How To... Link To A Post

Forum features, help, and how tos

Post by ehiker133 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:04 pm

How To... Link To A Post

(Thought I'd move this discussion out of the Hinterlands Welcome thread and dirty up the General Board a bit.)

If you want to link to a specific post in a topic (to add a link to your character sheet in your signature, for example), here is what you have to do:

1. Locate the post to which you want to link.
2. In that post, on the upper right-hand side, near the post date, there is a small circle-shaped button with a triangle in it. When you hover over that button, it says, "Post". Click that button. Your screen won't change much, but you might notice the address bar information does. It displays a bit more info which ties directly to the comment itself.
3. Copy the current address bar information.
4. Now you just have to paste that address bar information wherever you want the link to display. No need to use any code for the link; the forum will recognize the link just fine for what it is. But if you want to make the link look like text, you can use the following format...

{url=http://forum.immersiveink.com/viewtopic ... ond/Mondes (Lvl 3 Halfling, Hinterlands){/url}

You will use "url" tags to create the link. In the opening tag, add the address bar information. Between the opening and closing tags, enter whatever information you want to display. Oh, and you have to replace the { and } symbols with [ and ] symbols in order to get the forum to recognize the code; I used the alternate brackets above so the whole of the code would display. The end result would look like this:

Desmond/Mondes (Lvl 3 Halfling, Hinterlands)

(I'm a moderator on the Unseen Servant forum, which also uses the phpBB forum software, so everything is pretty much the same, as far as forum function is concerned. Happy to answer any forum formatting or function methods anyone might have. I could even just copy over some of the How Tos I wrote for the other forum, if Simon wants...)
Last edited by ehiker133 on Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by mgtremaine » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:26 pm

Re: How To... Link To A Post

Nice! I copied your style and now have a link to my character sheet.

-Mike

PS - In theory Ways can give you back ownership of the posts via the Moderate Control Panel. Once folks start filtering in. Obviously there will be lots of little admin tasks until things are settled but most of the data made it in a legible form.
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Post by ehiker133 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:35 pm

mgtremaine wrote:Nice! I copied your style and now have a link to my character sheet.

-Mike

PS - In theory Ways can give you back ownership of the posts via the Moderate Control Panel. Once folks start filtering in. Obviously there will be lots of little admin tasks until things are settled but most of the data made it in a legible form.

Yeah, it's easy to do on a "per post" basis if you have Admin or Mod access. In each comment, at the bottom-right corner is a row of buttons. Most people will see Quote, !, and <up arrow>. (Or Edit, Quote, !, X (for delete), and <up arrow> if the post is your own.) If you are an Admin or a Mod, I suspect you'd also see a ? button, which allows access to the Post Details. There you can Change Poster to someone else to give that person control over the post.

Might be something we ask WOTE to do just to our individual character sheets once everyone is settled in. I don't think there's any need for him to do that to any other posts we've made (unless something is specifically requested, maybe?).
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:19 pm

ehiker133 wrote:Might be something we ask WOTE to do just to our individual character sheets once everyone is settled in.
Great idea, I'll do that for sure. Thanks for your helpful How Tos :)
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by ehiker133 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:25 pm

waysoftheearth wrote:
ehiker133 wrote:Might be something we ask WOTE to do just to our individual character sheets once everyone is settled in.
Great idea, I'll do that for sure. Thanks for your helpful How Tos :)
It's all written, for the most part. Looks like a few minor changes, probably due to style sheets and such, but that's no big deal. In any case, writing instructional doc is something I like doing. I'll see if there is anything else from the other site that would be useful and bring it over, though most of the other How Tos I wrote for US are related to the dice roller and building macros and such. Since you do all of the dice rolling, we don't need them here.

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:01 pm

How to... see the mostly recently added posts?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by mgtremaine » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:07 pm

http://forum.immersiveink.com/search.ph ... d=newposts

It on the top left of the main page
-Mike
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Post by ehiker133 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:32 pm

mgtremaine wrote:http://forum.immersiveink.com/search.ph ... d=newposts

-Mike
I think he was asking if I'd write a How To about that, Mike...

Post by mgtremaine » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:15 pm

ehiker133 wrote:

-Mike
Doh! :) I think I NEEEEEEEED the game to start up again. You know what I mean...

-Mike

Post by ehiker133 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:18 pm

mgtremaine wrote:
ehiker133 wrote:

-Mike
Doh! :) I think I NEEEEEEEED the game to start up again. You know what I mean...

-Mike
*nods sagely* I do.

Return to “Forum Help”