Cleric spell Darkness

Player character options and their spells

Post by Makofan » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:17 pm

Cleric spell Darkness

Light
(reversible, affects: 3" diameter, duration: 6 turns + 1 turn/level, range: 12") Causes an object or volume of space to be lit as if by torchlight, illuminating a 3" diameter. The reverse, darkness, creates a 3" diameter sphere of darkness that is impenetrable even to creatures that see in the dark and to the darkvision spell, but not to the true seeing spell.
Question: Is magical darkness lit by somebody walking in with a light source? Is it dispelled by a Light spell? I know we can all make our own rulings, was wondering if you had a specific meaning in mind

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:21 am

Re: Cleric spell Darkness

I believe the main intent of the darkness spell is that the area of effect is then not illuminated by any normal (non-magical) light.

The rules are not specific about this, but I like the idea that light and darkness can annul one another, and that continuous light can dispel darkness without being ended itself. Continuous darkness could, likewise, dispel light without being ended itself.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by Makofan » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:22 pm

Re: Cleric spell Darkness

waysoftheearth wrote:I believe the main intent of the darkness spell is that the area of effect is then not illuminated by any normal (non-magical) light.

The rules are not specific about this, but I like the idea that light and darkness can annul one another, and that continuous light can dispel darkness without being ended itself. Continuous darkness could, likewise, dispel light without being ended itself.
Thanks, that is more or less how I always played it

Return to “Heroes & Magic”