02 - Battle on the Downs

Mgtremaine's World of Tybor PBP

Moderator: mgtremaine

Post by CursedDice » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:19 pm

Re: 02 - Battle on the Downs

Coln

Coln and Aurora would follow the others to the ravine.

He'd get out two flasks of black liquid, one with a rag stuffed in it.

"What do you guys think about a nice welcome fire for the goblins in the ravine?" he'd say and grin.
"Role, not roll. People who can't accept that in D&D prove that, irl, they can't accept actually THINKING their way to a reward - they want everything to be fast and perfect. That's why real men play OD&D :p" -Me

Post by doctorx » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:06 pm

Hagwen

Rhegaer: "Lest we find ourselves where? Ca-PASS-itated? I'm not familiar with this place... Is it in the mountains?"

"He means get out the way or get shafted along wiv the gobbos, ya idjit," the woman growls.

At Coln's suggestion she gives an approving look; not at Coln, mind - at Aurora.

"Good dog," she says, though whether this is to man or beast is not easy to discern.

Then: "Aye, g'wan then; let's torch the buggers."

She looks for a suitable spot where the company can take cover.
Last edited by doctorx on Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by mgtremaine » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:27 am

Rhegaer leads and the rest of the party follows. The Bailiff eyes the group and approves "Good lads! I'll be right there as well lets shore up the numbers here. Hoho!"

When the group arrives the setting looks like this. The attacker will enter the map shortly.

# -> House
^ -> the end of the drainage culvert
~ -> water
| \ / _ -> Revine slope
  Code:
..............##....^....P.......##.....
..............##...|~|...........##.....
.............a##H..|~|..................
..............C.../.~.\.................
.................|..~..|................
.........##......|..~..|......RA........
.........##......|..~..|......##........
.................|..~..|......##........
......##........./..~..\................
......##........|...~...|...........##..
................|...~...|...........##..
................|...~...|...............
................|...~...|...............
................/...~...\...............
_____/\________/....~....\_____.........
....................~..........\________
....................~...................
....................~...................
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~.

[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Post by okruse » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:10 am

Phadian

Turns to see if Coin thinks we should join Rhegaer, Alrik, and the hard to understand woman (who seems to like to boss us around without even introducing herself). Realizes his new compatriots are headed south and follows them.

"Yes, it seems this side is covered, so off I go."

I follow them to the south of town.

OOC - Looking at the map I now see letters have appeared. I assume the P is intended to be me. Does the water flow away from the ^ (e.g. is that a high point in this map and the fatter part of the ravine is the low point?) Does it look like we can see into the ravine if we take cover behind the two houses at the top of the map. With those answers I will be able to describe my next action. Also how many feet does each character cover.

Post by mgtremaine » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:57 pm

okruse wrote: OOC - Looking at the map I now see letters have appeared. I assume the P is intended to be me. Does the water flow away from the ^ (e.g. is that a high point in this map and the fatter part of the ravine is the low point?) Does it look like we can see into the ravine if we take cover behind the two houses at the top of the map. With those answers I will be able to describe my next action. Also how many feet does each character cover.
P -> Phadian, as all the letters equal the main party and little "a" is the dog.

Yes the water flows away from the ^
If you turn the text map 90 degrees to the right, shrunk it you should be able to basically place it over the town map.
TOWN MAP HERE

Each . is considered 1" so you movement base is 9 or 12 depending on your armor and all that.

No you can not see down the Ravine if you are hiding behind the houses. But you can certainly see the lip of the slope if you want to take partial cover from missiles and what not. Or just hide from sight.
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Post by doctorx » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:35 pm

Hagwen

"Hmmm..."

The woman glances about her and sniffs the air. A look of suspicion clouds her already-grim features.

"Don't smell no stink o' goblin..."

She drops to the earth and puts an ear to the ground.

"Thought so," she announces swiftly; "The foot-falls is all wrong an' all. It's Men we've got comin' our way or I'm a kobold's fancy-wench."

She jumps back up onto her feet.

"Makes no odds ta me; Men die as well as goblins if ya sticks a shaft in 'em, an' any man as'd draw sword next ta a goblin deserves all the stickin' 'e can get".

She waves a hand in the direction of the creek.

"Either side o' the ravine; let 'em get in close then hit 'em wiv magic from the front, fire from the rear an' the rest of us make pin-cushions o' what's still standin'. What say ye?"
Last edited by doctorx on Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post by ehiker133 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:50 pm

Rhegaer the Red

Rhegaer nods in understanding. Then he moves to one side of the ravine and takes cover behind one of the houses.

| I assume he would be able to do that and then attack once the enemy targets have moved up the ravine? |
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by merias » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:49 pm

Alrik

Alrik follows Rhegaer and hides behind the house. He'll step out and cast when the group gets within 100 feet or so, then step back and out of the way.
Aldbane the Cleric (Level 5 MV 6" AC 2/3 HD 4 HP 18) plate +1, shield+2, helm, silvered war hammer, sling, staff of healing

Post by doctorx » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:13 pm

Hagwen

Hagwen moves to the opposite side of the ravine from Rhegaer, drops flat behind what cover she can find and waits, arrow set to bow string...

Post by mgtremaine » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:32 pm

Map update with the moves...

Remember Ranges are as follows
  Code:
======================================================================
                            Missile Weapons
======================================================================
                                            Shooting  Range       Max
Item                     Cost   Weight   Short   Medium   Long   Range
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Crossbow                 20 gp   10 lb    60ft   120ft   180ft   180yd
Longbow                  40 gp    5 lb    70ft   140ft   210ft   210yd
Shortbow                 25 gp    5 lb    50ft   100ft   150ft   150yd
Sling                     1 gp    1 lb    40ft    80ft   120ft   120yd
---
Dagger (thrown)           3 gp    1 lb     .      30ft     .       .
Hand axe (thrown)         4 gp    5 lb     .      30ft     .       .
Oil (thrown)              2 gp    5 lb     .      30ft     .       .
Spear (thrown)            5 gp    5 lb     .      60ft     .       .
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to “Edge of the Western Sea”