpack)
Rations, iron (7 lb) (in backpack)
Tinderbox (in backpack)

Wealth
47 gp
sp
cp

Memorised Spells
Charm Person
Thanis [Stealthy Hero, MV 12′′, AC 7, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, N]. Hooded cloak, padded armor, sword, longbow +1 & quiver of arrows, dagger.

Post by waysoftheearth » Fri May 23, 2014 1:43 am

sully wrote:Well, the dice would suggest the return of The Herald, or at least another cleric.
I heard a rumour that The Herald was busy elsewhere? ;)

Seeing that you have a 12 intelligence, your spell book will contain four spells. One of them will be Read Magic and the other three will be determined randomly. (As a cleric with 15 wisdom you'd have five clerical spells instead!)

Are you happy for me to proceed (i.e., roll your spell book)?

Post by sully » Fri May 23, 2014 1:46 am

waysoftheearth wrote:Seeing that you have a 12 intelligence, your spell book will contain four spells. One of them will be Read Magic and the other three will be determined randomly. (As a cleric with 15 wisdom you'd have five clerical spells instead!)

Are you happy for me to proceed (i.e., roll your spell book)?
It sounds like we won't make 2nd level before the game ends, so cleric spells aren't a concern. I'll take some MU spells, please.
Thanis [Stealthy Hero, MV 12′′, AC 7, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, N]. Hooded cloak, padded armor, sword, longbow +1 & quiver of arrows, dagger.

Post by waysoftheearth » Fri May 23, 2014 1:50 am

Here they come... 3d12=3,6,10

Your spellbook contains: Read Magic, Color Spray, Fog Wall, and Protection from Evil.

Nice! Could so easily have been detect magic, light, and comprehend languages ;)

Return to “Delving Deeper V3 Demo 2014”