02 - Battle on the Downs


Mgtremaine's World of Tybor PBP

Moderator: mgtremaine

User avatar

Posts: 81

Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:58 pm

Location: Inside your dice bag, stealing your dice

Post Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:48 pm

Re: 02 - Battle on the Downs

doctorx wrote:To Aurora as she passes; "C'mon, dog; let's go chomp some goblin..."


Coln

She likes kobold more than goblin... but okay. She can come.
"Role, not roll. People who can't accept that in D&D prove that, irl, they can't accept actually THINKING their way to a reward - they want everything to be fast and perfect. That's why real men play OD&D :p" -Me
User avatar

Posts: 1376

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:17 am

Location: San Diego, Ca

Post Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:40 pm

Re: 02 - Battle on the Downs

Hagwen runs back along the ravine towards the town calling across to Rhegaer as she goes. As she passes Coln and Aurora she again calls out "You two; wiv' me!", and gives some extra attention to Aurora who responds with a tail wag and a short enthusiastic bark. All four rush back towards the main battle.

Meanwhile Alrik and Phadian make their way down the ravine and carefully bind up the Bandits one at a time.
# secret roll for duration
eAsp:roll 2d6
mgt's roll comes to 11 [6 5 on 2d6]

Alrik's magic seems to have truly render the bandits helpless, even the act of binding and moving does not rouse them. So the pair search the bandits and disarm them. It takes about 10 or 15 minutes to finish all the binding and searching but when it is done there is a small pile of weapons and handful of small gems.

  • 4 Daggers
  • 8 Small Knives
  • 9 Clubs
  • 1 Mace
  • 5 Suits of Leather Armor [salvageable, the rest where ruined by battle or disrepair]
  • 20 Small Rubies

By the end the bandits start to wake up, the battle is over......
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow
Zem the Dwarf Fighter (MV 7", AC 3/5, HD 1+2, hp 5/6, FC Man+1, L) mail+sh+helm, waraxe[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1376

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:17 am

Location: San Diego, Ca

Post Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:58 pm

Re: 02 - Battle on the Downs

Hagwen, Rhegaer, Coln and Aurora rush up the street just in time to see the grand melee in full swing.

Clearly the initial rush of goblin met the spear formation with awful loss. Goblin bodies are spread across the battlefield, but the press carried them into a general melee and even from the distance the party stands they can see that both sides have suffered heavy losses. The shield wall has all but collapsed, the Watchmen have been thinned, and the spearmen and fighting in close quarters with daggers.

Each side seems at the breaking point, the MIltia wavier and start to drop back while goblin force pauses. Each side is quickly bolster, the Goblin Leader rides into the fray cracking his whip and driving his wolf into the spearmen killing one a and wounding another in a vicious assault. . Sheriff Rol calls out to his men "Do NOT Break men, this is for your HOMES, YOUR FAMILY, YOUR LEGACY!" Rol wades in with his broadsword and executes a devastating series of attacks that leaves 4 goblins dead in the span a minute.

It is at that point the remaining goblins finally break. The Goblin leaders turns and flees and his 5 remains goblins rush after him. The archers manage to take down another goblin and even put an arrow into the Goblin leader as he rides off.

Of the militia the loses are heavy 9 yet live, plus the Bailiff and the Sheriff
  Code:
Shieldwall Ac: 6 1+1: 0/5 0/3 1/6 0/3 0/5
Spearmen Ac: 7 1+1: 0/7 0/3 0/7 3/7 0/5 0/3 3/5 0/3 6 3
Watchmen Ac 6 1+1: 0/5 0/3 0/5 0/3 4
Bowman: Ac 7 1+1 4 7 6


Of the goblins there are 26 dead upon the field. The Battle on the Downs is over, but the lose of life was heavy, if not for the Adventures it would have been far worse. The bandits clearly had intend to run unchallenged through the town.
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow
Zem the Dwarf Fighter (MV 7", AC 3/5, HD 1+2, hp 5/6, FC Man+1, L) mail+sh+helm, waraxe[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 336

Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:04 am

Post Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:03 pm

Re: 02 - Battle on the Downs

Phadian

As the begin to wake up I begin to converse with them.

"This will go better for you if you cooperate fully and answer my questions. Once my other friends are back they may not be so patient."

Looks meaningfully at the bound prisoners.

"Which of you is the leader?"
"Where is you lair?"
"Are there more of you?"

Posts: 416

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:42 pm

Post Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:05 pm

Re: 02 - Battle on the Downs

Hagwen

Hagwen swears as she sees the extent of the slaughter, then runs after the retreating goblins.

If any are still in arrow range she takes a shot, ideally at the leader, but at one of his underlings if he is out of range.

Once this is done she stops, a snarl on her face, her green eyes once again scanning the far distance for any sign of further threat...
User avatar

Posts: 400

Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:22 pm

Location: Southern Quebec

Post Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:53 pm

Re: 02 - Battle on the Downs

Alrik

Alrik will gather up the rubies, counting aloud as he does so "...19, 20. Ah, the spoils of war!"

He turns to Phadian "We can split these rubies and take four each. Will you or the others need any of these weapons? I don't have much use for them, I'm afraid."

Alrik will hand Phadian his four rubies and watch as he questions the bandits.
User avatar

Posts: 1376

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:17 am

Location: San Diego, Ca

Post Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:10 am

Re: 02 - Battle on the Downs

Hagwen makes her way through the wounded and dead trying to get off a final shot at the fleeing goblins, alas they are out of range by the time she gets clear of the battlefield. The goblins have fled in a West-South direction, across some fields into the forests. Hagwen stops and looks south down the road searching for something......

Mean while Coln and Rhegaer and queried by Bailiff Watson. "Aye ye fine lads, you live and look unscathed. Sadly the same can not be said of many a young man here today. I meant to come help you but it all happened so fast here I dared not leave. What happened on the other side?"
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow
Zem the Dwarf Fighter (MV 7", AC 3/5, HD 1+2, hp 5/6, FC Man+1, L) mail+sh+helm, waraxe[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1376

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:17 am

Location: San Diego, Ca

Post Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:26 am

Re: 02 - Battle on the Downs

Phadian questions the bandits while Alrik makes piles of glittering gems.

Which of you is the leader?"
"Ask Rip, he's in charge" says on of the surly fellows. Another quickly chimes in "Rips dead you fool, and I told you this would come to a bad end." A third one pipe up "Shut your gob both you nothing good is coming for us. Best to say nothing"

Phadian wisely separates the one that seems willing to talk and takes him a little apart. After a few minutes Phadian asks some more questions?
"Where is you lair?"
"Are there more of you?"

"Your not kill me are you? I didn't choose this, I had to, I;ve got nothing me kin is all dead, I had no home. This band took me in. We used to hunt around the edge of the shadowmoor, that where we camped. But a couple of month ago Rip came back from hunting swamp boar and said he met someone who was gong to make use all rich. Sure enough this Illmir comes to our camp every so often starts telling us how we'll soon be living in luxury in Alu on the Downs, be charge of everything and everyone. Last week he gives rubies and has us meet his stinking goblins friends. Roargin that one on the wolf he leads them. Rip, Illmir and Roargin had some plan. I sure hope you kill'em. Since I helped will you tell the Sheriff, I don;t want to be executed as a brigand. "
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow
Zem the Dwarf Fighter (MV 7", AC 3/5, HD 1+2, hp 5/6, FC Man+1, L) mail+sh+helm, waraxe[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 336

Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:04 am

Post Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:52 am

Re: 02 - Battle on the Downs

Phadian

"I will let the Sheriff know the useful information you have provided. Who is this Illmir?"

I will see if he answers, if he does I will have another question for him

"Do you know where Roargin's camp is?"

Posts: 416

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:42 pm

Post Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:07 pm

Re: 02 - Battle on the Downs

Hagwen

The warrior-woman turns away with a growl and stomps back to the battle-site, pausing only to scratch Aurora behind the ears; "Nice one, doggie..."

"That weren't a proper attack,"
she grunts to the Sheriff and the Bailiff; "That woz a test o' yer strength; there were eyes all over that raid, markin' yer numbers an' yer tactics. They got wot they wanted, I reckon; Ye'd do well ta look ta yer defences."

"Got a bunch o' prizners over on the South side," she adds with a nod of the head in that direction; "Wizard-boy knew 'is stuff - copped 'em wiv some fancy rainbow-spell. They's human inta the bargain; might 'ave some answers if ya asks 'em proper.."

She casts a cold eye over the fallen goblins, looking to see if any are still showing signs of life, one hand fingering the hilt of her dagger...
PreviousNext

Return to Edge of the Western Sea

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software